Sequel: The Blue Scales

The False Vampire

Blonde Haired Blue Eyed Girl

My fingers made awkward motions as I twirled red strands of hair between them, the movement in itself looking more like my fingers were jerking than simply moving up and down in a practiced rhythm.

I sucked in a large breath, simply concentrating on the feeling of the cool air filling my lungs. I had to admit, I was tired. I still had not adjusted to the new sleeping schedule.

I pushed open the car door, stepping out a waving goodbye to my father, watching as he pulled the car away. I could see the splashes of colour begin to spread across the sky. Not only did streaks of red and yellow accompany it, but also brilliant stripes of royal purple, blues, greens and oranges. It seemed as though a child has taken a dollop of paint, smashed on a canvas and smudged it around with his fingertips.

With the presence of dawn weighing heavy on my shoulders, I marched into the school. It surprised me to see a couple of students wondering around the school already. The majority of the people were heading in a general direction, so, I being the idiot with absolutely no sense of direction, decided to follow them (knowing otherwise I would get lost).

Leaning against a pillar, I observed as many students disappeared behind a door. I had caught one or two glances of people eating inside, and had deemed it the canteen. Would their food be as horrible as they portrayed it to be on TV?

I had earned a few curious glances from teenagers, no matter who they were. I could see the gears turn in their heads. Was I new? What was I like? Who would I hang out with?

It was not long after seven that I decided to get something to eat. I drew myself up to my full height, squaring my shoulders. I felt more as if I was about to enter into an underground wrestling cage then a room full of teenagers.

As the doors swung open, not everyone froze; in fact, it was almost safe to assume that everyone thought I was another person. Keeping my footsteps light, I walked over to the few tables of food near the middle of the room.

Quietly, I snatched an apple, before walking away and sitting at the wall. I ducked my head forward, making sure that a wall of red covered the majority of my face. I didn’t want to deal with the new people at this very second.

I bit into the apple, savouring the taste of it. A coughing noise came from beside me, causing me to jump slightly. Next to me sat a girl. Her hair was long and wavy. It was simply the whitest shade of blonde I had ever seen, contrast greatly to the bright blue streaks that ran through it. Her blue eyes sparkled in the light; her iris’s consisting of so many different shades of blue it was impossible to count them all.

“I’m Elisa Purswell” she held out a pale slender hand to me. Grasping it in my hand, I couldn’t stop thinking how odd her hand shake was. Instead of the normal, her pointer and middle finger resting on the inside of my wrist.'

“Adrienne Haider”

“It is nice to meet you Adrienne”

“Nice to meet you too” I smiled at her. Maybe I could actually have a friendship in this girl.