I Need a Hero

"Goodbye Nick. And thank-you for everything.”

- Nick’s P.O.V. -

“Where are they Nicholas?!” Dr. Stiles shouted at me. They had watched the surveillance tapes and saw that I had helped everyone escape. Now I sat in the “therapy” room, strapped to a chair, as they interrogated me. When they had gotten to the bridge the tracks were lost to the highway. They were relying on me to end up breaking.

“I believe I’ve heard this question. Sadly the answer is still the same, I have no fucking clue! And even if I did, why would I tell a dick like you,” I laughed. Dr. Stiles nodded behind me, allowing Ron to punch me in the face. Again. I spat blood onto the floor and grinned. “That the best you got?”

“Let me talk to him Glen.” The doctor looked behind me and nodded, leaving with Ron. My uncle came around to stand in front of me. His face looked exhausted.

“No wonder he prefers Dr. Stiles. Glen is a gay name,” I muttered. Mr. Knight sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Nick, this is not a time for games. You do realize we will find them, and you will go to jail.”

“No, there’s something you don’t get uncle. You can go ahead and lock me up in jail all you want, I know you hire dirty cops so it’s possible. But know this, if I don’t call them by five they know to go to the nearest big city and tell the whole world what happens here. I gave them just the right files to make anyone believe them. They’ll shut you down and you’ll be joining me in jail. No dirty cop in the nation could get you out when we give them all your employees’ names.”

He was silent after my little speech. He paced around the room, glancing at his wrist watch. No doubt checking to see how long he had to make a decision. I’m going to assume not much time. I saw his lower jaw shift to the left before he returned it to normal. I couldn’t help the smirk that appeared. I had him in my trap now.

“How can we make all of this disappear Nick?” My uncle sighed, looking me dead in the eye.

“First, no missing person reports. Burn their files as if they never were here.” He nodded.

“Count it already done. What else?”

“No having your cop friends all over this nation go after them. As long as you don’t chase them they won’t expose you. If they feel the smallest bit threatened they have instructions to blab to the nearest news station.” Again he nodded. “Lastly I need to them, now.”

“Fine.” He removed my restraints and handed me his cell phone. I had destroyed my own and the SIM card as well. Luckily I remembered Jared’s phone number. I entered it in and waited patiently, pacing so I wouldn’t need to look at my uncle.

“Hello?” the sleep deprived voice answered.

“Jared? It’s Nick.”

That seemed to wake him up. “What happened?”

“I got caught, but he’s agreed to our terms.” Jared knew this line, it was exactly the line I told him that meant ‘destroy your phone asap’.

“Okay, we’re half way to the first stop.” I knew that meant they were on the way to Tonopah, Utah. They were stopping there first to get food supplies then continue to Carson City.

“Good. I’ll contact you later if I can.” I had a doubt I would be able to, though.

“Okay, goodbye Nick. And thank-you for everything.” I hung up, erasing the number from the recent calls. Even though I knew Jared would destroy the phone it would still slow them down a little to trace the name. I handed my uncle’s phone back, staring out the window.

“I just have one question Nick.” I turned to look at my uncle. He stood next to me, also looking outside. “Why are you helping them all? You could lose your whole life over them. Why?”

“Because, unlike how you grew up, I learned to care about people. None of them deserved to be here, no one does. I’m just doing the right thing.” My uncle chuckled darkly.

“Just like your father.”

“Well since he was raised by grandma I can see why. You should have went with her during the divorce,” I remarked.

“Probably,” he said simply. The door opened back to reveal Dr. Stiles and Ron in the doorway. I smiled sadly at the sight of the needle in Dr. Stiles’s hand.

“So I guess you’re going to get rid of any flight risks, am I right?” No one said anything and I chuckled emptily. “I should have figured. This wasn’t much of a life anyways.”

“I’m sorry Nicholas,” My uncle said quietly.

“No you’re not. Is that what you said to dad before you killed him for almost exposing you too? Huh, Alan?” I didn’t wait for an answer as I took the needle from Dr. Stiles’s hand. I smiled sarcastically before sticking the needle into my arm and letting whatever the liquid was spread through my bloodstream. The effects were almost immediate. I fell to my knees, my hands on the ground as I tried to breathe deeply though my mouth.

“Goodbye Nick.” I managed to flip him off, something I always wanted to do, before my final breath left me, my body falling to the floor.

Image

- Brenda’s P.O.V. -

I was awoken by someone shaking my shoulder. I rubbed my eyes before slowly opening them. Johnny was leaning in the door that Jared had last been sitting in. When he noticed my eyes were open he smiled at me. “Morning sleeping beauty.”

“Where are we?” I asked groggily.

“Tonopah, Nevada. We have to get food and stuff. Plus we’re trading around drivers so Val and Jared can sleep for a while.” I nodded.

“What time is it?”

“About seven thirty.” I nodded yet again and climbed out with Johnny’s help. We laced fingers as we walked into the gas station everyone else was in. The clerk was staring at us all wearily, but stayed silent. I smiled at Jared when we caught each others gaze. He smiled back, turning back to the drinks he was debating on. I noticed a girl latched onto Zacky’s side and my eyes narrowed in confusion.

“Who’s that?” I asked. Johnny’s eyes followed mine and ‘oh’ed.

“That’s Zacky’s girlfriend Gena. Val said she had been in this with them. She left a little before we left last night to meet us up here. She’s coming with us to Carson City. I was shocked, she just up and left everything for Zacky.”

“Well that’s what you do when you’re in love.” We met gazes and smiled at each other. I stood on my tippy toes so I could capture his lips in a kiss. Just as he began to deepen it a cough made us separate. Brian grinned down at us causing me to roll my eyes.

“C’mon love birds. We’re heading back to the vehicles now. Gena said you two can ride in the back of her Taurus. Jimmy and Jessica are going to ride in the back of Val’s Bug. Jared, Will, and I are going fit up front of the truck unless Jared decides to sleep in the back.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I chirped. He nodded, walking out of the store with Jared and Will. I saw Will walked over to the Taurus, placing some drinks and snacks in the backseat. He waved to me, letting me know it was mine. I waved back and headed over to the blond and Zacky.

“Oh, there she is. Brenda, this is my girlfriend. Gena, this is Johnny’s girlfriend Brenda,” Zacky introduced.

“Nice to meet you,” I said with a grin. She brought me into a hug which caused me to hug her back.

“Sorry, I’m more of a hugging kind of girl,” she laughed as we detached. I just nodded and followed the couple out the station. Johnny and I climbed into the back, my head resting on his shoulder. As Zacky started the car the sound of Metallica bled out of the speakers. We started off down the highway again; Jared’s truck driven by Brian first, then Val’s Bug driven by Matt, and finally the Taurus.

“So this means we’re almost free, right?” I asked timidly.

“Almost Brenda,” Johnny reassured, kissing my forehead. “Almost.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank-you for commenting: Rhi_LoveMeHateMe, HotelBellaMuerte., Catharine., hachie, Waiting_For_Normal, ExterminatorXDiamond, violetriddle, midlipsters, Hanny Gates, and ShellyVengeance. I know, I know. Everyone is going to hate me because I killed off Nick. Send hate mail...now. Hopefully you still liked it, yeah? Sorry my updates were so spaced out. I don't like taking that long, but finals and all. So comment please? :) <3