This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-6

You slid open the door and felt the coolness of the air conditioning sweep itself across your face. You closed the door and head for the bathroom, when you noticed someone standing in the living room. You realized it was Dan. You hadn't even noticed he had left the back yard. You quietly stepped in to find out what he was doing.

"Dan?"

He turned, "Hey, didn't hear the door open,"

"Are you okay?" you asked.

"Yeah," he replied, "It was just getting a little too hot for me."

"Listen, about the whole nude thing," you began, "I din't know you were so sensitive about that..."

"It's nothing," he shook his head.

"It didn't seem like nothing out there," you said,

"No, really." he protested, "I just find it a little uncomfortable when people I barely know talk about my..."

"Private area?" you finished for him.

He nodded, "Yeah."

"Well, I didn't mean it in a offensive way," you proceeded, "It just seemed like you're friends were trying to be matchmaker out there-"

"You're right," he agreed, "They tend to do that a lot,"

You smiled, "And I was trying to change the subject up. Look what I'm trying to do is give a formal apology." You looked into his blue eyes, "You forgive me?"

Dan smiled, "Apology accepted,"

You let out a deep breath, "Thank god. I didn't want us getting started on the wrong foot. How about we start over." You extended out your hand, "I'm Deana."

He grabbed your hand, "Daniel. Please to make your aquaintence,"

You laughed, "Very nice to meet you."

Dan gave you a funny look, "Weren't your eyes brown over in the back yard?"

"Were they?" you asked, "They tend to change color every now and then. Why, what color are they now?"

He came closer to your face and lookd harder, "Green," took another glance, "With a sort of yellowish star like thing going atound your pupil," Then he look at you with a suspicous glare, "Did you put on contacts?"

You shook your head, "Nope, I swear."

He smiled, "Well, they look very nice,"

You looked up with a sweet smile, "Thanks," you said, "Well, we should get back outside,"

"Yeah,," he agreed, "They're probably wondering where we are by now,"

You and Dan exited the house together. As you approached the group, you saw that they had moved onto their own conversations without you.

"Look who finally dicided to come on out," Tom called from his sitting spot in the grass.

"Yeah, what were you two doing in there?" Rupert asked.

"Nothing," You shrugged,

"Whatever you say," he rolled his eyes,

"Hey, I've got an idea," Teresa stood up, "Who has a deck of cards?"

"I do!" Tom, Oliver, and James all shouted in unison.

"Okay..." Teresa said slowly, "Who wants to play Kempt?"

"What's that?" Katie asked. We looked around and saw eveyone had the same confused expresion she did,

"Looks like we have some students to teach," You said to Teresa, "Okay everybody," You boomed, "How many of you want to play?"

"I do." Emma called.

"Me too,"

"I'll try,"

"Okay, hold up." you cut in, "Those who want to play raise your hands," James, Oliver, Emma, Katie, and Rupert all raised their hands, "Lets see," you began counting, "One, two, three, four, five. And Me and Teresa makes seven. We need one more player."

"I don't like card games," Tom said before anyone could ask. You turned to Dan, "Please," you pouted.

He laughed, "Alright,"

You smiled, "Okay, so now we have eight. Now we all need to pair up into partners."

"I call Teresa!" James shouted.

"No, I want Teresa to be my partner!" Oliver protested.

"Neither of you are gonna get your filthy paws on her," you snapped, wrapping your arms aroun her shoulder, "This bitch belongs to me."

"Aww," the groaned together.

"Now," you continued, "I want you to get with your partner and make up a secret sign with them. Now the rule is you can't make a verbal sign, like talking. So go and make one up while we shuffle."

Everyone split into their partners and began discussing their signs. You sat on the grass with Teresa and began shuffling the deck. You looked up at her and said, "Same sign?"

"She smiled, "Same sign,"

You shuffled the deck a little more and began deeling out four cards per person. Everyone had come with their sign and sat across form their partner in your little circle.

"Now, it's kind of like spoons where you have to get four of a kind," you explained, "Four cards are placed in the center and when the dealer says go, you take the card you need if any and exchange one of them for your own. When you do, you have to send your partner the sign and the other person has to say 'Kempt' in order to win," You paused, "Also, if you suspect someone else has four of a kind, you say 'Counter' and the game is over. Everyobody understand?"

They all nodded.

"Then let's play!" Teresa cheered.

The one game continued into a whole series of games. For hours, everyone sat in the circle swapping cards and watching around for anything out of the ordinary. By the time everyone decided to stop, you and Teresa had won for the most won games.

"Can you please tell us your sign?" Emma begged for the hundreth time.

Teresa shook her head, "Sorry, but it's a sign only me and Deana share."

"Not even a hint?"

"No," you and Teresa said together.

"Wow," Tom said, looking at his watch, "It's that late."

"What time is it?"

"Ten-o-clock,"

"Wow," you turned to Teresa, "We really need to get home,"

"We'll drive you," James and Oliver said in unison.

"No, we'll take them home." Katie retorted, "We promised them they wouldn't be driven to a ditch in downtown London to get raped."

"Though I wouldn't mind, really," Teresa whispered to you.

"And who said we would do that?" James stated innocently.

"I know those smirks," Emma pointed out, "We all do. We're taking them home,"

"Well, bye guys," Teresa said.

Oliver approached her and gave her a hug, "Bye Tree." When he let go, you saw him slip Teresa a piece of paper, "Give me a call." he whispered and left Teresa bewildered.

"It was nice meeting you," Tom said with his hand extended.

You shook his hand, "Nice to meet you too." You looked past Tom's shoulder and saw Dan looking over at you. You walked over to him.

"Are we still cool?" you asked.

He smiled and nodded, "Yeah, we're cool."

You held up your hand and shaped your fingers into half a heart, "Complete my heart?" you asked in a kiddish voice.

He laughed and held up his fingers to match yours and pressed his thumb and forefinger against your own.

"See ya later," you smiled. You met up with Teresa and said goodbye to everyone else before getting to Emmas car.