House of the Damned

Confronting a Nightmare

By morning, I had calmed down slightly. It was possible that I hadn’t really seen anything, and I was just worked up from the fire.

But what if it was?

The only way to tell would be to follow the shadow’s instructions and go into “the next room.” I didn’t have much of an idea of what it meant, though. I guessed it meant the room next to mine—if I was right, it was almost definitely the empty room to my right.

I was nervous. Not only because of the figure, but also because there was a big possibility of getting caught. But I felt I had to—otherwise, it might come back into my room, and I would get in trouble with Miss White anyway.

The day dragged by slowly. During breakfast, Miss White kept jerking her head towards me, as if I was a bomb about to go off. Every time I felt her eyes on me, I forced myself to concentrate on my cereal.

Just like yesterday, I and the other teenagers were dropped off at the edge of the city to buy more things. This time we were searching for more long-term items—clothing, more food, more toys, and stationery for school (which had been canceled until we settled in).

We ate lunch at the local fast food place, whose name I didn’t pay attention to, eating soggy burgers and stiff cardboard fries. By evening we were back at the mansion, and the sick feeling of apprehension in my stomach came back.

Reluctantly I went up to bed, shaking slightly but trying my best to make sure no one saw. I would go to that room. I felt that I had to.

I lay staring at the ceiling on my back and with my hands by my sides. My heart pounded like a bass drum just like last night, and I was shaking madly. Once everyone went to bed…

Minutes ticked by. It was now or never, not unless I wanted another visit…

Hugging my arms around myself, I got up out of bed slowly and tiptoed toward the door. My hand closed around the knob, turned it, and I stepped into the hall.

Another wave of fear lurched over me.

Still I moved forward, not feeling my bare feet against the wood, not feeling my palm press against the cracked open door.

Holding my breath, my veins set alight, I peered inside and…

There was a figure there. A man, with his head in his knees, in the corner, barely seen by the trace of moonlight flooding from the window above him.

And a chain, attached to the wall…

I exhaled.

His head snapped up and I jumped back. I couldn’t see the face, but his eyes were a fiery red, like blood diamonds. He glared at me for a moment, then his shape appeared to relax and he beckoned me forward.

Still trembling from head to foot, I obeyed the command.

Carefully I came toward him, not wanting to surprise him again. Gently I kneeled down, on the other side of the moonlight. Both of us waited, tense. I felt like I might faint from nervousness.

“Do you know why I sent you, Karen?”

His voice sounded young, but raspy, like he hadn’t spoken in a long time. I shook my head. Those awful red eyes pierced through my brown ones.

“Do you know who I am?” he asked, more softly this time.

Again, I shook my head no.

“I am—I was—Frank. Frank Iero. Would you like to know how I died?”

Still lost for words, I nodded.

“A long time ago—you must have been what, three?—I was in a band. We were touring to promote an album.”

I finally spoke. “There hasn’t been a music album in years. Only my parents have them now—“

“Really?” he asked. “That's a shame.

“Anyhow, we were touring and stopped here to stay the night. A man who was traveling with us owned the place…he never really went in though. I stayed in this very room, right here.

“I woke up in the middle of the night to see a woman standing over me. I remember the eyes…” he shuddered.

“I felt two icy hands around my throat and she started to squeeze. It was so painful. Her nails were like claws.

“After I…woke up…she told me what had happened. Since I died in here, I'm bound here forever.” He reached up and tugged lightly on his chain.

“No one’s lived here since then, Karen,” he whispered. “I don’t want you all suffering the same fate. She’ll come for you all, one by one. She’ll kill you.”

With a groan, he stood up and drenched himself in moonlight.

I cried out when I saw his neck. Deep punctures were on either side. Caked black blood dried all around the wounds. Arteries and veins dangled like vines from the biggest parts.

For the first time I got a look at his features. Frank couldn’t have been more than twenty-five years old. He was the same height as me. Fading laugh lines were even etched into his cheekbones...

Suddenly, he seized me by the collar and yanked me forward. The fear came back as my vision was filled with those terrifying irises.

“You’ve got to get out of here. Do you understand? You’ve got to!”

“But we can’t,” I squeaked. “Our building is a pile of ashes. We can’t go anywhere until a new one is built.”

“I don’t care,” he snarled, almost angry. “Live on the streets if you have to. I’ll do my damnedest to make sure you do not stay here.”

His figure crumpled again, and stared longingly out the window. He turned away from me, and dropped his hand.

“Go,” Frank sighed.

I did.