Vampires can Love Too

Non-Vampire Powers

When I got back to Ren, I tried to keep the look of horror off my face. It was difficult and I didn’t know if I was succeeding in hiding my fear. After we danced some more, with my mind elsewhere, Ren asked if he could spend the night at my place. I felt a little jumpy at that point and nearly blew my cover. I gulped, put on a brave face and said, “I don’t see why not.” I hoped if Ren came over it would take my mind off what I was feeling. Ren grinned and grabbed my hand. We flew away in a sea of bats to my house then. When we got there, the two of us made our way to my room. Ren closed the door behind us and I went over to sit on the bed.

“Aura,” Ren began in a dangerous tone then.

I looked at him and fear coursed through my veins. Did he know? Oh god I hoped not. “Yes?” I asked playing innocent.

He ran a hand through his hair, let out a deep sigh and said, “Did I do something wrong? You seemed distant the last half of the night.”

I almost let out a breath of relief, but stopped myself at the last minute. I shook my head, “No baby. Why would you think that?”

Ren gave me a pained look. “You think I couldn’t tell that every time I gazed at you with love, you would quickly glance away? Aura, please tell me I didn’t upset you in some way.”

My face blazed with shame. Had I really been doing that? I hadn’t realized it. I was just so afraid of looking like I was scared that I must have given him fleeting looks. God, I was such an idiot. I had hurt his feelings without even realizing it!

I hung my head then, “I’m sorry Ren. No, you didn’t upset me, I was just preoccupied.”

He cocked his head, “Preoccupied with what?”

Damn, I knew he would ask. I lied, “I wanted you all to myself so I could kiss and cuddle with you.”

His golden eyes widened, “Oh Aura, that was all?”

I nodded shyly and bit my lip.

He smirked, “You should have said something. I would have gladly left that place to kiss and cuddle you.”

I smiled and he came over to me. He grabbed my face and kissed me. My worries melted away for the moment and I only felt the sweet kiss. We ended up kissing for about fifteen minutes, before I fell asleep in Ren’s arms.

That night I had a nightmare. I was running in a forest, my feet slapping against the ground, as I fled from my attacker. My breath came out in short gasps, as I tried gulping in air. I tripped over a tree branch that was sprawled on the ground. My body went lurching forward, and I tumbled onto the ground. I let out a shriek, and groaned as I lay on the ground. I heard footsteps behind me, and I became terrified. Who was my pursuer? I turned my body around, and saw whom it was. It was someone I had never met before. He was around six feet tall, with dark blue hair spiked up. He was wearing all black, and strode toward me with purpose. I tried to stand up, fear pervading throughout my body. For some reason my body was frozen, and I could hardly move my limbs.

The man grabbed my hair, pulling me upwards, “Get up.”

“I can’t,” I cried out, sobbing.

He snarled, “Do it.”

I began to cry, but tried to pick myself up. My body wouldn’t move though, no matter how much I tried to get up. This caused me to cry even more. The man hit me in the face, and screamed, “I gave you an order!”

All seemed lost, when suddenly I saw the man’s body flung into the air. He coughed up blood, and shuddered. “R-en?” I stammered, my eyes widening as I took in my love. Ren snarled at the man, “How dare you hurt my Aura!”

I felt warmth spread throughout my body. He was being so protective of me. I suddenly felt reassured. Everything seemed more hopeful. I saw Ren sink his teeth into the man’s neck. He screamed, and squirmed, fighting the action. After a moment though, he became limp. The man’s body slid down to the ground, when Ren dropped him. He walked over to me, and helped me up. Electricity coursed through my veins, and I suddenly felt movement in my limbs again. I wondered why I had been frozen.

“Ren why couldn’t I move?” I questioned.

Ren sighed, “It’s because you were so frightened. Haven’t you heard of being unable to move in your dreams, because you’re so afraid?”

I nodded, “Actually I have.”

Ren smiled, “Good girl.” He then wrapped me into a hug, and said softly, “I was so worried about you baby. That guy wasn’t normal.”

“What do you mean? He didn’t do anything to me,” I said.

Ren let out a sigh “Okay well I wasn’t telling the complete truth just now. Yes there is a thing such as being paralyzed by fear in a dream, but that wasn’t the case this time. No, that man was a descendant of us vampires.”

My eyes widened, “What does that mean? Does he possess vampire powers?”

Ren nodded, “I’m sad to say yes. However, he isn’t a full vampire, which means our powers aren’t completely useless against him. He has a power that makes it so his victim’s body will freeze up. I think it’s called complete body paralysis.”

This was all so strange; I didn’t know that there could be non-vampires with powers such as ours. It was all disorienting.

“I can tell this is all hard to take in,” Ren said.

I nodded, “It truly is.”

“You may need to keep this memory though. Who knows when you may need it?” Ren replied cryptically. At that moment, the world around me shattered. I woke up with a vague recollection of what had occurred in my dream. Ren was sleeping beside me, and I smiled. He looked beautiful. I leaned in and kissed his cheek softly. I didn’t know if Ren was going to kill me or not, but I trusted him no matter what. I supposed I was naïve to believe that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter. :)