Vampires can Love Too

More dreams

I dream of many things. My first dream is I’m swimming in a lake, and the sun is setting. The light or water doesn’t seem to faze me like I know it should. My foot gets caught in algae then and I struggle to get loose. It hooks itself around my leg though and starts to pull me under. My head sinks under the water and I feel my breath running out.

It’s strange vampires don’t have to breathe so why would I be freaking out about something so insignificant? Maybe I’m thinking the way a human does? I feel hands on my body then, pulling my soaking wet skin out of the water. The hands rest me on the shore. I am barely conscious. I feel lips on mine then, giving me air. I sputter and water comes out of my mouth. I open my eyes and see Ren. He smiles wolfishly at me and I try to get up.

My body feels like a thousand pounds though. I just let myself fall back to the ground and close my eyes.My next dream is stranger than the last. I fly in the air, floating on the air currents. That should have told me I was in a dream. I didn’t get that I was in a dream until I saw my pure white wings holding me up in the air.

I fly for the majority of the dream, passing through clouds, the wind in my hair. I stopped flying at a floating island. I landed there and the people that inhabited the island had wings like me. We speak differently though. The way we communicate is telepathically. I think it’s pretty cool. The sun shines down and it doesn’t affect me again. I see a robot in the corner conversing to a boy with wings. He looks familiar. When I get up close I recognize it’s the boy I work with. Kenta, Usui. He looks at me and we start to talk.

I ask him what he was talking about to the robot. Kenta smiles and tells me that they were talking about a jungle where technology and magic reside. I gasp, for some reason I suddenly know that magic and technology have been on bad terms for at least ten centuries. I ask Kenta if he is positive such a place exists. Kenta nods and I shrug. I fly off with Kenta into the sun and that’s when I wake up.

When I wake up I decide that I had some pretty strange dreams. In both of them I had human qualities. I’m not sure that’s the scary part of my dreams, however. For some reason the thought of humanity suddenly appeals to me. I shake my head, what am I thinking? Vampires rule! We’re the supreme species. I look outside and see that the night is young. It’s about time for my job. I decide to head there.

When I get to my job and clock in Karin refuses to look at me. Kenta looks confused. I glance at Kenta and wonder why I dreamt of him. It’s not like I’m in love with him or that we’re even good friends. Maybe I just dreamt of him because I had work on my mind. I nod, that has to be it. I take people’s orders and try to talk to Karin. Karin makes up excuses the entire night that she’s busy. I finally get to talk to her after work.

Kenta is supposed to be walking Karin home but he’s changing right now. I turn to Karin and ask why she’s been avoiding talking to me. I know the answer though.

Karin glares at me and says, “Why didn’t you tell me you were going out with my brother?”

Oh boy.

“Well because I knew you would just tell me to stay away from him.”

“As you should!” Karin says infuriated now.

“Why?” I ask.

Karin looks at me genuinely then. “My big brother takes advantage of girls he always wants their blood and sex.”

I feel myself blush. I know what she’s talking about. Every time he’s been with me he’s tried to make love to me.

I put on a brave face though, “I know Karin but I like him.”

Karin looks surprised, “You know?”

I nod.

Karin frowns, “Well just be careful, he’s manipulative.”

I nod and Karin smiles at me.

“If you can make it work then I’ll support you two.”

I feel close to tears. “Thanks Karin.”

Karin smiles, “No problem.”

Kenta shows up then and he and Karin walk off together. I wonder if they’re dating. I shake my head no way vampires don’t date humans. Well maybe Karin does but I don’t. I go to Karin’s house and beat her there. I look around and wander into Ren’s room. He’s not there. He must be hunting. I run off to the park and when I get there I see Ren sinking his teeth into a young girl. I wait until he’s drained her to approach him.

I call his name and he turns around. When he sees me he jumps on me. I gasp as I’m knocked to the ground.

“Aura! You’re here!” He says, enthusiastically.

I nod and ask him to get off of me. He gets up and helps me stand.

“I need your help Ren,” I say.

Ren cocks his head back and I tell him about us needing to exterminate the vampire hunter. Ren grins when I tell him about it. He obviously is excited about getting to exterminate a vampire hunter.

“Where do you think he could be hiding?” Ren asks.

I shrug and we decide to check in town. Ren stays close to my side the entire time we look. We finally spot the vampire hunter. Well it’s actually me who spots him because Ren doesn’t know what he looks like. He’s in the middle of the street, talking to a man. I hear him talking about a coven of vampires in Japan. I shiver he’s got to be stopped.

The man in the meanwhile seems to be looking skeptical. I point at the blonde boy in the funny getup and Ren nods. We move through the crowd until we reach the boy and the man. “Can we talk?” I ask, making my voice seductive sounding. The blonde vampire hunter nods, spellbound. I laugh silently and take the vampire slayer into an alley. The man who was talking to blondie just walks on ahead, as if he doesn’t care about what happens to him.

We stop at a dead end and the vampire slayer asks what is going on. I put on the charm and tell him I just want to talk. He nods, mesmerized.

“What do you want to talk about?” he asks.

“Are you a vampire hunter?” I ask.

He nods vigorously, “It’s my duty to protect these good people from vampires.”

I glance at Ren and he nods.

“What would you do if you saw a vampire right now?”

His eyes get wide, “There’s one here? Where?”

I laugh, “I’m speaking hypothetically. What would you do?”

His eyes get cold and narrow, “I’d kill it of course.”

Ren retracts his fangs and steps in front of me.

I retract my fangs and I’m about to sink my teeth into his neck when I hear a voice say, “Winner! Where are you?”

Winner apologizes and says he has to go. I growl and Ren sighs.

“Just let him go, we’ll get other chances.”

I nod and Winner disappears.

Ren turns to me and says, “Let’s go back to the park.”

I nod and we go back to the park. We sit on a park bench and make out. Ren’s hand rests on my shoulder, massaging it. I let out a groan as we kiss and he chuckles. I scoot over closer to Ren and he wraps his arms around me. He’s hugging me then and I feel in total ecstasy. I feel the cold wind blow against my hair. Autumn is here, my favorite month.

Ren breaks away and he says, “Would you like to go to a fall festival with me in two days?”

I nod but then realize I didn’t tell my manager that I’d be “sick” again. I tell Ren this and he says fix the manager’s mind so I can come with him. I laugh and say it’s a date. I walk away from Ren then and start heading towards my house.