Remembering Sunday

Now she's got a boyfriend and I've got a rock band

It had been 3 days since I saw Alex and I’d started to feel happier, I was sat doing the sketches for Rian’s house when there was a knock at the door.

“Come in!” I shouted and looked up as Alex walked in, curiosity drew my eyes straight to his hand to see his eternity ring was still there and I smiled.

“I’m not interrupting am I?” he asked and I shook my head.

“Only Rian’s house so I guess it’s okay” I replied smiling.

I explained Bailey was out at a client’s house and he sat at her desk talking to me.

Our office was only small with a store cupboard twice the size of the office out the back, the window looked down on the street and not surprisingly the décor changed often, whenever one of us finished a project early we’d change the office round and currently it was light green with monochrome wallpaper on one wall.

“I guess I came to say I’m sorry about upsetting you the other night,” he said and I nodded.

“It’s okay I made myself cry, it was stupid it happened 2 years ago things have changed,” I added and he nodded.

“I wondered what you were doing tonight because we’re going to watch some movies and I wondered if Bailey and you wanted to come round, it’d be good to really hang out without the awkward crying” he joked and I laughed.

“Yeah we can do that” I replied.

“7ish?” he asked and I agreed.

I jumped as the door opened and I saw Greg and I felt my stomach drop.

“Lexi, oh sorry I thought you weren’t busy” Greg apologized.

“Oh it’s fine he’s a friend” I reassured as Greg walked over and kissed my cheek and I saw Alex’s eyes flick between both of us.

“Hi I’m Greg her boyfriend” he said holding his hand out and Alex shook it.

Alex was tall, slim, his hair was longish and dark and he wore skinny jeans, shirts and hoodys where as Greg was shorter than Alex, he had blond hair and nearly always wore a suit.

Even on a casual day he'd wear suit pants and a shirt and tie, there was nothing similar between them.

“Hi I’m Alex an old school friend” he replied smiling.

Greg knew I’d had a serious boyfriend but he never knew his name, he wouldn’t know the guy sat in front of him was the one that broke my heart.

Alex was still the polite boy, keeping a conversation with Greg when I knew inside he didn’t want to, he stood up smiling.

“Well it’s been nice meeting you Greg and Lexi I guess I’ll see you soon” he said waving as he shut the door behind him.

I wanted to stop him to tell him I wanted Greg to go and him to stay but that was wrong and I told myself it was just the confusion of only being friends for a while.