Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

The Folk Tutor

“That is the end for this lesson. Please read Chapter 12 in your textbooks”

As if he were waiting for a cue, the bell sounded, the sharp noise bouncing around the temporarily vacant halls. Silently, I tended my books into a neat pile, sliding them into the backpack that I had begun carrying around.

At the moment that I was about to step my feet out of the door, Mr. Leanoios motioned for me to stay behind. Sighing, I recounted my morning briefly.

Oh yeah. So not in the mood.

I turned round to face him, staring into his murky hazel eyes. I watched as he paced round to the back of his desk, picking up a sheet of paper. After a few moments fiddling he sat on his chair, motioning for me to take a seat. Declining his offer, I waiting in silence.

“Adrienne, is there anything you would like to talk about to me?” I could feel my eyebrows crease together as I thought over his words.

“No Sir. May I ask why you think that?”

“As you are aware, school reports come out soon – “ Silently I nodded my head, indicating for him to continue “ – and quite frankly. You are failing my class”.

“If there is any way that this can be fixed Mr. Leanoios?”

“Well, if we do have your permission, we would like to set you up on a tutoring system”

“That is fine” I could feel my teeth grinding, this man wore by patience to shreds.

“Alright then, come back here after school finishes. We’ll set you up with a tutor and we will see how you go from there” Scribbling on a piece of paper, he handed the slip to me. Reading over it carefully, his writing was truly awful, I noticed it just had my name and his on it. I smiled and nodded, before heading out the door.

Realizing that now would be English, I headed that way. All the meanwhile, dreading the fact that it was on the complete other side of the school, which meant, lots of sun shafts.

Standing once again in front of the tacky blue door, formally known as Mr Leanoios’s room, I felt like banging my head against the door. In the glass reflections across the school halls I noticed that my eyes were circled deeply with dark purple bruises.

I almost laughed to myself; I felt and looked like death warmed over. With agitated movements that I did not care to hide, I slipped into the room. Scattered over the square space were about fifteen people, all in buddies who had their work set out in front of them.

Walking over to a teacher who sat at the front of the classroom, I handed the slip to her. She glanced over the rims of her bright green glasses with a warm smile. She appeared to look young but stress had aged her.

Without a sound she started to note down the few details on the letter and was scanning the roster looking for people who did not as yet have a partner. It looked like she had decided whom I was to be partnered with, for she quickly penciled in my name before slamming the book shut. Inside I grimaced. Anger issues lady.

“Go to that table over there. Get your work out. I’ll be sending your tutor over in a second”

“Thank you”

Walking over to the table and pulling out my textbook and notepad, I waited for the teacher to bring over my partner.

Shuffling around my papers, I heard a familiar noise. Straining my ears, I listened, still glancing down at the pages.

Click, click, click, the noise grew louder, until finally, it stopped.

Looking up, I saw a grinning face. Actually, if I wanted to be more accurate, Trinnean’s grinning face.

“So you’re the one who needs Chem help?” He chuckled to himself, seeming as though he was highly amused. Who was I to judge?

“Yes Sir-ee. That’s Me” Even I could tell that I was being sarcastic. He gently frowned for a second, before putting a smile on his face again.

“Well lets start”

I think I had a genuine smile on my face, though I couldn’t be sure, as he sat down.

“Time’s up!” the teachers voice grated a few tables over from where Trinnean and I currently sat. With few exchanging of words, Trinnean helped me pack my bag, making sure that no papers were crumpled inside the confines of my bag.

“Seeya Trinnean!” as I turned to leave, I could feel his hand wrap around my wrist, or, at least it was sort of my wrist.

“Wait! I think it’s time I told you”

“About what?”

“The Folk”
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise, promise, promise that I'll update more often!