This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-16

"How long do you think it will take for them to notice we're gone?" You asked once you were outside.

"We'll probably be able to sneak back in without them noticing," Dan commented, "So what's been up with you?"

You shrugged, "Nothing much," you said, "You?"

"Same here," he said, "Just been visiting my family a lot,"

"Really?"

"Yeah," he said, "My mum is always telling me to come over and visit. And when I first moved out it was always 'call me tice a day, everday, Danny'"

"It must be nice,"

"No kidding," Dan laughed

"I was being serious," you told him with a straight face, "At least you have someone who does that."

He looked down at you, "I'm sorry. I didn't know..."

"That's alright," you said, "It's been over a year now since the accident, but sometimes it really hurts. She was one of the coolest mums I ever knew. She never judged my friends, let me dress the way I wanted. Basically giving me the special independence I needed, which a lot of people couldn't do." you sighed, "That's why it's so hard for me to give up this jacket," you showed Dan, "Mum made it for me before I left for college. She even had my initials sewn onto the collar." You flipped your hair to the side and turned to show Dan the letters sewn in green thread. "I don't know what I'd do if I ever lost it." you said.

"She sounded like a good mum," Dan smiled, "Looking at you, she must have been a really good one."

You felt your cheeks warm up agianst the cold fall air. "So Halloween is in a few days," you said changing the subject, "You have any plans?"

Dan shook his head, "No. Not really into Halloween."

"How can you say that?" you asked in surprise, "It's just like acting, only you can be anybody you want to be. I love the holiday."

"I can see that."he laughed "So how has school been?" Dan asked as you walked further into the back yard.

"Good," you nodded, "Really good. Easy actually."

"School is actually easy for you?"

You shrugged, "It's always been easy for me."

"Do you get like straight A's or something?" he asked you

You nodded, "Yeah."

"Damn, you're a nerd."

"I am not," you said back

"Are to." he argued

"Am not," you gave in a shove

"Don't push me." he smiled jamming you with his elbow.

"Don't elbow me," you shouted giving him a harder shove.

"You want a piece of me?" he challenged you, and with that he took off charging after you. You ran and laughed and soon the two of you were running all around the yard like two little kids. At one point the gang all stopped what they were doing and just watch you both have the most fun you ever had. Finally your heart felt like it was about to explode and you stopped right before Dan tackled you to the ground. You were now laying on the grass with Dan on top of you and you were both in giggle fits.

"Dan," you laughed, "Don't tickle me."

"Why not?" he said as he stopped, "I like your laugh."

You looked into he deep blue eyes, "You do?"

He nodded, "You know," Dan said as you propped yourself up, "I never use to have this much fun before I met you."

You smiled weakly, "Really,"

"Yeah," he said, "but then again," His face was getting closer to yours, "just thinking about you makes me smile."

"That's nice to hear," you replied nervously. He was getting extremely close. Soon he was closing his eyes and you soon felt yours close too. You inched towards his face and felt his breath on your face, and Jim's warning rushed into your mind

Get to close to that Radcliffe man, and I'm make sure that's the last time he'll get close to anyone

You snapped your face away quickly. You could sense the disappointment on Dan, "I'm sorry," you whispered

He got up, "That's alright," he said sadly, "I shouldn't have done that,"

You stood up as he turned his back, "No Dan. It's not like that."

"Then what is it?" he asked in despair

"I can't say," you told him. You could feel tears coming in your eyes. "I'm so sorry." and with that you rushed past him. Dan just stood there confused and hurt as you ran off.

"Deana," Teresa came rushing up to you.

"I don't feel like talking, Teresa," You snapped

"Deana, what happened?" she asked,

"You wouldn't understand," you yelled as more tears ran down your cheek.

"Deana, what did he do?"

"He didn't do anything, alright." you turned to her. "Now just leave me alone, God Damn it!" and with that you got in your car and drove off, leaving Teresa just as confused and hurt as Dan.

***

You raced up the stares in just as much tears as before. You reached your apartment door and just wanted to kick down. You had felt absolutely horrible about what had happened. You wished so dearly that you could have told Dan why you couldn't get so close. You wanted to. You really did, but it wasn't worth ending his life for it. You finally got out your key and unlocked your door. You swung it wide open and walked in. You slammed your keys down on the ground and wiped off your face. You suddenly heard the door slam shut. All the windows were closed and there was no breeze.

"Hello again, Deana."

You quickly turned and saw Jim standing in front of the door. "How did you get in here?"

He took out a knife that already had blood all over it, "Landlords," he snickered. "I never liked them. When it came to apartment issues, they always seemed to stall. Makes me want to slice their throat, again, and again."

You shuttered, "You bastard,"

"I know," he said grabbing a vase off the table, "but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." Then suddenly he threw the vase right at you. You blocked your face with your hands, and the vase shattered, leaving blood all over your hands. Jim took his dagger and hurled it at your head, but you ducked and ran under his arm. While you ran to the kitchen, he picked up the coffee table and hurled it right at you. You ducked, but you were still hit by one of the legs. You fell to the ground but scrambled to get up. He walked around the side of the counter, throwing everything he could at you. Jim finally lunged at you, and you dodged it barely. He fell to the ground and you kicked him right in the crouch. While he was still down, you ran over to the wall and using you own blood wrote in big letters 'HELP'. You felt yourself fall, so you pressed your other hand onto the wall to keep you up and continued writing. Underneath you wrote the D for your name, but before you could start the next letter you felt an excruciating pain on your head as everything went black