Maybe It's Real

Chapter Sixteen

Whispers surround me, making my head spin. I keep my head down, staring at my boots.

Left foot, right foot. Left foot, right foot.

I feel nauseous and a pain in my left temple beginning to rise. I take a deep breath and hike my backpack farther up my shoulder. I put my hand on my neck, fixing my hair so no one can see the bite marks.

"Stella?" A quiet voice says. It's loud enough to hear over the shouts and talk of the people around me. I look up and Abbey is walking in sync with me. She gives me a frown. I stare blankly at her.

"You heard?" I ask. Abbey rolls her eyes.

"Everyone has, Stell. Why didn't you call me? I was so worried and then Laurie heard from some football guy that James was put in jail because of how badly he was abusing you. And I totally freaked out" Abbey rambles. I look back down at the dirty floor of the school hallway. I sigh, taking a deep breath, feeling sick.

"I'm sorry, Abbey. I was freaked. I figured you were going to visit me if you were so worried." I pause, then repeat myself, "I'm sorry, Abbey."

Abbey sighs heavily then gives me a smile.

"James is gone. Finally." Abbey says happily. Just hearing his name makes my toes curl and stomache hurt.

"Can we not talk about it? Please?" I mumble. Abbey makes an annoyed face and stops walking. I stop also, facing her. Confused.

"God, Stella. Can't you be happy for once?" Abbey snaps under her breath. A few people stare, maneuvering around us. I stare at Abbey, surprised by her comment. I put my hand to my neck again and narrow my eyes slightly.

"Abbey, it's not that easy." I answer. My voice wavering. Abbey's eyes narrow back and her jaw clenches.

"The ass who has been killing you for the past two years is finally gone and you're moping around! It just pisses me off that you aren't happy that he's actually, finally gone!" Abbey shouts. I flinch at her sudden outburst and dip my head. A small audience has gathered around us and I blink back tears.

"Abbey...What the heck?" I ask. My voice strained. Abbey shakes her head angrily and stalks off. I stand there and the late bell rings for my next class. The audience drifts away, all talking quickly about what they just witnessed. My backpack feels too heavy on my shoulder and I stare at my shoes again. A tear spills from my eye and it falls to the floor.

"Stella?" A familiar, deep voice asks. My heart swells unexpectedly and I lift my head. Eli stands in front of me.

"Are you okay?" He asks. I shake my head. My head feels like it's splitting in half. My heart falling to a million pieces. My best friend gone, just like that.

"No. I'm not okay." I whisper. Eli holds out his hand and I stare at it. Then I look up at Eli. He gives me a weak smile.

"Take my hand. Trust me." Eli says. More tears fall out of my eyes and my heart pounds inside my chest. Next, I do the unthinkable.

I take his hand and trust him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright..
+I like Eli(:
+It's pronounced E-lie. like lye. Not L-E. Well, yeah aha
+comments are fun. silient readers aren't though
+thank you for all who subscribed, I love you(:
+shoutouts next chapter.