An Obsession

Ironic

"Wow." Chris's eyes widened as the two of us walked into Bruce's newly built Wayne Manor. "Wayne really knows how to decorate."

I gave a soft chuckle as I pulled him close to my body. "You should have seen it before it was burnt down. Mrs. Wayne had a splendid touch." I told him as we walked down the corridor. Our feet softly padded against the rug on the floor.

"Oh, look at that picture!" Chris suddenly stopped and pointed at one of the pictures on the wall. I turned to see what Chris was referring to, and gasped. "Is that you, Harley? And in pigtails?" Chris burst out laughing.

My face grew hot as I replied in a cracking voice. "I was only eight, Chris."

"Yeah, but they're still pigtails!" He snickered as I glared at him.

"I don't want to hear it, Chris." I told him. I then gave him an evil smile. "At least I was only stuck with the pigtails for one little picture where, and if I'm not mistaken, you became stuck with your braces at the age of eight. And how long did you have those again?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

Chris glared his blue eyes at me and walked on down the hall. I quietly laughed at him before looking back at the photograph. I smiled as I gently touched the picture with my finger.

In the picture there was an eight year old me with two nine year olds on either side of me. On my right was Bruce who had a small grin playing along his lips as he stared at the camera. On my left, was Rachel Dawes. She had also wore her hair in pigtails that day. The only reason we even did it in the first place was because Bruce had told both of us that pigtails made us look cute (though why or how Bruce thought this was beyond me).
`
I closed my eyes for a moment before pulling my hand away from the picture. As I reopened my eyes, I gave it one last smile before running to catch up with Chris. When I finally caught up to him, he turned around and looked down at me. We were now at the end of the hall and two double doors stood in front of us. All we had to do was go through these doors and the party would be right on the other side.

"I can't believe it's already been twenty three years since that picture, Chris." I murmured to him. Chris gently grabbed my hand and began to rub small circles into my palm.

"Something's wrong, isn't there?" Chris asked.

I nodded making the bells around my neck jingle. "Think about it, Chris. Out of the three of us, bad things have happened to both Bruce and Rachel. Bruce lost his parents and Rachel just lost her life at the hands of the Joker a year ago. I have this queasy feeling in my stomach that something is going to happen to me next."

Chris stared down at me as his hand went from my hand to my face. He gently took my chin in his hand and forced it up to look at him. "Harley. I love you and I will make sure that nothing bad will happen to you." He whispered to me as he kissed the top of my head. "Nothing."

I nodded slowly as he pulled away. Chris pecked me once more on the lips before turning to the door. He raised one hand and knocked three times. He took a step back as they opened wide. My eyes widened with excitement, all bad feelings gone, as I looked at the gentlemen that opened the door for us.

"Alfred!" I squealed before hugging the older man that had opened the door for us. When I let go of him, I let my blue eyes roam over his body. I groaned. "Alfred, where's your outfit?"

Alfred Pennyworth smiled at me. "Nice to see you too, Miss Quinzel. And I didn't feel like dressing up tonight. I'm getting much too old for Halloween."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Alfred. Where's Bruce?" I quickly asked looking around to see if I could spot the billionaire anywhere.

"Oh, Master Wayne is here somewhere. He just arrived moments before you did."

I nodded. "Thanks, Alfred." I then turned towards Chris. "Come on, big boy. Let's go and find Brucey." And I grabbed his hand and pulled him into the ballroom. "Let me know when you spot him." I told Chris as we walked.

"Found him." Chris said pulling us to a stop.

"Already?" I asked.

"Yeah. He's out on the balcony. He's the one with the Zorro outfit on. You see him?" Chris pointed towards the balcony where a tall, black figure stood by himself.

I nodded and pecked Chris on the cheek. "Thanks, honey. I'm going to go talk with him, alright?"

"That's fine." Chris said. "I'm going to then look for my cousin, Henry. He said he's somewhere around him. In a pirate costume or something like that."

"Alright, sweetie. I'll catch up with you later." I told him, pecking him once more on the cheek before out to the balcony.

I heard Bruce sigh as I walked up behind him. I smiled as I carefully poked him in the back. Bruce jumped and turned around to face me. A grin slowly formed on his face as he realized who I was. "Harley?" He asked. I nodded which made Bruce wrap his arms around me in a tight hug. "I was wondering when you were going to show." He whispered.

"Sorry. It took forever to get off of work." I said back as he let go of me.

"Who works on Halloween?" He asked me as he studied me.

"This girl here."I laughed and waved my fingers at him. "Anyway, I love your costume. Zorro was always a favorite movie of mine. Though it kinda makes you think of another certain hero that wears all black and is a vigilante." I looked up at Bruce with a small grin forming on my lips.

Bruce gave an uneasy laugh. "I guess you're right. A little bit ironic, isn't it?" He then smiled at me. "Well what about you?"

"Me?" I asked.

"Yeah you. The girl that's dressed up like a clown. That also seems a bit ironic considering all the mayhem that clown's been causing to the city." Bruce chuckled.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Touché, Bruce. You got me there. Though more my reason for wearing this costume was one to amuse my finance and two to go off my nickname Harley Quinn." I giggled. "You wouldn't believe how long it took to find this costume in stores. But then again, I kinda wonder how long it took you to get your costume."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, considering you have a huge body build compared to the normal people of this city." I grinned.

"Are you saying I'm not normal?" He raised an eyebrow at me.

I shrugged. "I don't know. Am I?"

Bruce sighed and just held out his arm. "Come on. Let's get back into that party." He suggested. I nodded my head and took Bruce's arm. Together the two of us walked back inside, arm in arm, towards Chris who looked very bored standing next to his pirate cousin.

Bruce and I must have been quite a sight. Him in all black and me in black with a bright shade of red and white. The dark with the light, The vigilante with the clown.

The good with the bad.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it? Or not? Let me know please!