Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Fish - Oh no you didn't!

No, no, I do not think I was. He did appear threatening, yes, but not in appearance wise. Only in his aura. In a sense, I believe it could have been quite creepy if he looked as dominant appearance wise as dominant as his vibes were.

With that new resolve in mind, I focused on the board. The bell rang and the teacher came through. She looked like a no nonsense type of teacher. She glanced at me, and gave me a nod. However, she did not introduce me as new, as many others would have. A surge of relief went through me, causing me to be able to hear the blood pumping in my ears.

Ms Cameron pulled out a thick book, the cover and bindings painted blue. She began taking down peoples names.

“Samuel Purswell”

“Here”

My ears perked up at that, especially his last name. Was he related to Elisa? He was probably the brother that was she was talking about.

After I managed to make my mind stop focusing on that one little fact, I managed to sit through the rest of my classes.

Chemistry was hard, the remembering of valencies and such. I did not believe the chemistry teacher, Mr Gus Goff, liked me very much. He was one who forced me to introduce myself. The chemistry room, S10, had one wall made of glass. Only three tables were in shade. The fact that I disturbed his little seating plan made him hate me from the start. My bad luck, well that just made the situation worse.

Now, I had to face the canteen. If my suspicions were right, they served well-done meats, nothing else. They did have a salad bar. I also think they had something different every Wednesday. On weekends, the canteen closed and students were to cook their own meals in their dorms.

Therefore, here I was, standing over the row of meats. It looked like today they were serving roast beef and steak.

I filled my plate with Roast Beef before moving on. At the salad bar, I picked out a few pieces of cheese, tomato and lettuce. I skipped the egg, never had much of a taste for it.

I scanned the large room. There seemed to be no particular type of order. I spotted a small table, only having about four chairs surrounding it, in the room that was empty. With a determined stride, I sat at the table.

I dug into my meat. The taste was fabulous. I believe that these meals are top notch. Once again, I wondered how much my parents were paying so that I could attend this school.

A succession of chairs scraped backwards, I looked up to see the Purswell siblings. Elisa had a cheery smile on her face, her brother sat silently. Alert.

“So how have your classes been?” This came from Samuel

“So far they have been alright. Mr Gus Goff hates me” Unwillingly, my face pulled up into a smile.

“He hates almost everyone. Except for Jae” Elisa seemed upset by the mention of Jae.

“Who is Jae?”

“He is one of the most emotional people you’ll meet. Nevertheless, you will never notice it; it is not until later at night he lets anything affect him. However, he is a generally happy person. Most people notice that and are generally happy to be near him. Even Gus Goff” This was Samuel. His voice was hard, but an underlying gentle note smothered it, making his bad-ass act look exactly like that – an act.

“Did you have him for a roommate or something?”

“Something”

“Oh”

“Well, I believe that’s Jae walking through the door now” Elisa stated this, while delicately picking apart her food.

“Hey Jae!” The booming voice came from Samuel, whom of which suddenly showed more emotion than I had ever seen come from him since I last saw him walking his dog. That feat was not something to be taken lightly.

I turned around, expecting to see another one of the blonde hair beauties that seemed to run in this family.

“Aw damn” Elisa banged the table lightly with her fist “Of Course, as soon as you shout that out, he bolts through the door!” Elisa sent Samuel what could only be described as a stink eye.

“Well I didn’t know he was going to bolt as soon as he saw Adrienne!”

“It’s in his nature! Idiot!”

“Blonde!”

“Dolt! You are blonde too!”

“Why don’t I just leave?” Perhaps they would stop fighting for a second…

“No!” In what was commonly described as perfect harmony, the full force of both Samuel and Elisa combined shouted the singular word in my face.

“Alright!” I put my hands up in a surrender gesture. Elisa and Samuel got back to insulting each other in the process.

“Dog!”

“Fish”

“Oh no you didn’t!” Elisa’s eyes narrowed. I took this as my cue to leave quietly. Almost out the door, I glanced behind my shoulder. Elisa and Samuel still sat next to each other fighting. Samuel was waving a fork around at his sister, looking suspiciously like he wanted to stab her with it. Elisa was practically doing the same, instead holding a carrot in front of his face.

‘If she held that any closer –‘ I mused ‘ – he would have to go cross eyed to actually see it’

Silently, I laughed. Seeing the two of them together left no doubt that they were actually, in fact, brother and sister.