Dreams

Let The Good Times Roll

The sun was only just beginning to set - slinking it's way down the inferno of color that painted the sky. Birds chirped, the seagulls' annoying yelp piercing through the quiet, humid air, and summer music could be heard from a car driving by - its car windows rolled all the way down.

I readjusted my Ray Bands and leaned against the side of the mall, watching the summer pass by while waiting for Conrad. Bringing my hand to my face, I looked at my bit and paint-chipped nails absentmindedly. Ever since I started piano in the third grade, I've always kept my nails short and whenever I painted them, I'd find a new color to change them to within a day or two.

"I never would have pegged you as the kind of girl who cared that much about her nails," someone said behind me, and I nearly jumped ten feet in the air. Turning toward the source of the voice, I found Chad standing there - watching me carefully.

Like the first day I met him, his eyes raked over me and I subconsciously crossed my arms over my chest. "Oh, it's just you," I say quietly.

"It's just me?" Chad raises an eyebrow and chuckles, "Well, then. I see how it is."

"Didn't we settle this the other day?" I sigh before quickly adding, "And what are you doing out here, anyway?"

Chad rolls his eyes, "I agree, we did settle this the other day. And with all due respect, doll, you don't own the mall. I can come out here and smoke if I want to."

It's then that I notice the slender white cigarette in his hand before he brings it to his mouth, strikes a match, and lights it. He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes, before blowing the rings of smoke back into my face.

My nose scrunches in disgust - I've always hated the smell of cigarettes, even when my parents smoked for a short time while was in middle school. I just never grew accustomed to the awful stench.

"Those things will kill you someday," I say, staring up the sky.

Chad laughs to himself, "It's not like you'd mind."

I can't help the small smile that comes to my lips and I look at him, "I don't hate you enough to wish you'd die. Only enough so that I can't stand to be around you."

He shrugs before taking another drag, "Same difference."

I glance into the doorway, seeing if Conrad was on his way and sigh in disappointment when I don't see a sign of him.

"Where art thou Romeo?" Chad asks, the corners of his mouth twitching upward.

"On his way," I reply indifferently. Then suddenly there's a worried voice in the back of my mind, telling me that he somehow saw me with Tyler and came to the conclusion that something was between us. I tried to quiet that voice but failed...pathetically. Thinking about ignoring it only made me think about it more, which got me more worried which made me realize I needed to distract myself and...it was just an endless cycle.

Chad nods and blows rings into the air from his cigarette, "So Ben told me that you saw him and Brenna get baked in the back room at American Eagle."

I nod, "They're lucky they didn't stink up all the clothes in there...or set off the smoke detectors for that matter."

He laughs, "If I didn't know Ben any better, I'd actually think he's falling for her."

Everything in my body freezes. Was Ben just using Brenna? I swallow, "What - What to you, uh, mean if you didn't know him any better?"

Chad stomps out his cigarette bud and shrugs at me, "He was planning on just hooking up with her, but all he ever talks about now is 'Brenna looked so beautiful today. Where should I take her on our next date? Do you think she likes me as much as I like her?' It's seriously getting on my nerves. I'll deck him one of these days to get him to shut up."

I laugh just as Conrad comes flying out the back door. "Hi! My manager caught me lying on the floor and I had this whole lecture on working hard and then I ran into one of my old friends from high school and --."

Laughing, I put my finger to his lips, "No worries."

He picks me up from around the waist into a tight hug and I notice Chad's disappeared back inside the mall. Considering he punched Conrad just a couple days ago, I'd say this was probably for the best. "Thank you," he whispers near my ear and the hairs on my neck rise. My heart stutters. My breathing stops.

I pull back and notice that his hair is even more all-over-the-place than usual. I smile at him before fixing it quickly and saying, "You're welcome."

He takes my hand before heading toward his car, and just as I finish putting his hair just-so, he runs a hand through it. I roll my eyes, "You goon. I just fixed it!"

Even though I'm not looking at his face I can still imagine his smile before his chuckle follows. He pulls my hand, yanking me toward him, and wraps his arms instinctively around my waist before kissing me.

When we pull away, his breathing is hot on my face and my back is pressed against the side of somebody's car. "That's what you get for calling me a goon," he whispers, his eyes still partially closed.

I smile and peck his lips, "Then I just might call you that more often."

He kisses me back quickly, retorting, "Well, I lied. I just really wanted to kiss you." A giggle escapes my lips and he gives me a disbelieving look, "Ms. Sara, did you just giggle?"

Consequently, I giggle again and push his chest playfully, skipping toward his car. I feel his hand reach for mine, entwining our fingers. When we finally reach the familiar vehicle, I finally ask, "And where are we going?"

"It's a secret," he whispers loudly, opening the car doors. "But you'll love it all the same."

"And what makes you so sure?" I reply, cocking my head to side.

Conrad laughs and it's the best noise I've heard all day, "Because I'll be there with you, silly."