Status: Alive at last.

The Guardian

Octobers and Sunsets

October’s here. For some reason September went by really slowly. It went by very, very slowly.

But here cometh September (I can’t believe I just wrote “cometh”. F.). The month of the rosary, as we “devout” Christians call it. I was walking to school then I saw Lea walking with someone.

I looked and it was Sean. This Sean guy whose last name I never really remembered. Lea met her two weeks ago.

I was happy she made a new friend. As for me, I never made any new friends. I wasn’t lonely, I wasn’t a loner and all, but it’s just that it was hard to make a new friend. Lea was virtually all that I had. And for some unknown reason that felt right.

I killed it. I really killed it. All my family ties, all my social ties. Dead. Because of Lea. Well, forget the family ties. I forgot that I had no family anymore.

I called her from afar.

“LEA! HEY!”

I saw her whisper to Sean. That struck me.

“Oh, hey there, Drew! What’s up?”

“Nothing, just missed you.”

I can’t believe I just said that. I can’t believe I just said I missed her. I can’t even believe I just missed her. Killed it again.

I looked at her and I saw her blush. This time I’m sure. No eye tricks. She really blushed.

“Really?” She smiled. I smiled back.

“I’ll be going, now. Might get late. See you two in class!” Then I ran away. Against my feet’s will, as expected. It was still 6:30. Our time was 7. What a lame excuse. But I had to find something to say. I was speechless. I had to get away, I was scared of her reaction.

I was scared of myself.

What a day that was. Gloomy, because Lea wasn’t around the whole day. She’s with that Sean guy.

Weird to say, but there was no jerking of anything today. No flying cups, no running tables, no falling trays, nothing. Just a simple, regular day.

Weird.

I went to the C.R. during dismissal.

I looked at the mirror, then I saw a reflection. A girl, misty-eyed. Not Lea again. C’mon, Andrew, move on already.

I closed my eyes then BAM, I saw her. With my eyes closed? Yes. Impossible, right? Not now.

I blinked and I saw her at the bathroom door. This time she was real.

“I knew you’re here.”

“Yes, I were here.” Then I laughed. But she didn’t. She was misty-eyed. What the HELL? She was misty-eyed?

It was the same scene. She wore the same black shirt, she held her books the same way. What in the name of…

“What happened, Lea?”

“He left me alone.”

“Then?”

She burst into tears.

I ran outside, and hugged her.

“What’s wrong?”

“I like him.”

BANG goes the insides of my chest. I’m hurt? WTH.

“And he just—“

“Look, maybe he just had something to do.” I was teary-eyed now. WTFH. I’m going to cry? Not in front of a girl. Hell, no.

“What, you’re going to cry too?”

“I won’t if you won’t.”

“I won’t.”

“Then I won’t.” I kissed her forehead. INVOLUNTARILY.

She looked at me, slightly puzzled. Then she hugged me tight.

“Thanks for being a friend.”

“For you, anything.”

“Why?” She asked.

“Because you’re my life.”

She smiled at me, then answered. “Thanks for being my knight-in-shining-armor.”

“Thanks for being my inspiration.” My lines are getting cheesier by the minute.

She looked at me, then she giggled. “Stop with the cheesy lines already.”

“Stop with the hugging-me-so-tight already. I’m feeling the moment when you hug me.”

She slapped me then she laughed while I was in pain. But I laughed too, as usual.

The door behind me slammed.

“What was that?” Her laugh faded, and she was scared.

“I don’t know.”

“Let’s go, Drew, I suddenly hated this place.”

She dragged me by the hand, and I followed. I had no choice.

That dismissal we ran out the back again. I saw Sean waiting for us at the back.

“How is it that you can climb out this back wall?” Sean asked.

“Ask Drew.”

“So Drew, what’s the secret?”

“Ask her.”

“Lea?”

Lea looked at me. She smiled. I smiled.