Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Day Trip

"Mother!" I cried. I could tell something had gone wrong. Her watery eyes lifted to gaze at my face. "What is the matter?"

"Oh darling, I'm sorry. Nothing is the matter! Back pains are all" she smiled wearily; the emotions that I could read on her face contradicted what was in her eyes. Her eyes sparkled with happiness, yet, a large tone of sadness threatened to ruin what had been there. She had placed a mask of pain on her face. You would think that after all these years of knowing her, that she would know I could read her as I could that of a book. Apparently not.

I sighed in defeat; I knew that if I only pressed the matter further tonight that she would back into that protective shell of hers. I shook my head slightly, conveying the message subtly that I only wished for her to tell me the truth. I could feel something in the air. It was not tension, no, that would be far too obvious. However, I knew that there was change coming. Was it for the better? I did not know. All that I did know was that it was coming, and it was coming far too fast for my liking.

It was the first time in five years that I had done this. I fell asleep before sunrise. Missed the majestic colours of the early sun. The purples, oranges and pinks. It was something that I had never grown tired of. Never.

There was a reason this time. However, it was risky. I set my alarm for three o'clock. In the afternoon. Maybe I was on a suicide mission. Maybe not. All I knew is that the need to go outside during daytime had filled my whole body. It pushed my body and mind to do things I would not normally do.

No, I do not normally break the rules. This time though, I was desperate, and for reasons that I could not explain either. Therefore, it was here I sat. In the doorway. My arm was stretched above my head, my hand resting on the cold doorknob. I had checked the weather. It was extremely overcast, and the rain was expected to arrive at any minute. This weather was safest for me to go outside. I would not look so strange then. Wrapped in a thick woollen coat, its collar pulled up to protect my neck, a hat, sunglasses and long pants. I knew I was ready to go outside.

Before I could think twice, I pulled open the door with a quick flick of my wrist the door flung open. It was then I remember to grab the sunscreen. Silly me.

Silently, I pulled the door closed and locked it behind me. Mother and father where no the wiser of my whereabouts. It was the way I wanted it to be.

With crisp, sharp paces, I marched along the brick pathway. I could feel the dull throbbing of the sunlight on my skin, as weak as it was. I knew where I was heading. There was a school along this path. A high school. Frankly, I wanted to go. As the large buildings stood in front of me, I could see that most people where in the classrooms. With the wide, glass windows, it was easy to see inside. Apparently, the area I was standing near was the maths and science wing. Students sat at their desks, most of them copying down the notes the teachers wrote on the board.

I think, one person saw me. For suddenly the whole class was sneaking glances out the window. The teacher turned around soon after and caught one person staring at me. Her pale cheeks took on a pink tone, it made her hair look strange. It was purple, a bright, vivid purple. I took one of the strands of my burgundy coloured hair between my fingertips. Did I look like that?

It was then I decided, that I would attend this strange school. Even if it was only for a week. I am sure the teachers would understand about my conditions.

So, with my mind made up, I strode into the school. I was trying not to think about what I was doing, otherwise I would have surely turned tail and ran. This was my day. I was determined to use it.

Striding inside, I saw that not many windows covered the walls of the hall, and those that did where shut. Smiling, I happily removed my hat and coat, pushing my sunglasses onto the top of my head. As I walked, my boots clicked down the hall, I listened as the sound echoed eerily.

Navigating the halls was easy, because though it looked like a large school, it was small. It seemed as though the houses that stood next to it made it tall. It made me think as though the houses where cowering.

As I walked into the school's office, the receptionist looked up, giving my face another glance. Was it my scar she was looking at? It was not a question that I alone could answer, for I could not read peoples minds. No, I was not truly a vampire, though I did feel like one.

"Hello, my name is Adrienne and I was wondering if I may speak with the principal?" She cleared her throat and then held up one long, slim finger. Her nails where French tipped. On her desk, I could see an array of cosmetic products. She must not have a lot of work to do. I tilted my head to the side as I thought, compared to what I knew, they where flat out. Often they brought their work home with them. I must not have known as much as I thought.

"Yes, you may go in right now if you like Ms. Adrienne” the blonde receptionist smiled politely. I returned one of my own smiles before walking up to the principal’s door. Do I knock? It could not have hurt to do so.

As my fist knocked against the light wooden door, I heard a loud call. The principal was a woman. In her late twenties, I would assume.

She had asked me to sit. I explained to her that I wished to attend this school. Then I explained to her that I could not.

“Well Adrienne, it seems to me that the only way you would be able to attend this school was if we asked if the janitors closed all the blinds and you arrived here before dawn and left after dusk” she seemed sympathetic.

“It would seem that way wouldn’t it” It was not a question, though it was phrased as one. My eyelids felt heavy and a yawn escaped my lips.

“Oh dear, you must be exhausted! Here, I’ll arrange for one of the students to drop you off okay?”

“Thankyou Ms Findlay” she smiled sweetly.

It was not long after that that I arrived home. In addition, was greeted with a loud booming voice.

“Where have you been?”

My eyes widened in shock. I think mother is awake. Moreover, not happy at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like to ask you to send me a comment, either on my profile or this story (i'm not bothered, either one), on what you think is going to happen in the story.

Hate to be cruel but I need at least two of these before I post the next chapter :\
I need to see if my story is as predictable as I see it in my own eyes...because maybe thats just because I know what is going to happen