This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-55

You came home very late that night. You slept in until about noon the next morning. It was a Sunday, so you didn't freak out. You layed on your bed for awhile, staring at the ceiling, thinking about what had happened. When you got to the part with Dan, you groaned and rolled off the bed. You gave out a big yawn as you walked out of your room into the kitchen. As you poured out your cereal, the phone rang. You picked up the phone and looked at the caller ID. It was Dan.

"Shit," you muttered as you pressed the talk button, "Hello?"

"Deana," Dan nearly shouted through the phone, "Where have you been? I've been calling you all morning,"

"I've been sleeping," you said, "I was out all night,"

"Listen, I need to talk to you about last night,"

"There's something I should say first,"

"I'm really sorry about just blurting it out like that," he apologized desperetly, "I don't know what I was thinking,"

"I need to say something,"

"Please let me explain-"

"No, Dan," you cut him off, "Look, I know last night was very awkward,"

"And I am very sorry about that," Dan repeated his apology

"I know you are," you said, "but I think that right now we just need a little space,"

There was silence for a moment, "Deana," Dan finally spoke, "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying that..." you searched for the right words.

"Saying what?" Dan said nervously,

"I need some time to think," you shuddered, "Please understand,"

"Are you breaking up with me?"

"I never said that," you said before he finished his sentence, "I just need a little time alone. Can you do that for me?"

"Yeah, sure," his voice shook. Was he crying?

"Well," you said awkwardly, "I have to go. Bye,"

you hung up without a reply

...

"What do you mean she broke up with you?" Teresa shouted

"She just called me this morning and said she needed a little space," Dan said nearly in tears, "What did I do wrong?"

"I don't know." Teresa answered, "You tell me. What did you do to her when we all left,"

"I kissed her goodbye and..." he stopped for a moment, "and I told her I loved her,"

"Oh my god. You did? Wow, That is so-" She stopped, "Oh, Dan,"

"What?"

"You really should have talked to me first before you went and said that,"

Dan looked at her with fear, "Why?"

Teressa sat down, "It's a long story,"

"I have time,"

Teresa sighed, "Okay. Let's just say Deana is very...what's the word I'm looking for...sensitive about those words. It's not that she's had much of a problem with love. In fact she was one of the more prettier girls in school."

"That I can believe," Dan smiled,

"Anyway," Teresa continued, "It didn't take guys long to fall in love with her, or to claim they were," she rolled her eyes, "but she was always very sensitive about the whole love thing. But I guess she never had a good start with her first relationship. I mean this guy was sweet and all, but within the month of dating he was refering her as his future wife and talking about marriage and their entire future together and-"

she stopped to realize she was rambling, "Sorry. Anyway, back to Deana. Like I said, she was a pretty easy person to fall in love with, apparently. Some of the guys were smart and took it slow, but I guess for Deana, it was never slow enough."

"How many told her?"

"Are you kidding? All of them did," She told Dan, "Though it really depended on which guy you're talking about. Some wanted to take it slow, like Deana. Others weren't afraid to let it out and tell it like it was. Whoever it was made no difference to her. No matter how long they were dating it always seemed to soon for her, and when they said they were in love with her..." Teresa stopped right there,

"What?" he asked anxiously, "What happened?"

She gave him a forlorn look, "She would barely have any contact with them."

Dan's head dropped back, "Aww shit," he cursed, "I really screwed up,"

"Don't worry about it too much," Teresa assured,

"Yeah, you tell me Deana has dumped every guy who told her he's loved her and you tell me not to worry?"

"Calm down, Dan," Teresa said

"I can't,"

Teresa sat herself down in front of him, "Look, I know her better than anyone here. One thing I can tell about her is when she really likes a guy." She brought Dans gaze to her, "And looking at her when she's with you, she has never been so crazy for anybody in her life," She smiled, "Honestly, I do believe she loves you. She just doesn't realize it,"

"You've probably told that to every guy she's dated," He chuckled,

Teresa shook her head, "Never,"