This Heart Still Feels

This Heart Still Feels-79

Dan paced the floor of his living room, nervously awaiting your arrival. You were supposed to be back any minute now, with your decision on who you would chose. He had spent the past couple of days crying and worrying about this moment. He knew your feelings for Derrek were strong. It would be a tough battle, and deep down, Dan was afraid in the end you would chose Derrek. Though Dan also knew Derrek would just break your heart like before, but his love for you was stronger than his own jealousy. If you wanted Derrek, he wouldn't stop you from having him.

The door suddenly opened and you walked in. Dan snapped around like a light, and there you were. You saw his worried face and soon you were mirroring his espression. "Hey," you said softly

"Hey," he responded,

You took off your scarf and hung it up, "It's cold out there,"

"Yeah," Dan agreed

You hung up your coat, "Are you alright?"

"Me?" Dan said, "Yeah, I'm alright,"

You nodded "Well, I guess you know a decision was made this evening,"

Dan's face dropped, if it was possible for it to be any lower, "Yeah, I know,"

You walked over to him, "Look Dan, before I tell you my decision, you need to know this wasn't easy for me to do. I love you, Dan, I really do, but I've realized I also love Derrek," His name seemed to bring pure pain to Dan, "Yes I realize he hurt me badly, but he's proven that he has changed. I believe him. And I love him a lot. Do you understand that?"

He nodded, "Surprisingly I do."

You took a deep breath, "Alright then..."

"Look you don't have to say it," he sighed sadly, "So let me just say I wish you the best of luck with Derrek,"

Your face grew in shock, "What are you talking about?"

"Derrek, you know," Dan said, "The other guy,"

"I know who he is," you told him, "But what do you mean you wish me the best of luck with him?"

"It's obvious," Dan said in an almost angered tone,

"Are you serious?"

"Look, you don't need to say it," Dan snapped, "It hurts enough as it is,"

You looked at him with a sad look, "Dan, I-"

"You don't need to explain," Dan cut you off,

"I think I do,"

Dan sat down, "Don't make this any-"

"I chose you!"

At that moment his head snapped back "You did what?"

You smiled, "I chose you, Dan,"

Dan's face was still in shock, "You did?"

"Of course I did," you almost laughed, taking a seat right next to him "Dan, I love you both, but Derrek had his chance and he blew it. I'm yours now. And with the way things are going nothing is going to change that,"

"Do you honestly think that?" he asked,

You smiled, "More than you can imagine." You wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled his face closer to yours, "I love you, Daniel,"

Dan kissed your lips tenderly, "I love you, too," he whispered

You smiled, "I can't believe you thought I chose that jerk over you,"

Dan chuckled, "I couldn't help but think the worst," he sighed, "But it's a good thing you did choose me,"

You tilted your head with a grin, "Why is that?"

Dan reached into his back pocket and took out the little black box, "Because it would have been a shame to have this," he held it up, "go to waste,"

Your eyes widened. You wanted to say something, anything, but you knew as well as Dan did what was inside that box

He smiled devilishly, "Yes I did," he said proudly as he got down on one knee and took your hand, "Now that I'm certain you're mine, I want to know you're mine for good," Dan opened the little box revealing a beautiful star-shaped diamond ring, "Deana, will you marry me?"

Your breathing had become heavy at this point as you gazed at the ring Dan was holding. You had always dream of this day, but never had you imagined it to be so timidating, yet as soon as you were breathing right again, you knelt over and threw your arms around him, screaming, "Yes, Dan! Of course I will,"

Dan laughed with joy as he stood up and spun you around. Once you were put down he took the rring out of th ebox and placed it on your finger. Holding your hand in his, he looked at you lovingly and kissed you.

Time stood still, at least for you.