Dreams

I'm Going Down

At work, Brenna had a horrible headache. The guy we had talked to yesterday wasn't there, but another guy named Evan taught us the ropes. It was pretty easy, even with someone with a bitch of a hangover.

Ben and Chad weren't working today, and I couldn't even express how glad I was. After last night, I didn't want to see either of them for a while. Brenna didn't remember trying to go off with Ben, and it wasn't something I planned on telling her. Sometimes, between best friends, things are better left unsaid.

“What happened last night?” Brenna asked running a hand through her hair. We were organizing stuff out back and I shrugged, “You got absolutely wasted. But I made sure you didn't do anything more stupid.”

She made a face at me but I laughed just as Evan came in the door. “I'm running down to the food court, any one want anything?”

“Wanna just share a pizza?” I asked.

“That was exactly what I was craving,” Evan said, smiling at me. We both looked at Brenna and she shrugged, “Sure, just don't count on me eating a lot.”

Once he left, we had to man the floor so I stayed at the register while Brenna helped people with sizes and outfits – she was always better with that anyway. I fiddled with receipts and glanced at the door, waiting for Conrad to walk in. He had said he would stop by, right?

Or maybe he was waiting for me to stop by his store?

Oh, well, I thought. I don't really care.

But the truth was, I did.

“Sara, do we have this shirt out back in purple?” Brenna yelled at me from the fitting rooms.
I jumped at the sounds of her voice but slid off of my stool anyway. “I'll check. What size?”

Brenna consulted with the costumer and said, “Medium.”

“Just a second.”

I swung the back doors open and searched through endless racks. Finally, I found the shirt Brenna was looking for in the correct size and was on my way out when Evan walked in with a pizza box.

“Sara, there is a totally yummy-looking guy out there looking for you.”

I rolled my eyes and said, “Who?”

“Does it look like I know? He's tall, dark curly hair...”

I smiled slightly, “Conrad?”

“Ha! So you know him!”

“Yeah I guess.”

“It's a yes or no question.”

“Yes.”

“Then go talk to him!”

Evan pushed me through the door and I stumbled into a teenage girl. “I'm sorry,” I said.

“Oh, Sara there you are!” Brenna called, “Did you find it?”

“Right here,” I replied, handing it to her.

“Thank you! And did Evan tell you about the guy...”

“Yeah, I'm making my way over there.”

She gave me a thumbs up and smiled before heading off back to the costumer.
Finally after pushing through racks of clothes and a group of teenagers fretting over a sale, I reached the counter.

Only Conrad wasn't there.

I looked around the store, searching for his dark, curly hair but I only found a sea of girls' heads. I sighed and looked down at the counter to find a note in scrawly handwriting.

"To Sara without the h."

I smiled to myself and opened the paper.

Only there was nothing written.

“What does it say?” Evan said over my shoulder.

I shrugged and flipped it over, “I don't know...I met him yesterday.”

“Yesterday?”

I nodded and noticed Conrad's writing at the bottom of the paper.

Sorry I didn't see you. I'll stop by later. - Conrad

“Isn't is a tad soon to be writing love letters? I mean...no matter how gorgeous he may be.”

I rolled my eyes, “One, this isn't a love letter. And Two, he's not even that good-looking.”

“Who isn't?” Someone asked behind me.

I jumped and turned toward the counter, seeing a line begin to form. “I'm sorry you had to wait, miss.” I said, scanning a few tops and jeans. She was about my age, maybe a little bit older and had, I assumed, her little sister with her. The little girl looked me up and down with an observant expression, taking in my some-what tan skin, dirty-blonde hair, and blue eyes, and I knew with one look of her solemn gaze that she envied me. Envied me. I couldn't even begin to think of what she would feel about Brenna.

After I rung up a few more people, the line began to die down again. I looked toward the front door and noticed Conrad stroll in, saying hello people he hasn't even met and wearing that care-free smile. I knew I wasn't supposed to like him, I knew I wasn't supposed to fall for him, but when his gaze locked with mine, I knew I was beginning to fall for him.

“Evan,” I said behind me, quietly, “Can you talk to Conrad? I need to um...take care of things out back.”

He gaze me a skeptical gaze, but I knew he understood – at least I hoped I did. “Sure.”

I slipped from behind the counter and pulled Brenna into the back room, listening to the radio all American Eagle employees had.

“Tell him I went on my lunch break,” I said into it.

“What's going on?” Brenna asked, hands on her hips – classic Brenna move.

“There's a guy out there who likes me and I just want to get rid of him before I lead him on or anything.” I was surprised how easily the lie came to my lips, but Brenna had known me long enough to tell when I was lying – no matter how good I was at it.

“Tell me the truth,” she pleaded.

“Well there is a guy out there and –.”

“Ohmigawd, you like him, don't you.” Brenna smiled and pointed a finger at me, “Your blushing!” She stole the radio out of my hands and said, “Evan, set up a date for them.”

“No!” I said loudly, attempting to retrieve it, “Brenna, you're forgetting one little problem – Chad.”

She frowned at me, “I know you don't like him, so just break it off and go out with this kid.”

“What about Ben?”

“What about it? He was the one who told me that when you two break up, he'd still go out with me.”

I sighed just as Evan walked through the door with an amused expression. “Hi, ladies.”

“So what happened?” I asked.

“Well I told him you were out back and he said he'd wait.”

“I told you to tell him I was on lunch break.”

“Well it was impossible to talk with anyone with you two screaming in my ear, so I turned down the volume.” He shrugged, “Sorry.”

“So he's still out there?”

“Yup.”

Brenna smiled and pushed me through the door, “Go!”

For the second time today, I crashed into a girl coming out of the back room and slowly made my way to the counter. Finally there, I drummed my fingers on the counter and smiled politely, “How can I help you today?”

Conrad smiled and those caramel colored eyes sparkled, “I was wondering if I could take you out somewhere.”

I fought back a smirk and shrugged, “I've gotta drunk boyfriend to care for nowadays.”

“So I've heard,” he said simply, “Just friends.”

I put his letter on the counter, “Just friends, huh?”

He laughed and said, “I'm just a simple guy asking for one measly date with a beautiful girl.”

I blushed and fumbled with the papers under the desk, “I don't know, Conrad.”

“Please?”

I looked him in the eyes and I think my heart melted, “I...I'll think about it.”

“Well when you decide,” he pushed away from the counter and I noticed that dark curly hair again, and wondered what it would be like to run my hands through it. “There's a party tomorrow night. If you want, come. If not,” he shrugged, “Just don't show up. It's that simple.”

“Well is there something special about this party?”

Conrad smiled, “Well I'll be there.”

I shook my head, “This is just the second day we've known each other, right?”

He leaned against the counter now, so close I could feel his warm breath on my skin, “Am I really that painful to be around?”

“No,” I said, “You just don't fully grasp the concept of someone trying to turn you down nicely.”

“No pain, no game is how I look at it.”

I laughed and played with his letter, “See you later, Conrad.”

“See you tomorrow, Sara,” he said confidently, smiling.

And even though I shook my head, we both knew I'd be there.