Status: Started 9/26/2010

Invisible Handcuffs

Three

I sat in the chair with my arms folded. I was glaring at nothing in particular. Everyone said that I was through a temper tantrum, but I could care less. I was infuriated.

My mom was letting her get off with a crime. She stole my car and she wouldn’t let me put two cents in. She wouldn’t even ask me what I thought about letting the criminal go.

I was officially calling her a criminal. I didn’t know her name, nor did I want to. Besides, she was a criminal. Almost every cop down here knew her and her two friends. This wasn’t there first time being arrested. This wasn’t their first time being down here for grand theft auto either. They were criminals and my mom wanted to set them free.

The sound of Angela’s heels clicking on the floor caused me to look up. She was walking down the hall next to my mom. The two were both heavily engrossed in a conversation. I narrowed my eyes at the sight of them. They just couldn’t let me lock her away could they?

“Okay I’ll start on the paperwork and send it by her tomorrow,” Angela spoke.

She then turned to face my mom. The corners of her lips were turned upwards into a smile. My mom didn’t hesitate to return the gesture.

“Thanks again for giving her a second chance, Ms. Pattie,” she spoke.

“Don’t worry about it. I think she deserves a second chance,” my mom spoke.

I scoffed not caring if anyone heard. This was unbelievable. A criminal is a criminal, especially one who has committed the same crime more than once. I might understand if this was her first time here, but it wasn’t. She was a repeat offender.

“I’m glad that you feel that way. I’ll make sure that she’s on time tomorrow,”

My head immediately shot up. I became curious about what the two were saying. I wanted to know what criminal needed to be on time for. I wanted to know what she was going to be doing instead of rotting in a dark cell, behind rusty iron bars.

“I’m sure she will be. Talk to you soon,” my mom spoke.

Angela nodded her head before giving my mom a small wave. She gave me a wave as well before she walked out of the building.

I immediately turned my head towards my mom. Her lips were still displaying a warm mother like smile. She adjusted her purse before she glanced at me. She shook her head before she walked towards me.

“Honestly Justin, why are you so angry about this?” she questioned. She crossed her arms over her chest as she gave me one of her looks.

I didn’t understand how she wasn’t angry about this. A few hours ago, she was worried that I was hurt, now she’s turned over a new leaf. Now she’s upset because I wanted justice to be served. If her car was stolen she would feel the same way as I did right now.

“You should be happy about giving someone a second chance,”

“She’s had about fifty of them already,” I muttered under my breath.

My mother didn’t hear me but I could tell by the look on her face that she knew that I had made a comment. She sighed, realizing that I wasn’t going to let go of the situation. She walked over to the front desk, asking them where we could pick my car up.

My arms were crossed tightly across my chest as I sunk lower in my chair. I muttered curses under my breath as I narrowed my eyes. This wasn’t fair in any way. No one concerned asking me what I thought about releasing a criminal. Instead everyone tells me that I should be grateful that I’m helping someone out. If they were in my situation they would feel the exact same way.

“I’m not enjoying this anymore than you are,” a female voice mumbled. I looked up only to scowl at the sight.

Criminal stood in front of me, without handcuffs. Her arms were crossed under her chest, lifting them, allowing them to look bigger than they already were. Her weight was shifted onto her right leg. She was looking away from me over her shoulder; her lips were formed in a straight line.

Her caramel skin showed that she was mixed. She wasn’t a size two either, she had curves, but she was still a nice size. She was on the small side when it came to height, she couldn’t be taller than 5’2”.

As much as I hated to admit it, criminal was attractive. If she wasn’t a criminal, she would definitely be my type. It was a shame that she had to be a criminal. If she wasn’t then I wouldn’t mind having her around.

“Really? I thought every criminal would enjoy getting away with a crime,” I harshly spat. I continued to glare at her as I sat up straight in my seat. I dropped my hands onto the arm rests, clutching them in anger.

She rolled her eyes but continued to look over her shoulder. “Do I look like your average criminal?” she questioned.

“No, but that’s not what makes you a criminal. It’s the stealing cars and having a record that makes you look like a criminal,”

“Well you were checking me out pretty hard there a few minutes ago. So I guess that doesn’t matter to you now does it?”

I tried to hide how taken a back I was by her comment, or the fact that she saw me looking at her. She was looking over her shoulder at the time, how could she have noticed me.

“Never mind, it doesn’t matter,” she spoke “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,”

I stood up as she started to walk away. “Tomorrow?”

She stopped at the door before turning around to face me. “I guess they didn’t tell you,”

“You think?”

She rolled her eyes once more before crossed her arms over her chest. “Well…you mom and my lawyer decided that I should work off my debt per say. How do they want me to do that…well they want me to…”

She groaned as she turned around to face the door. “Be your new personal assistant,”