Sequel: This War's Not Over.
Status: In Progress.

Fall Into Your Sunlight.

If you're stuck on the whole 'vampires are like vampires in Twilight' thing, you need to break that thought right now. As it stands currently, the rules have changed. In the year 2010, a human got bit by a bat and in one of the biggest cliches known to human kind, he quickly changed. A virus ripped him of the ability to walk in sunlight without spontaneously combusting, and granted him a pair of fangs and a lovely set of golden eyes that reflected light and scared the living piss out of most of humanity. Those who weren't scared, quickly became dinner and caught this lovely disease themselves. Now the entire world has changed and/or gone to hell.

If you're like me, this is hell. And I mean literally. Humans are hunted and farmed for blood. We're the low end of the food chain. Some of us have chosen to fight back. I've seen a few of you turn into flying chunks of flaming flesh because an arrow to the chest made you explode. I've seen even more of you start mutating into really creepy batlike things because you are either eating animals or yourselves. But you never show up on my camera lens.

I'm one of the lucky few who aren't hunted. It's because I was bit, but never turned. Something went wrong, and I stayed this fragile thing. I continued to age; got sick, got better, did human things. I'm glad I'm still breathing. I don't envy you.

I wonder if you miss the sunlight, miss laying out on hot summer days and baking. I wonder if you miss hearing birdsong and watching kids run around during the day, laughing. I wonder if you miss food. Not blood laced food, but actual food. Spaghetti, canoli's, veggies, cookie dough. I wonder if you miss breathing.

I see these things daily. Or at least most of them. Sadly, there are no living kids in New York anymore, so my 23 year old self doesn't get to hear them laugh. I just wonder if Tempe will be any different. The heat will be a welcome change. I take nothing for granted anymore. I know if I do, once I die, whenever that may be, I'll regret it all.

Some day, maybe things will get back to normal. You'll all breathe again, and I'll see you through my lens. Until then, my name is Eve, and I'm the last of my kind.

-excerpt from thelastofmykind.net

As advised, don't read if you're not 17. I really don't want to get in trouble.
  1. Down to a Sunrise.
    Coffee Shop Soundtrack -- All Time Low
  2. And Baby, Don't Follow Their Lead.
    Say Anything (Else) -- Cartel.
  3. Go and Get My Bones.
    Deep South -- Cartel.
  4. Feel Your Heart Begin to Race.
    Shiver -- Maroon 5.
  5. The Sun Is Perched at it's Highest Peak.
    Meet Me On The Equinox - Death Cab for Cutie. [Also, explicit content warning.]
  6. Rain on Friday Night.
    Hotel Roosevelt -- Augustana.
  7. She'll Be a Secret You Can Keep.
    Ocean And Atlantic; Mayday Parade.
  8. Every Inch You See is Bruised.
    Bruised; Jack's Mannequin.
  9. A Little Piece of Me Grows Old, I Keep on Walkin' Down this Road.
    Can't Catch Tomorrow (Good Shoes Won't Save You This Time); Lostprophets.