Status: short story.

I've missed you

Bus ride

The public bus pulls to a harsh stop and the doors open fiercely. I grab my messenger bag off the seat next to me, just in case someone actually wanted to use it. A couple of teenagers walk onto the bus laughing and showing the driver their tickets and walking to the back of the bus. The doors are about to close, when a girl runs towards them. She's lucky that the bus driver didn't already drive away. I finally get a clear image of her, and i recieve a cloudy feeling in my stomach. She's fragile, you can see it. In the way she walked onto the bus, you can see it. She's beautiful, don't get me wrong but she just looks like one of those people who could be easily hurt. She sticks her hand in the front left pocket of her tight light blue jeans. She pulls out a couple of coins and puts just enough into the silver box near the driver. The bus jerks to a quick start and she nearly falls, yet she manages to grab the pole just in time. I can tell she's embarrased by the way her cheeks turned a light color of red. A strand of golden brown hair falls in front of her face. As she tucks it behind her ear she glances around the bus, possibly looking for a seat. Her eyes fall on me, and the light from the sun shining behind me makes her eyes look soft and sweet, as if on cue. Her lips part slightly, as if to let words fall out yet none do. She hesitates, but then moves slowly and carefully to the seat next to mine. As she sits down, her eyes follow suit and she stares down towards her hands which seem to be playing with the hem of her peach colored tank top. Her hands; being soft, so gently grazing over a loose peice of string from her shirt. I can feel the words in my head attempting to peice together something to say. I know that the conversation is coming, it's long awaited and needed. I know she won't be the one to start the conversation, I know that all too well.

"Elena, I thin-" I shouldn't have been surprised that she chose to cut me off at a time like this.

"Peter.. I've missed you." Is all she has to say. After a moment of silence, her eyes come back to mine, catching me once more.