East 12th Street

Robots.

The next morning I awoke to find that Adrienne was not sleeping beside me – presumably, she was downstairs, making breakfast. I changed into my clothes for the day, and prepared myself for a most likely cold reception from my wife.

“Good morning.” I greeted my kids by the TV where they sat watching cartoons. Adrienne was by the stove, preparing the food while her back remained turned. I casually strolled up to the fridge, pouring myself a glass of orange juice.

“Good morning,” I said to Adrienne, taking the newspaper and sitting down at the table. She remained silent.

“I’m cool with that,” I muttered, rolling my eyes and flicking to the first page of the newspaper.

“What did you expect, Billie?” she said angrily, slamming a plate of freshly made toast in front of me. “A welcomed reception? I put the kids to bed last night by myself while you and had a lovely stroll in the freezing cold.”

“Thanks for making my toast,” I replied honestly. “I hope it’s not poisoned.”

She groaned, her hands automatically flying to her hips while she gave me a most Adrienne-ish glare. “Billie, can you take me seriously, please?”

“Why should I?” I replied, my eyes meeting her hazel ones. “Those kids are unlucky, and I want to do something about it.”

She sighed, taking the seat opposite me. “Billie, please understand. There are billions of unlucky people out there. Don’t think you got it easy in life, because you damn well didn’t.” Her words were just as wrong as they were the night before. I figured it would be easier if I just agreed.

“Don’t get me wrong – I want to help those unfortunate people out there too,” she said honestly. “Just please Billie, don’t blame yourself.”

“I know,” I replied. “But I’m going to do the best I can to give these kids the opportunities I had.”

This seemed to settle the matter, and Adrienne gave a smile before getting up to feed Jakob and Joey. I soon bid them farewell as I headed off to the orphanage. The weather suggested a typical winter’s day – there was a wind that chilled to the bone with a light dusting of snow that crunched under my feet.

The orphanage was quiet on my arrival. Mrs Marcs was in the kitchen, obviously clearing after breakfast.

“Billie!” She greeted me with a motherly kiss on the cheek, while her energetic eyes sparkled. “We weren’t expecting you until much later!”

“Really?” I asked. “I thought I’d come over a bit early. Where are the kids?”

“Oh, they’re all upstairs, doing their own thing.” Her voice softened. “Bless them, they always manage to keep themselves entertained so well.”

I gave a vacant smile. Maybe I could be the one to keep them entertained, much like a father would. “How about I take them to the local park?” I offered.

“That could work, but…” Her face became a little more serious. “How are you going to get them all there? And control them?”

I gave an airy wave of the hand. “It’s okay, really. We’ll have a walk…trust me. Are you sure that’s alright?”

“Of course.” She smiled again. “Would you like me to come?”

“No, no, that won’t be necessary. You deserve a break every once in a while too.”

She gave an appreciative smile. “Do you need me to – “

“Everything will be taken care of – right from whether they’re wearing their coats to making sure that they look before they cross,” I answered wisely.

I climbed the staircase up to the hallway where the kids’ bedrooms were located. Instinctively my feet led me to the end bedroom where Natalie resided – complete with the ‘Keep Out’ stickers pasted to her door.

“Hello?” I softly knocked on the door before letting myself in. Natalie was seated on her bed, artpad against her knee while she drew.

Her grey eyes looked almost outraged that I was in her room. “What do you want?” she asked quietly, her voice remaining in a dull tone. The pencil poised in her hand looked as though it too was tired and due for replacement.

“We’re going on a walk to the park… a little bonding time with Uncle Billie.” I pointed at my chest with a thumb, giving a lame grin. “And I’m sure you’d absolutely love to come.”

“With that tone of sarcasm? How can I possibly refuse?” I could see her eyes roll with annoyance. She shut her art diary and shoved it under her bed, reluctantly picking up her faded jacket from beside her.

I managed to round up the other kids without a hassle. I compared them to my own children. My children would try their smart-arse responses just as Natalie had; but the other orphanage kids had been forced to grow up too quickly. They were too quiet and subdued.

Their silence continued out into the grey streets. They followed me like robots and not like human beings with minds of their own. It annoyed me more than I thought possible.

There were changes to come at East 12th Street.