Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Simple but Effective

Methodically, I ran through the usual routine of putting my books in my bag. However, this time I was hurrying, wanting to catch the others before they left.

Keeping in mind that I did not particularly know where I was going, but the heavy thumping of my small bag reminded me that I had to find them.

After getting lost - several times, I finally found my way to the parking lot that had eluded me for about, I glanced around, looking for a clock, ten minutes.

However, when I got there, only one person I knew was leaning up against a small car. It did not look expensive or cheap, but the sleek black paint told me it was new.

However, the person leaning up against the car was neither Samuel, nor Elisa but instead it was Jae, the one I had concluded had been avoiding me for the day.

Walking up to him, I could feel my chest thumping. I would be the first to admit, that yes, he was attractive. Then again, so was Samuel. Were all the males in this family gods? However, if Samuel was a god, Jae was Adonis, perfection at his peak. There must have been a flaw somewhere.

When he saw me walking in his direction he turned his mega watt smile in my direction. Heat blossomed on the skin of my neck, rushing up towards my cheeks.

"Well, look who we have here. Adrienne is it?"

"Yes, here I am" rolling my eyes, I faked an easy going smiling.

"And what do I owe this pleasure to?" his voice was light and teasing.

However, despite the fact I would love to continue this easy bantering between us, I could feel my skin beginning to burn. I think Jae could see the fact that I grew increasingly uncomfortable, for he soon asked what it was that was wrong.

"I'm, in a sense allergic to sunlight. UV rays" I could have sworn that a muscle in his jaw ticked. Was he going to be one of the people who dislike me simply for the fact that there was something wrong with me?

"That's...too bad"

"It does suck sometimes. However, can we please move to the shade? I actually wanted to ask Samuel and Elisa something. Are they here?"

"No sorry. -" he didn't look sorry at all "Just me"

"Oh. That is all right then. I just wanted their help with something. That's all"

"I can help"

"Alright then, one second"

Looking around for shade, I spotted a jacaranda tree. It provided sufficient shade. Deciding that I would huddle underneath that tree while calling home, I strutted over to the tree, pulling out a mobile and dialling home.

Ring. Ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mum. Can I bring a friend over for a little while?"

"Sure"

"Thanks mum. What time are you coming to pick us up?"

"About six?"

"Alright then. See you later"

Ending the call, I slid the silver hunk of metal back into a pocket of my bag. Turning around, I saw Jae standing right behind me.

Jae beamed as I told him my plot, occasionally laughing and even suggesting ideas of his own. Therefore, it was here we sat, me leaning against the headboard of my bed, and him sitting on the foot. The image of seeing him in my door room brought many thoughts to my head, mostly the thoughts of why was this person still sitting here.

After I had told him that he would be coming over to my house to execute the plan, he had rung Elisa and Samuel. He was going to leave to pick them up when mum picked me up. Then he was going drive to my house.

It was only after some time that, that we had elapsed into an awkward silence, though Jae, in no way looked awkward at all.

He radiated an air that radiated what could only be described as comfort. It seemed that he could make himself comfortable with anyone.

We sat staring at each other, just as he looked like he was going to say something, the dorm room door banged open. The sound echoed throughout the whole room.

Eyebrows furrowed, I made my way out of the room. Agata was stomping around the room, knocking her papers off the table.

"Are you okay Agata?" her glare spun to face me, smouldering with unleased anger.

"Just... Just piss off okay? I don't want to deal with you at the moment"

"What happened?"

"What happened is who I thought was my best friend, also known as my boyfriend, has cut off all contact with me. For no reason! I hate guys" her voice caught on a sob, before long tears were running down her face and she was cradling her stomach.

I watched as she sunk to the floor, tears wracking her body. Her small frame suddenly seemed fragile, delicate. She looked in no way like the person she had portrayed herself as the night before.

Sinking next to her, I wrapped an arm around her shoulder. Patting her back soothingly, I peered over her shoulder. Jae stood there, pointing out the window. It was time for me to go, but how could I leave her like this?

"Agata, I have to go but-"

"Don't worry I'll be okay" sniffling a few times, she wiped the moisture from her face.

"But would you like to come with me for awhile. Over to my house I mean?" she gave me a weary smile.

"Sure"

When mum came to pick me up from the school, I was fully prepared for what it was we were about to pull off.

So here, it was I sat, we were almost back to the house I now call home, Jae's headlights screaming into my side mirror. Agata sat in the back seat, still sniffling slightly and wiping the occasional stray tear that leaked from her eyes.

The car was silent as mum turned down the street, pulling into the driveway. Walking up towards the house, I paused at the door.

Jae pulled his car into the driveway, Samuel and Elisa piled out. Elisa ran up the driveway and embraced me in a hug.

After we pulled away, I took her hand, tugging her with me. In turn, Jae, Samuel and Agata followed. Reaching my bedroom, I shut the door. In a lowered voice, I told them of my plan.
“It may be simple, but it will have the affect that you may want it to” Jae whispered the words, almost as if talking to himself, a smile tugging at his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing is going as planned!