Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Garden Sprites

Were my palms sweaty? Or was it just my imagination?

Regardless, I knew I’d soon have to do something. Anything.

Say Hello

My mind had been doing that a lot. Whispering to me. It made me feel as though I were going crazy. Still, Mrs Purswell gave me a knowing look. Her brown eyes twinkling with mirth. I could feel Samuel’s breath one the back of my neck, his eyes drilled to the back of my head.

Meekly, I raised my hand in a half hearted hello. As Trish’s eyes travelled the length of my body, the amused sparkle left her eyes. Horror filled them, turning her face pale, her eyes wide. Her eyes flicked back and forth between Samuel and I, before glaring at her son.

Turning on her heel, skirts swishing, she stalked over to a small rack, filled with jars containing oils, pastes and gels. Rubbing her chin, she scanned the jars. Looking for a particular one.

Plucking out a jar and some clean cloth she motioned for me to sit. As I sat on a chair that was previously tucked up to the table, she dragged the next one over towards me.
We sat there in silence, her fussing around my arms and face, Samuel leaning against the wall. An eternity later, Mrs Purswell was the first one to break the comfortable silence.

“So how did this happen?” Before I could debate to wether or not I should answer the question, Jae answered from the doorway. It made me think how long he had been there. Five minutes? Ten?

“She is allergic to sunlight”

Mrs Purswell – Trish – stopped her work momentarily. Glancing at me, I heard the sharp intake of breath she made. Her eyes held mine, looking sad.

“It must be hard on you dear. I would never know how I could live if I could not go outside and tend to the sprites”

“Sprites?” Her eyes flicked to Jae, before turning back to me.

“My garden. I like to believe there are sprites living in the plants. It makes me feel better. Less crazy. I like talking to them when I garden”

She let out a tinkling laugh; it resembled that of a wind chime. I didn’t voice the opinion out loud, but I did think it. She talked to her garden. Whether or not there were ‘sprites’ living amongst it didn’t make her any less crazy.

We all lapsed back into silence, watching Trish finish applying the paste and then bandaging it. She screwed the lid back onto the jar, before placing it back onto the rack and turning to was her hands in the sink.

“What was in that?” The paste did not smell awful, but it did smell regardless.

“Oh a couple of little things. Olive oil, milk, eggs. Bit of honey”

“Wouldn’t milk go off?”

“Well, yes. But that batch was only made a few minutes before you walked through the door. I had a feeling that someone would need it. Of course, I assumed it was Samuel, so this was a pleasant surprise”

Something in her tone made it seem as if she didn’t just feel like someone would need it, but rather knew. I personally had a feeling that it was Jae that rang. He didn’t seem all that surprised when he was his mum fluttering around the kitchen. With eggs and milk all over her fingers.

“Thank you” Trish turned around, the cloth she was holding. Once more, her expression looked horrified, I glanced at Jae and Samuel. Their expressions mimicked their mothers. Finally she sighed.

“Do not say thank you around me darling. For it implies that you owe me a favour, and that is something I have to collect” Yep, crazy woman indeed.

“Mum was raised in the ‘old country’. Thank you was a way to say that you would return the favour that someone had provided for you” Jae half shrugged.

“So therefore, that means you need to repay me the favour. If you wouldn’t mind dear, could you help me weed my garden?”

“Now?” I didn’t particularly want to hang around to see her talk to the ‘sprites’.

“No, that would be silly. Tonight” her smile stretched wide, and for a second I glimpsed something that wasn’t there. But how was that possible? Something that was plain to see but never there? “Now, you need to go rest. I’m sure one of the boys wouldn’t mind lending you their room” she look expectantly at the boys

“I will” Samuels voice was firm.

Once more, I was guided throughout the house, to a small room. The walls were bare but a tan colour. The was floorboards and a deep green rug. The bed resembled the room – green and brown – and seemed to be a king single.

After he instructed me to lie down and relax, I kicked off my shoes and untied the bandana. The door clicked closed softly, leaving me with my own thoughts.

The deep green blankets and one thousand pillows smelt of pine, and felt like heaven. It seemed like it swallowed me whole. Exhausted, I snuggled further into the blankets letting sleep claim me.

Sexual Imagery Below

It was dark, there was no questions about that. Mist hung everywhere, I felt like I was floating on a cloud. Tendrils of mist seemed to caress my naked body, creating a delicious friction that sent waves of pleasure through my body, making my toes curl.
The tendrils continued stroking, making my limbs thrash, though they seemed to be tied into place. My fingers tried to clutch something, anything.

Something hot coiled low in my stomach, I could feel myself on the edge, about to tumble over. How I wanted to tumble, I really did. I knew that once I did, this sweet agony would feel complete. I teetered, my mind numb with the intense pleasure, before the sweet dream ruptured.

End Sexual Imagery

My eyes, snapped open, my chest heaving. Covered in sweat, I could feel the after affects of the dream. Surely it was a crime to feel as such, to feel so good, but not be able to complete it.

My eyes, wide, my heart, racing. Despite my little nap – not so little, as the clock informed me. (two hours had passed) – I felt even more exhausted then what I did going to sleep.

Dragging my heavy limbs out of the bed, I stumbled. My legs felt like jelly, and wearing a long skirt did in no way help the matter.

The door slammed open, and there was Elisa, hands on hips and grinning evilly. Today she was wearing a light blue sundress with gladiator sandals. Her hair was wet and wrapped in a bun. While her hair was wet, the blue streaks in her hair stood out more then ever, bright, vivid blue.

“Darling, you look fabulous today!” Elisa grinned and helped me up. When I almost stumbled again, she gripped onto my arm harder. Instinctively flinching, I realized I didn’t feel any pain. Confused, I walked over to the bed, stumbling only once.

As I sat on the velvety cover, I slowly unwrapped the bandage around one of my arms. Beneath it, the skin was still slightly pink, and tender to touch. The milk and egg paste surely did the job. Geez, I would never have to worry about the sunlight again.

I chuckled slightly at my train of thoughts and took off all the bandages, revealing the same thing everywhere the paste had touched. I turned to look at Elisa, smiling. She had a thoughtful look on her face. Oh no.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I am terribly sorry if someone was a bit annoyed with that chapter, but it had to happen. I don't particularly like writing it either to be honest -_-

However, onto lighter news!

I started a new story, which unlike this one, I will only be updating every 2 weeks. It's called The Lotus Theatre. I would love for you guys to check it out and leave any comments!