Remembering Sunday

Girl you're amazing just the way you are

I found them pulling them on and crept back through the lounge when I noticed Lexi fidgeting in her sleep, she only ever did that when she wasn’t happy with something.

I stood in the darkness watching her when I heard her whisper something and I moved closer to the back of the couch.

She rarely spoke in her sleep, in fact I’d only ever known her do it a few times and they were all nightmares.

“Please don’t, I‘ll do anything,” she whispered begging and I moved round to the front kneeling in front of her.

She kicked her leg almost knocking me over.

“No I didn’t mean it,” she said.

I stared at her face smiling, even when she was having a nightmare she was cute as hell.

The first time I saw her I was hooked, she had the most beautiful green eyes.

Some of the guys at school never understood why I liked her, there was apparently ‘hotter girls’ in our school but I didn’t care, in my eyes nothing and nobody ever compared to Lexi Nelson.

Maybe to everyone she wasn’t ‘hot’ but to me she was; she was the prettiest girl ever.

I never thought I stood a chance with her, I was a jackass but I got lucky and she agreed to go out with me. She wasn’t popular at school but I couldn’t have cared less, my own brother wasn’t sure about her the first time they met, but he soon came around.

She was pretty, nice, the most loyal person I knew and beyond belief clever and I never had any doubts that I was in love with her.

At one point my parents were terrified, they thought her hold on me was far too strong.

Looking back I knew they had a point, I was only 16 and I was a teenage boy who was in love and lets say I’d do anything. Anything she asked I’d do, if I thought it’d get her to love me more I’d have done it without a thought.

If she’d walked in and said that the toughest guy in school had upset her I’d have gone straight round his house and attempted to beat him up even though I knew I’d end up being the one with the black eyes.

I wasn’t popular but I wasn’t unpopular, I just fitted somewhere in the middle; she was my first real girlfriend, the first girl I ever kissed, the first girl I ever slept with and the first and only girl I’d ever loved.

Music could bring me fame and money but there was one thing it’d never bring me and that was another one like her and that’s how I knew she was the one.

I could be the most famous, wealthy and adored guy in the world and I’d still come home to her every night because I’d never feel this way towards anyone else, nobody would ever measure up to Lexi Nelson.

That’d caused me massive problems when we broke up, I judged every girl I saw on her.

They weren’t as pretty as Lexi, didn’t have the same eyes as Lexi, her accent wasn’t as nice as Lexi’s.

I knew when I started dating Kate my ex that things wouldn’t work out nearly straight away but Jack forced me into trying.

If I got angry Kate would back down, when I was upset over something she’d smother me and she just never made me as happy as I knew she should. I’d pick up the smallest things and make it into a problem.

When I was angry I liked to argue, it allowed me to get it off my mind and Lexi let me argue, she’d shout at me but we both knew we didn’t mean it, it wasn’t a real argument and that come the end of the night we’d be back to normal.

It sounded awful and I felt a jerk for admitting it but I hated having to try with Kate, she was a lovely girl and sure she was pretty.

She had the brightest blue eyes and blond hair and what seemed like a permanent tan, her legs seemed to go on forever and she was really nice but she never held me attention like Lexi could.

Kate walked into a room and guys would look at her but I’d carry on whatever I was doing but Lexi made my heart stop exactly like she did that night in the club, she threw me off track every time and I loved that feeling.

I had to try to be with Kate, I had to think of how to make her happy or what to say to make her laugh but I never had that issue with Lexi, she was easy for me, I knew exactly what to say and do and to me that’s the way it should be.

“Alex don’t do this, I didn’t mean it. Alex!” she shouted dragging me from my thoughts and I placed my hand on her cheek gently and her eyes flew open and she started to cry.

“Hey, ssh don’t cry, Ally I’m here,” I whispered and she grabbed my hand sitting up.

She wrapped her arms around me burying her face in my neck crying.

“Ally it’s okay,” I reassured her as I felt her body shake as she cried.

“I’m sorry Alex I didn’t mean it,” she begged and I smiled as I pulled her from me.

“What didn’t you mean?” I asked wiping the tears from her face.

“All them things I said in hospital,” she said.

“You meant them alright but it’s okay I needed to hear them,” I reassured her and she shook her head.

“Don’t hate me,” she begged and I laughed.

“I don't hate you, it’s a bad dream that’s all. Come on don’t cry, it’s fine I’m here and I’m not about to walk out on you ever again,” I admitted and she nodded hugging me again.

I hooked my arm under her legs picking her up and carried her into the bedroom.

She looked at me confused as I laid her in the bed and she grabbed my hand as I laid in the small amount of space next to her, she moved over so there was room for me and I saw her smile.

She must’ve gotten very close to Jack and he’d wrapped his arm round her waist pulling her against his body and I kissed her hand.

“Night,” I whispered and she nodded falling asleep almost straight away.

I stayed awake watching her for a while before finally going to sleep myself.