I Need a Hero

"No one has left here in this place's history."

It was at least half an hour before I heard any movement outside the door. My bags had been unpacked and the bathroom was “explored". It was filled with just a sink, a standing shower cut off by some flimsy plastic, and a porcelain toilet. Not even a mirror.

“Thanks Nick. Make sure Ron doesn't give you shit," a girl told one of the security guards as he opened the door for her.

“Will do Jess." With that he left, locking the door again. My roommate turned on her heel to look at me. Her eyes began to look me over as I did the same to her. She had long black hair pulled into a ponytail and bright blue eyes. Her ears were gauged and a Monroe was on her upper lip. She was dressed in light blue skinnies, a black wife beater, and black Converse.

“You must be Brenda." As she said this she smiled brightly. I couldn't help but smile back.

“Jessica right?" She nodded, sitting on her bed. She pulled her feet onto the bed and crossed them under herself.

“So why are you crazy?" I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest.

“I'm not crazy!" She smirked and crossed her own arms.

“So you're one of those kind, huh?" She grinned at me to reveal abnormally sharp canine teeth. “Listen hun, I'm not here to judge you, I'm in the same position. But everyone believes they're not crazy. In time most crack under pressure believing there is something wrong. You're feisty so I hope you won't."

“I won't," I announced sternly. She smiled a little wider at that.

“And that's what I like to hear. You'll fit in with us just fine."

“What do you mean by 'us'?"

“Some friends I've made since I've been here," she replied with a wave of her hand. “So back to my earlier question. I can break the ice if you want. The state put my brother and I in here because we were working in a morgue with a fascination of death and corpses. Really I was just a school intern, but that didn‘t stop them from still locking me up."

“That's not that odd," I said, my head tilted to the side in confusion.

“That was my thought too. No one listens to the crazies though," Jessica mocked. “Your turn."

“I have a fascination with blood and fire. My adopted parents put me here because they 'couldn't handle me' anymore," I explained with air quotes.

“That's gay," Jessica stated plainly. I nodded in agreement.

“So what are the stupid rules Mr. Knight was talking about?" Jessica groaned at the thought.

“Here’s the summary. Television room and library are not until you are proven to be trusted alone. There is a cafeteria, which is a very small room, that we eat in for twenty minutes while being monitored by workers. One hour of therapy and one hour in the yard to play sports, talk, or smoke if you're old enough. No one is allowed to walk without a staff member. Lights are out at eleven, make sure you are in bed by then. That's really it," Jessica recited.

“What about school?" I inquired, my eyebrows scrunched up in thought.

“How old are you?" She asked bewildered.

“Sixteen."

“Oh shit," she exclaimed, laughing. “You are the youngest here kiddo."

“Really?!" She 'mhm'ed. “How old are you?"

“I'm nineteen," Jessica stated proudly. I shook my head in disbelief. “When I first got here they told me there's no point. Usually people that end up somewhere like here don't need education."

“But don't we need it when we get out?" Jessica chuckled darkly.

“Doll, no one has left here in this place's history. Our oldest veteran has been here ten years." My eyes grew wide and my jaw fell agape.

“How long have you been here?" I asked quietly.

“Two years, five months, and four days." My eyes almost grew three times their size. “I turned nineteen two days ago, too. Sorry to crush your hope, hun."

“Can't crush what wasn't there," I muttered. It's true. Something in my mind told me the second I walked in this building that I wasn't getting out alive.

“Sorry." I just shrugged. “Well you're lucky in a way. You made it just in time for lunch. You can meet the guys!"

“Oh. Cool." Just then the door unlocked. In walked a different security guard, the Ron guy everyone talks about.

“Lunch time girls," he grumbled. This is a very unhappy man. Jessica hummed to herself as she skipped past him. I hesitated under the stare of Ron. He seemed to be looking me straight to the bone.

“C'mon Brenda!" That snapped me out of my trance. I ran after Jessica who was now halfway down the hall. I almost faced planted as I skidded to a stop next to Jessica. She giggled while saying, “Shit girl. You're the best runner I've seen since Brian."

“I am, I mean, was the top of my track team at school," I explained with an uneasiness in the pit of my stomach. I suddenly wasn't as hungry as I thought.

“Well here we are!" she exclaimed dramatically as she pushed open the double doors. It was about the size of a standard classroom. Two metal, round tables sat toward the general center area. The left wall had a metal garage looking door where nurses huddled and mingled. Jessica led me over to one of the tables that were set for eight, but only held a tall, lanky dude. “Jimbo!"

The guy's head snapped up to show eyes that matched Jessica's perfectly. He stood and ran to Jessica screaming, “Jessie!" He hugged her and spun her in a circle.

“James!" One of the nurses shouted. He sighed exaggeratedly before placing Jessica back to the ground. He just then noticed me. He brushed his choppy, black hair out of his eyes and smiled at me, drawing attention to the labret jutting out of his lip.

“Who's that?" He asked Jessica excitedly, pointing a finger at me. What the hell? He's acting like I'm a new puppy on Christmas.

“Don't point Jimmy." He grumbled a few incoherent words as he lowered his arm. “This is Brenda, my new roommate. She's only sixteen so don't fuck her up."

“Oh fine!" He turned to me and grinned. “Hi! I'm Jimmy, and I'm Jessica's older brother."

“The eyes gave you away," I pointed out with a small smile. Jimmy glared at Jessica playfully.

“You meanie! You just had to get my eyes." Just as Jessica was about to say something two nurses carrying three trays total appeared. We sat down and they placed down the food. It went Jimmy, Jessica, and I facing the double doors. I poked at the pathetic excuse for pasta with my plastic fork.

“It's not as bad as it looks," Jessica informed, popping a forkful into her mouth.

“Bullshit. I'm Italian. That crap just don't cut it Jess." I looked up to see a black haired, green eyed boy with snakebites. He plopped down next to Jimmy with a curious stare at me. “Fresh meat?"

“Please! She has no meat on her bones!" Jimmy exclaimed.

“Like you can talk you twig," Jessica laughed.

“You all are skeletons! You all need meat on your bones," the new guy remarked with a roll of his eyes.

“What are you, cannibals? Trying to decide who you're gunna eat?" I asked sarcastically. All of them began to laugh.

“Nope. If we were we'd be in the padded rooms," green eyes informed.

“There's padded rooms here?" I asked wide eyed. They all nodded. I cautiously popped a noodle in my mouth before slowly chewing. I had to force it down my throat. It tasted like cardboard mixed with plastic. “That is the worst pasta ever."

“My thought exactly," the guy agreed, glaring at the plate he was just given. “Zacky by the way."

I took his offered hand, shaking it. “Brenda."

“Jimmy? Where's Johnny?" Jimmy looked up surprised as if just realizing something, or should I say someone, was missing.

“I don't - oh yeah! He told Nick he wasn't hungry and stayed behind."

“That dick."

“What about me?" I looked up to see a man with short black hair and brown eyes sit next to Zacky, across from me.

“Why is it you always think we're talking about your dick?" Zacky asked with a roll of his eyes. A nurse scowled at him as she gave the newest guy his tray.

“Because why would you not talk about it?" he asked sarcastically. “And who might this be?"

“Brenda," the other four of us spoke in unison. I was shocked while everyone else thought it was absolutely normal.

“Brian," he grinned before taking a bite of the creation they called pasta. “Where's muscle head?"

“Fuck you Brian." I looked up and almost choked on the water we were given with our meals. Matt sat down next to me in a straight jacket. Why the hell do they have those here?! “Oh, hey Brenda."

“You're in a straight jacket," I pointed out with a shocked expression.

“You guys already met?" Jessica asked curiously.

“Yeah. She was just brought in when I was getting handcuffed in the lobby waiting for Knight," Matt explained.

“You're in a straight jacket!" I repeated a little louder.

“Really? Didn't notice," Matt remarked sarcastically.

“Why?!"

“Mattie here got into a fight and they don't want to risk him hurting anyone else," Jimmy explained with a grin. Matt rolled his eyes before glaring at the tray placed in front of him.

“You know, it would be really lovely to eat if I could use my hands!" Matt shouted at the nurses. They ignored him and continued to chat. He huffed, slumping in his chair.

“You need to lay off the food anyways Matt," Jimmy said, taking a bite of his own disgusting food.

“Trying to say something Sullivan?" Matt demanded. I pushed my food away and turned to the temporarily armless man next to me.

“Do you want help?" His hazel eyes almost seemed to sparkle with happiness.

“You'll help me?" When I nodded he grinned. "You, Brenda, are a fucking life saver!"

“Well I wouldn't say that," I replied bashfully as I held up a fork of pasta for him to eat.

“I'm just shocked she hasn't run off from our muscular baboon," Brian pointed out.

“At least he seems nicer then you," I stated childishly. He simply rolled his eyes. I continued to feed Matt his food and, for a treat, mine too as we all talked. They were a pretty nice group. They didn't deserve to be here.

“Brenda Summers!" I turned around to see an unfamiliar woman in a doctor's coat. “Therapy time."

“Good luck!" Everyone called. I waved before following the woman out of the cafeteria. Wait, why did I need luck?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thirty-two subscribers and only three comments. What the hell, bro? More please? c: