I Never Told You What I do for a Living

Fight for Gerard: Part One

"Shit and fuck, Nicole, now what do we do?" Gina screamed as she stabbed the last of their enemies in the chest.
"I don't know! Help me find the right bag!" She cried. Gina threw her weapon aside, wondering where Gerard went. He had apparently been angered by Nicole's comments, and for now, had backed off. That left every male in their party either unconscious or fatally wounded.
They threw weapons and enemies aside, looking for Nicole's bag. It had all of their items in it, including the potions and the phoenix downs. As they ran out of options, Nicole started screaming. "Where the hell could it be?! There is only so much space in this damn room! I know it's here!" She started getting frantic, kicking things out of her way.
"Nicole..." Gina started, knowing how dangerous she was when angry, as she was less and less likely to listen to reason.
"Damnit!" They both stood up and took a look around. You could not miss Nicole's bag; it was pink and green. She sighed and collapsed next to Mikey. "I'm sorry, Mikey, I really am. I don't know what to do."
"We could drag them all outside. Maybe they'll make it far enough that you can heal them."
"Who do we take-"
"Looking for this?"
Nicole looked up slowly, holding her breath. She knew that voice...this was not going to be good.
"Give that to us!" Gina barked pushing herself up to one knee and reaching for the pink bag that Gerard was dangling above his brother's unconscious body.
Gerard pulled a gun from behind his back and pointed it at Gina, making her stop dead. "I do not think you should do that. Back up. Now." He looked at her with a look that said only too clearly that he was serious.
She stood slowly with her hands in the air, and backed away from the three of them. She did not stop until she fell over Frank's lifeless form.
"I really think you should give that to me, Gerard, or you're brother will die."
"I am not going to tell you again, that I have disowned this-"
"Gerard, please, he's going to die," Nicole begged. When Gina hit the floor, he pointed the gun at Nicole.
"Get out of my way, and let me finish my business. "
"Gerard please-"
"I said MOVE!!" he barked, pulling the hammer back.
Nicole stumbled back, tears streaming down her face. Gerard moved the weapon down to point at Mikey, whose breath was very shallow. As if in slow motion, he started to pull the trigger. Nicole started to breathe very rapidly, and as if seeing everything that had happened between them in fast-forward, she screamed; "GERARD, PLEASE, I CAN'T BREAK MY PROMISE!!" She started bawling, unable to control herself any longer. Mikey was going to die, and Nicole couldn't even save Gerard.
He stopped. "What promise?" Finally his curiosity was besting him.
"I promised Mikey I would save you if he died."
Silence greeted her words. You could hear everything that was going on outside.
"Why would he care if he saved me?"
"I told you what they filled your head with was lies. We have come a hell of a long way for people who betrayed you, Gerard. I have almost died three times. A vampire has seduced me, twice. Gina has broken her leg, had seventeen stitches and lost part of her memory. Bob fell God knows how many feet off of a bridge, Ray was almost made a fucking zombie, and Frank watched Mikey kill me. Gina and I have lost our home and God knows what else. You have got to realize that these people are lying to you Gerard."
He continued to stare at her as he still pointed the gun in Mikey's general direction. "But..." he still looked doubtful.
"These guys are going to die because they tried to save you too. After all we've been through, won't you at least let me save them?"
For a moment he hesitated; "don't touch him," he said as he dropped the bag and used the gun to wave at Mikey.
"But-"
He shook his head only once, but Nicole gave up and snatched the bag off the floor. She gestured to Gina, who joined her as she ripped the bag open. "Here, start with potions, if they don't respond, we'll try the PD's."
Gina nodded and they each took two bottles of the strongest potions they owned. The worked quickly, forcing the boy’s mouths open and helping them swallow the liquid by massaging their necks. After they finished, they watched them nervously, Gina of counting the seconds while Nicole anxiously watched Gerard. He turned to her as Bob was opening his eyes.
“Get over here,” he ordered.
She quickly obliged, scrambling across the floor and dripping blood from several unattended wounds. “Tell me truth,” he said, as she stopped beside him.
“About what?” she asked, slightly confused.
“I want to know your story. Why did you come here, what really happened,” he said.
“I’ll make you a deal,” she spit out quickly, hoping she’d get to the end of her sentence, “if you let me heal him, let me bring him back to a stable condition, I’ll tell you whatever you want, and if it’s still not satisfactory, we’ll go from there.”
Before she had even finished, Gerard had the gun under her chin. After a second, he lowered it. “Fine, do your thing, I’ll be waiting.” He stood up and walked away a little, and she raced to the bag and back with the last of the strong potions. She forced it down his throat and nervously tapped the floor with her fingers while she waited to see if it would have any effect. After a minute she reached to check for a pulse and noticed that Ray was sitting up. She sighed. Bob was attempting to talk but she couldn’t see Frank.
“Gina?” she called, “What’s the status on our group here?” She asked to keep herself occupied.
“All managing with the potions given, even Bob. You?”
“No…idea…” she replied softly as she reached for a PD. She was about to open it when a door on one of the walls opened and The Killer of Hope walked in. “Fucking shit on a shingle. Can’t we catch one fucking break?” Nicole groaned as She walked in.
“Gerard, what are you doing? I thought you came here to end this for me?” she asked.
“I’ve changed my mind. You want them dead, do it your damn self. Can’t see why you haven’t already unless they’re too much for you?” he snapped.