Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Disability

She repeated her question, her voice strong and unyielding.

“Where have you been?” Mum’s voice was loud as she repeated the simple sentence many times, obviously in hopes of hearing a different answer. Behind her, my dad stood silently. His jaw was clenched and eyes steeled, if I listened close enough, I could hear the screeching of his teeth. His veins throbbed in his forehead with the beat of his heart, blue against pale skin.

I stared into my mums eyes, watching her as she searched my face.

“I went to the local high school” my voice was deceivingly steady as I spoke, though I was trying my hardest to not let the quiver of fear affect it that I was feeling so strongly inside myself. Between the fear and guilt, I was determined to win this battle of wills.

“And what, where you exactly doing at the local high school Miss?” Dad’s anger didn’t go unnoticed to me. I bit my lip, fiddling with my fingers. I crossed to the lounge room, sitting down on an overstuffed chair whilst Mum took a seat opposite me, dad choosing to remain standing. I believe he chose to remain standing in order to intimidate me. My fingers trailed along the upholstery, taking in its slightly rough texture.

“I wish to attend school” I bit my lip again, feeling tenderness bloom. They didn’t understand. They would never understand. They didn't have to fear the sun, something that you couldn’t defeat. “This…disease of mine, it’s ruling my life.”

“Honey! How many times do we have to tell you! It’s not a disease! You were born with it, it is apart of you. Besides it’s a disability. Nothing to be ashamed of” she looked proud as she settled back into the chair. She was still angry, but proud of herself. Proud for her ability to cope with my disability.

“I know that” I snarled at her, angry with her easy acceptance, almost forgetting all the years that they had suffered because of me. How many friendships had been lost? “I’m not as stupid as you think I am mother” This argument had to be written down by now, scripted as it were. Predictable to an almost boring degree. Occurring at least twice in a week, we were all used to it.

“I know your not stupid honey” She leant on her knees in front of me, wiping her hands on my hair in what was supposed to be a soothing manner.

“But this disability is ruling my life! I just want to be normal!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry that this is so short.
I'm actually away from my computer and am using my iPod.