My Mistake

one of one

It’s 5:30 in the morning, and Jack is staring at his living room ceiling. The sun is starting to stream in through the curtains that he carelessly threw across the window last night as he was stumbling around the dark room, looking for something that his life sort of kind of depended on. He never found it.

And now he’s lying there miserably, wrapped up in a sleeping bag Alex had thrown at his face before slamming the bedroom door behind him. Jack frowns at the memory and holds his left hand out in front of his face. With the little light in the room, Jack can see that his ring finger is bare and he groans, throwing his head back into the small pillow behind him. That stupid, god-damned ring is the cause of all of his problems right now.

Because seriously – where the fuck did it go?!

The second that Alex noticed that Jack’s ring wasn’t on his finger, Jack knew he was screwed. If there was one thing that meant the world to Alex besides Jack, it was the ring on his finger. And Jack should know better than to lose it.

He’s checked everywhere – the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom. He checked the garbage just in case maybe it fell off while he was throwing something away. He checked the dishwasher. He checked the couch cushions. He checked the medicine cabinet. He checked the towel closet. He pulled their bed apart, looking through all of the bed sheets and pillow cases. It wasn’t in any of those places, and Alex just got even more pissed off.

“How do you not know where it went?!” he had shouted, slamming cereal boxes on the counter in the kitchen, “Do you just not care enough to keep track of it?”

Jack stood there, resembling a fish with the way he kept opening and closing his mouth, unable to come up with a response. And that basically threw Alex over the edge. He stormed into their bedroom, threw Jack a sleeping bag, and slammed the door in his face for the rest of the night, leaving Jack to take the couch.

And now, that’s where Jack finds himself. And it sucks. He sits up on the couch, rubs at his eyes and swings his legs over the side so his feet touch the floor. When he opens his eyes again after rubbing away any evidence of sleep, they land on the small, travel sized dictionary lying by his foot. He bends down and picks it up, quickly flipping it open to the ‘S’ section. His eyes find the word ‘sorry’ and he reads, ‘Definition: remorseful, regretful. Synonyms: apologetic, guilt-ridden.

Yeah. Sounds about right. Jack tosses the book away from him, hearing it land somewhere near the TV. He stands up, his joints cracking and muscles aching from sleeping on the damn couch. He treads into the living room and stands in front of the fridge, staring at the little alphabet magnets – and that’s when he gets an idea. He smiles to himself and sits down on the floor, because Alex really can’t refuse him after this.

Five minutes later, Jack hears footsteps behind him. He places one more alphabet magnet on the fridge before turning, eyes meeting Alex’s. The older boy is standing there in his sweatpants sheepishly, his fingers closed tightly around something in his hand.

“I found your ring,” He says softly, holding his hand out and uncurling his fingers. In his palm lays the silver band that Jack had been pulling his hair out over, “It was in the pocket of my jeans…You gave it to me to hold onto while you were cleaning the fish tank.” Alex’s cheeks are painted with a light blush, and then his eyes land on the front of the fridge, and that makes him bite his lip.

Jack sits there, staring up at Alex with his mouth open in shock. This guy was screaming at him last night for misplacing something that he had all along. His cute apology written on the fridge was totally for nothing.

He stands up and Alex wraps his arms around him, whispering an apology for being such a dick. And Jack shrugs, keeping his hands on Alex’s hips.

“It’s okay. But I think I’m gonna keep the little note up on the fridge…I have a feeling I’ll probably do something that will really be my fault in the future.”

“You always do,” Alex agrees softly, “But you know I always forgive you.”

He smiles slightly as he squeezes Jack’s waist, reading and re-reading the sentence in alphabet magnets.

You know I was dropped on my head as a child – please forgive me for being so careless.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just something kind of cute. :)