This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-37

"Deana?"

You turned over in your sleeping position.

"De?"

You shook your head and looked up. Oliver was hovering over you trying to wake up. After the blood transfusion, you had come back to Teresas room that same night, where you found Oliver. You both decided to stay there for the night. You fell asleep at around three in the morning, and it was now seven.

"Oliver?" you yawned, "What time is it?"

"Time for breakfast," he said, extending his hand out to you. You stretched out your arms and grabbed his hand and pulled yourself up out of the chair which you slept in. You looked next to you and saw that Teresa was still sleeping.

"We should go eat," Oliver suggested,

You nodded. You and Oliver made your way to the door, but you stopped, took one more look at your peacefully slumbering friend, and then followed Oliver to the food court. You ordered food, and talked with Oliver while you ate, trying not to worry about the whole incident. You gobbled down your own food because you were so anxious to go see if Teresa had woken up yet, but had to wait for Oliver to finish his. He finally was done and you grabbed his hand and made a dash back up the stairs and onward to your best friends room. You came back to her room, and found three doctors around her bed, including the one you talked to the night before.

"What's going on?" you asked

The doctor came back to you, "Can we talk in the hallway?"

You nodded and turned for the hallway. "What the hell is wrong with her?" you asked

"Your friend has gone under a coma."

"A coma?" you repeated, "How did that happen?"

"Well," he began, "Some of the doctors think that it may have been the body's reaction to the blood. It isn't very healthy to lose so much blood and then gain it all at once again, but in her case we made an acception. Some are even saying she fell in perhaps if she hit her head in the closet you found her in."

"Is she going to be alright?" Oliver asked,

"For now, no one can find anything wrong with her, but we will still keep a close eye on her,"

You sighed, "What can we do until then?"

"The best you can do is keep her company," he advised, "Sometimes when someone is in a coma, they can still hear and sense what is going on around them. You can come by and anytime you want to talk, or read to her, and treat her as if she were awake,"

Oliver nodded, "Can do,"

"But for now, we want to do a few test to make sure nothing is seriously wrong with her," the doctor said, "so you two should just go home for now and get some sleep,"

"Deana," Oliver said sternly. He could already tell you were going to start an arguement.

You took a deep breath, "What time can we come back?"

"I would say about five."

"Expect us here early," you told him before Oliver grabbed you and led you out.

...

"Are you alright?" Oliver asked sometime later as you were dropping him off.

You sighed, "Yeah, just really stressed out. It's been a long night."

"Yeah," Oliver agreed, "You worried about her?"

"Hmmm?"

"Teresa. You worried about her,"

"Yeah," you admitted shamefully, "but I really shouldn't. She's a strong woman, doesn't give up without a fight."

Oliver laughed, "Yeah,"

"I guess I just feel like I could have prevented all this if I had just stayed home, you know?" your lip quivered, "She probably really needed to talk to me and I wasn't there. I was gone for over an hour,"

"De," he put a hand on you shoulder, "You didn't know this was going to happen-"

"But in a way I did," you argued, "The whole car trip to your house my mind was yelling at me 'Go back! Teresa needs you!' and I just ignored my instincts and kept going,"

"Deana," he said in before you could say anything else, "What happened to her was not your fault. The doctor said she was going to be fine, so don't worry about it,"

You smiled, "I know there's nothing to worry about, but you just can't help it, you know?"

Oliver nodded in agreement.

A little while later you asked, "How bad was I last night?"

"What do you mean bad?"

"When I snapped off at the docotr," you elaborated, "How bad was I exactly?"

"You want the truth?"

you nodded,

"Pretty bad," he chuckled

"Seriously?"

"Yeah," he answered, "I don't think anyone has ever seen you like that. You're just usually so crazy and cheerful,"

"Yeah," you nodded, "I tend to surprise people like that,"

"But I think Dan took it offensively when you told him to back off,"

You turned your head, "Was I that bad?"

Oliver nodded

"Awwe, damn," you slammed your head against the wheel, "Now I feel really bad,"

"I wouldn't worry," Oliver assured, "If you just talk to him and apologize, I'm sure everything will be fine,"

You pulled up into his driveway, "I'll see you later,"

"Thanks for the ride, De," he smiled before getting out of the car. You waited until he was inside the house and you drove out. You definetly needed to get to Dan's house, for a rush of guilt was swarming over you. 'I've never spoken to him like that,' you scolded in your head, 'Of course he'll be hurt,' You could barely wait as you pulled into his driveway, and no sooner did you turn off the car did you swing open the door and rush out. You ran up to his front door. You haulted, took a few deep breaths to calm yourself and not seem anxious, and rang the doorbell.

"Hey, De," Dan greeted somewhat sadly. It stung that he didn'tuse your full name like he always did.

"Hey, Dan," you smiled awkwardly,

There was a pause before Dan invited you in. You felt the warmth of his heated house and simmered in the comfort. He took your jacket and you looked around as he went to hang it up. Never before had you been in his house until now, and it was very warm and homey.

Dan walked up in front of you, "Did you just get back from the hospital?"

"Yeah," you answered,

"How is she?"

You dropped your head sadly, "She's in a coma right now,"

Dan's eyes widened with disbelief, "She's what?"

"In a coma," you repeated, "They don't know what's wrong with her, but she won't wake up."

"Did they give her the blood?"

You nodded,

"De, I'm so sor-"

"Dan?" you quivered, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so mean to you last night I was just really worried and afraid..." you sighed and ran a hand through your hair, "I just don't know what to do,"

"Listen, I know you're going through a lot.."

"But it was no excuse," you cut him off, "I didn't even think of how harsh I must of been on you until Oliver mentioned it-"

"Wait a minute." Dan stopped you, "Oliver told you this?"

you nodded shamefully,

He gave out a small laugh, "Deana, you don't have to worry about that. Yes I was hurt, but once I got home and thought about it, you were just sticking up for your best friend,"

You smiled, "What can I say? I love her like a sister."

"Teresa warned me about that,"

"What?"

He smiled, "When we first started going out, Teresa told me that to you nothing came before your sisters, not even your boyfriend,"

"She told you that?"

Dan nodded

You looked up onto his face, "But still, I really am sorry, Dan. You were just trying to calm me down and I nearly bit your head off,"

"Naw, you wouldn't have bit my head off. A hand maybe, but..."

You laughed, "Thanks for still being there for me," You stepped up to him and wrapped your arms around his neck in a tight hug. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate it,"

You felt his arms wrap around your waist. "I'll always be here for you," he whispered,