Status: Completed. Thanks for reading.

Told Me You Hated My G n' R Shirt. Shoulda Known Better, This Was Never Gonna Work.

So like what you like it don't matter to me...

I grab my overnight bag and my dress bag and throw them over my shoulder, then grab my purse and hang it on my elbow and stalk out of my condo. It's probably 7:00 in the morning. I'm never up this early. I'm supposed to be meeting Jason outside and we're going to be heading over to the hotel where we're staying tonight after the Hall of Fame ceremony. After that we're heading over to the place where the ceremony is being held and Jason is going to rehearse with the guys.

I strut out of the building and see a taxi waiting at the curb, and Jason sitting in it waiting for me. When he sees me he gets out of the car.

"It's un-Godly to be awake at this time of day," I say to him, handing him one of my bags so he can put it in the trunk.

"Believe it or not, people do it everyday."

"That doesn't make it right."

"And even at this time of day, you've managed to outdress every woman in the city." I tilt my head sideways and smile at him.

"Aw, thanks Jase."

"Don't tell anyone, you'll ruin my reputation."

"Yeah your reputation as the only guy rock and roll didn't ruin."

"Get in the car." I laugh and get in the taxi and he follows and tells the driver where to take us. I rest my head on his shoulder and yawn as we pull away from the condo.

"The girls are gonna watch the ceremony on TV. They were excited by the fact that I might be on TV," I tell him.

"What about me?"

"They were excited to see you too," I say, yawning again. "Are you nervous?"

"Why would I be nervous? And stop that yawning. If you're going to make it through this whole day you're going to have to wake up."

"I just thought that being with the guys after all these years, and performing in front of all those important people might make you a little nervous."

"There is no reason for me to be nervous about being with the guys after all this time. We were brothers for a very long time, and a part of me will always be their brother. Performing with them will be like breathing, just like it always was. As for performing in front of all those so called important people, you just have to shake that off and go on. Nothing to freak out about."

"Hmm," I sigh.

"Are you nervous?" I laugh.

"Why would I be nervous?"

"Well, it's been a long time since you've done something like this."

"It's not about me tonight. It's about you and your band, and everything that you've accomplished in your careers."

"Your dad will be in it one day."

"Probably."

"Have you thought about what you would do when that day comes?"

"Not really. I'd probably just go and take a few pictures to represent him in the band since I am his only living family. But I don't think I could go onstage and say anything about him. I'm kind of past that. I did it a lot a few years ago, but I don't think I can now."

"I think you could do it when the time comes. You're a strong person, stronger than you think." I look up at him and smile.

"Thanks Jason. That's the best thing anyone has ever said to me."

"Did you have any doubt?"

We arrive at the hotel and we get out and take our things inside to check in. After that, we get in another taxi and go to the place where the ceremony is going to take place.

Jason and I walk side by side into a room where some people tell us that rehearsal is taking place, and the first person I see is the drummer for Metallica, Lars. The members of this band were like family to me for many years, but I haven't seen them very much since Jason quit. Lars looks up when we come in and he immediately comes over to us. He and Jason greet each other, then he gives me a hug. We all talk for a little bit and he introduces us to Robert, the guy who replaced Jason. This moment could prove to be quite awkward, but they seem to be getting along pretty well.

James, the lead singer comes over to us next. He's a tall hulking guy with a loud booming voice and his personality alone towers over everyone else in the room. He gives Jason a big hug and they talk for a few minutes while I just stand next to Jason looking pretty. I figure that that's the least I can do for him, since I've never done it in the past. Stand still and look pretty was never my strong suit. After a minute James notices me standing there, and he keeps looking at me like he recognizes me but he can't place a name or something.

"Hey Papa Het," I finally say to him, using his nickname. I can see that recognition is finally kicking in.

"Holy fuck, you've grown up since I've seen you last. How are you, girl?" he says, pulling me into a one armed hug.

"I'm good," I say with a laugh, hugging him back. We all talk and hang out until the lead guitar player, Kirk shows up, then they all go up onstage and start their rehearsal. Jason brought a couple different basses with him, and I can see that he's working with Robert's tech trying to figure out what to play under James' watchful eye.

"There's gonna be a shit ton of fucking bass," I hear him say loudly, laughing as Jason and Robert start to tune their guitars around each other.

I walk around until I find the Metallica table, then I look at all the name cards on it. I take my seat in the chair labeled, "Jason Newsted, guest," and watch the rehearsal and the other people buzzing around making final preparations for tonight. I notice Jason working on some back-up vocals while he's playing, and I wonder to myself about how long it's really been since he played and sang in front of people. If I ever asked him he probably just shrug it off. I also wonder if he was bluffing when he said that he wasn't nervous at all. I know that back in the day he used to get really nervous everytime before they would do a show.

After rehearsal we all go to a inductee's luncheon and eat a bunch of food that I would probably never think of eating on an everyday basis, then Jason and I get in a cab and head off to the airport to pick up Jason's parents who are flying in from Michigan. We take them back to the hotel that we're staying in and they check into a room. I go back to our room by myself so that Jason and his parent's can hang out by themselves for a while because I know it's the first time they've all been together in forever since Jason hardly ever gets back to Michigan where he grew up.

I lay on my bed and paint my nails and watch VH1 Classic by myself for a while. I roll over on my back and blow on the black polish that I just put on my nails and wait for them to dry. While I do, my phone rings in a text message. I carefully pick up my phone and see that it's from Matt.

"Hey girl. What up?"

"Not much. In hotel room by myself. Bored as fuck. What up with you?" I send back.

"At lunch with Madison." I find it a little odd that he's at lunch with my best friend and he's texting me.

"Gotta go, Jason's here. TTYL." I send back just to get off the phone. I don't really want to get into things with Matt, just because I don't really think it would be cool to get involved with a guy that Madison has been with, and apparently is still with in some sense of the word. Unless she OK'd it, and they weren't together then I would be fine with it... maybe. Matt just seems like the guy you think you want, but should never have.

The ceremony doesn't start until eight, but we have to get there at like, six-thirty to take pictures and do the whole deal that goes along with this. If it was anybody but Jason I probably would have said no to this, because in all honesty it's a major pain in the ass. You have to get all dressed up, get in a limo, walk on a red carpet in front of a bunch of photographers, then you have to go sit inside with a bunch of fancy ass people that you don't know, at a table where you can't really drink anything but champagne because everyone else at the table is sober. It's just a long process. It's a good thing I love Jason, is all I'm saying.

I get up from the bed and go over to where my dress is hanging in the small closet in the room. The girls and I went shopping last week and I bought an Alexander McQueen dress. It's black, sleeveless and it's hem falls just below the knee. It has ladder style cut-outs all the way up and down the sides, which I thought were edgy without being trashy, which is good for this type of event. It is Rock n' Roll. I also picked out some Alexander McQueen pumps that are studded to go with the dress.

I go over to Jason's clothing bags that are hanging over the desk chair and I unzip them. I personally have no qualms about going through his stuff, it's not like I'm going to be surprised by anything. He has a pretty simple all black suit with a charcoal colored shirt and a black tie and shoes. Very nice. I zip the bag back up and go into the bathroom to start getting ready. For this type of event I need at least two hours to get ready.

I take long shower and when I'm done I come out and put on a robe, and start styling my hair. I curl my hair and then fluff it up with my hands so it looks messy. After I'm done there, I do my make-up. When I come out of the bathroom I see Jason buttoning up his shirt.

"I didn't know you were here," I say to him, collecting my dress.

"Mmhm," he mumbles.

"How were your parents?"

"Good." I nod and take my dress into the bathroom to put it on. I take the robe off and slip into the dress, and zip it up successfully by myself, then I go back out to the room where Jason is now working on his tie, not having much luck.

I go over to him and take the tie from him, and start tying it for him. He's looking down at me the whole time, watching me carefully but not saying a word. When I'm done, I tighten it and look up at him and smile.

"Not bad. Where did you learn to do that?"

"You don't wanna know," I say with a devilish smirk.

"You're right I probably don't." I walk away from him and put my shoes on, then put my earrings in my ears.

"Well, what do you think?" I ask him, holding my hands out at my sides for him to see. He gives me a once over and nods.

"You look beautiful."

"Really?" I say girlishly.

"Of course. How do I look?"

"Like a rockstar." He snorts.

"Rockstar wannabe."

"Well actually it would be rockstar has-been."

"That's true." We laugh and I put my arm through his, and we leave the room to go get his parents then head off to the ceremony.

When we get to the ceremony, Jason's parent's go straight into the building to sit down and wait, but since I'm Jason's date he's forcing me to walk with him on the red carpet and take pictures.

There are a shit ton of photographers all standing behind a velvet rope taking pictures of all the people attending the ceremony. Well, at least the ones who mean something. I'm sure if I was just here by myself I wouldn't be getting my picture taken. I link arms with Jason and we pose for a few pictures together, then we meet up with the other guys and their families and take some more with them. Then Jason takes a few by himself with the guys while I stand by and wait for him to go inside.

A band assistant leads us inside to where we're supposed to sit during the ceremony, and a waiter immediately serves us glasses of champagne. I told myself I was not allowed to get drunk here, for Jason's sake. How embarrassing would that be for him, to have his much younger date get shit faced while he's accepting this amazing honor. No, I won't do that to him. Most of the guys don't even drink their champagne because they've been sober for years now.

We watch as several other amazing legendary artists accept their honor, including Run DMC. I almost geek out a little when Eminem comes onstage to present them with their honor. Before it's time for Metallica to get their honor, someone comes and gets all the guys and escorts them backstage to get ready for their performance. The bass player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers comes out to present the band, and he makes a really nice speech, then there's a video montage of the band from over the years. After that, he announces the band. I'm sitting alone at the table with all of the other wives and families, but as soon as the guys come out I stand up to watch.

They perform a medley of several of their hit songs, and it makes me so happy to see Jason doing his thing up onstage. I was too young to remember this band back in their hayday, so it's really awesome to see them all together now. When they're done they get a standing ovation. I'm so proud in this moment. Jason looks out into the crowd and points out me and his parents. He winks at me and smiles, then they all go over to accept their honor and make speeches.

After their speeches, they go backstage and a little while later they retake the stage to do a group performance with a bunch of other performers, most of who I've been listening to my whole life. Even if this was a pain in the ass, it was so worth it. This has been such an amazing night.

When the ceremony is over Jason and I go to the after party by ourselves. Jason's parent's have to leave tomorrow, so they went back to the hotel to sleep. We hang with the band mostly, talking and hanging out. This party is actually more fun than the ceremony because everyone is looser. Everyone is talking to each other and laughing and telling stories.

After the party Jason and I go back to our hotel room. It's about four in the morning by the time we get in our room and get out of our nice clothes and into sweats.

"You were really awesome out there tonight," I tell him, tearing open a bag of cheese puffs and laying on my stomach across the foot of his bed.

"It was fun, but I'm glad it's over. I'm ready to just have things be normal again, and to just fade off and have no one recognize me again," he says, taking the bag from me.

"I get that." I look at my phone and see texts from Jackie, Madison, Matt and Sal. I sigh out loud when I see Matt's name.

"What?" Jason asks me.

"Matt."

"What about him?"

"He keeps flirting with me and texting me."

"And?"

"And he's apparently with Madison, and that's never gonna work with me."

"So tell him."

"I don't know."

"Don't you and Sal sort of have a thing going right now?" I shrug.

"I like Sal, but I don't see it being anything more than what it is right now." He nods and passes me back the bag of cheese puffs.

We hang out until about five in the morning, then we decide to get a couple hours of sleep before we head back to Manhattan in the morning. I crawl into my bed and pull the covers up to my ears. Jason turns the TV off and puts the remote on the night stand in between our beds.

"What are you doing?" I ask him, lifting my head and looking over at him.

"I'm going to bed."

"You shut the TV off."

"Yeah, so?"

"I like it on when I sleep."

"Why? You're supposed to be sleeping, not watching TV."

"It relaxes me." He raises an eyebrow at me.

"It relaxes you. How is that yapping in the background while you're trying to sleep, relaxing?"

"I just like it, OK? Now turn it back on!"

"Fine, I'll turn it back on," he flips the TV on and adjusts the volume. "Do you have a specific channel that relaxes you, or is any one of them fine?" he asks sarcastically.

"I like the Food Network." He gives me a sideways glance, looking like he wants to shoot himself, or me.

"The Food Network. Alright fine, Food Network it is then." He flips on the channel then slams his body down in his bed.

"Night night, Jason," I say to him.

"Goodnight Shayna."
♠ ♠ ♠
Shayna's outfit.
I'm not a huge fan of this one, but whatever.
Comments are love.
Morgan.