Lust, Vampires, and Deceit

: : Chapter 2 Ditching school : :

It was Friday, thank God. I would be spending the weekend with my best friend, Callie. She had strait, amber-colored hair that came just below her shoulders. She and I were completely opposite, but I guess that’s how we get along so well. While I lived in a ghetto apartment, Callie lived in a ritzy neighborhood where you had to have your lawn a certain color, or you’d be kicked out. If you saw her house and met her parents, your first conclusion would be that she would be the kind of girl who wouldn’t give you the time of day if you weren’t a member of the country club. But in reality, she could care less about the money and country club membership. She was also a total badass, which I envied. The worst thing I’ve done was ditch school.
But before the weekend starts, I have to make it through school and my just-woken-up step-father. I could hear him curse and sputter as his hangover took effect. I slung my backpack on my shoulder and cautiously opened my door. Steve stood by the couch; his hand clutched his head.
“Damn,” he groaned, slowly walking to the bathroom. His boxers were the only thing he had on, revealing his pudgy stomach. His heavy steps sounded as though he were trying to wake the apartment below us. As soon as the bathroom door closed, I rushed out and into the kitchen to grab a granola bar. I hoped to get out before he saw me, but I hadn’t yet reached the pantry when I heard his thuds.
“God, you’re such a slut. I don’t know why your mom lets you go out like that,” He mumbled, scratching his crotch.
I was wearing a purple tank, a black jacket, and some skinnies. I had no idea how he thought it was slutty, so I just ignored him and retrieved a granola bar before shutting the pantry.
He grabbed my arm; his grip felt like a vise. I immediately tensed, and realized he was much stronger than me, meaning I couldn’t pull away.
“Well,” He shouted in my face. “Do you have anything to say, you worthless piece of shit?!”
I flinched, but kept my mouth shut. I’ve learned that lesson a while ago. Say nothing, don’t get slapped. I stood there in silence, staring into his cold, menacing brown eyes. Suddenly he roughly threw my arm aside and stomped away, muttering things about how worthless I was.
I was used to being treated like this. I eventually learned to ignore these kinds of things. I finally had an opportunity to escape without another confrontation. I slipped out the door and into the mildew-smelling hallway. I walked down the steps as fast as I dared and finally made it outside to the fresh air. I took a deep breath and started walking the direction of school. Before I walked about two blocks, I heard someone’s steps behind me. I didn’t turn around because I already knew it was Callie.
“Hey, babe,” she called, catching up to me.
“Hey,” I replied, taking in her outfit. She wore a black, shirt that plunged rather low, and some shorts that were so short it shouldn’t even be legal. “Uh…loving the get-up, hun, but I don’t think you’ll be allowed to even enter the school.” That was when I noticed she didn’t even have her backpack.
She gave me a devious smile. “We’re skipping, my innocently confused friend, and going clubbing!”
I looked at her doubtfully. “Where’s your car?” I asked.
“At home. We’re going there after we go to your house so you can change.”
I gave her the “the look”.
“Oh, Steve, got it, well you can come to my house. We wear the same size, and I just bought another sinfully short pair of shorts, so you can where those and one of my other tops!” She still had that mischievous smirk playing on her lips.
I rolled my eyes, smiling. “Okay, but I get to choose the top!”

We made it to her house in record time and were already in her closet. She pulled out the shorts she was talking about. They were even shorter than the ones she was wearing, if that were even possible. I slipped them on and looked at myself in the floor-to-ceiling mirror. If Steve called me slutty at this moment, he would be absolutely correct. I was bound to draw attention. The shortness of the shorts gave the illusion that my legs were longer than they really were. Callie refused to let me choose my own top, she picked out the same top she had on. She is the only person I know who would have two of the same shirt.
“Well, I think we’ve established a new form of slutty-ness,” I stated as I evaluated our reflections in the mirror.
Callie slung an arm over my shoulder. “Shut up, Evie, we look hot!” She exclaimed. “Now, we have to leave before Dad and his mistress shows up.”
I looked at her. "Mistress?"
“What? He’s a man-whore, but he’s still my dad.”
I cracked a smile. “Yeah, whatever.”
“So, are you ready to partay?!” She asked.
“Well, since we look like total sexy beasts, I’m definitely ready!” We both laughed and ran down the stairs and out to her garage. Her purple Porsche sat in the middle of the gargantuan garage. It even looked lighting fast when it stood still. I went over to the passenger side and hopped in. She quickly started the car, turning the radio on full-blast.