I'm a Fake

Bad News

It was now about 2 hours later and my mom still wasn’t home. I kept looking out the window expecting to see her car pulling into our driveway. But that didn’t happen. I was currently sitting on the couch in the living room trying to distract myself with the TV and trying to fight the urge to look out the window again. But it wasn’t working. I got up off the couch and looked out the window again. That’s when I saw the headlights coming up the road. I hoped it was my mom. The car pulled into the driveway and relief flowed over me. I left the window and went out the front door, preparing myself to ask my mother where she had been. But as soon as I stepped out the front door, the relief I had felt before quickly left and was replaced by fear. It wasn’t my mom’s car that had pulled into my driveway. It was a police car. The police officer was coming towards me.

“Vanessa Peterson?” he said when he got closer.

“Y-yes?” I stuttered.

“Your mother was in a car accident,” he said.

“What?” I said. I couldn’t believe this. She’s all I have. “Is she ok?”

“Yes,” the police officer said. “She’s going to be fine. The only problem is, she was driving while intoxicated. Once she’s released from the hospital she’s going to be spending some time in jail.”

I looked down. I could feel tears forming in my eyes. I’d think it would be the opposite. I love being alone…right?

“Ms. Peterson?” the police officer said. “Your mother requested that you stay with a Linda Iero while she’s gone.”

I looked up quickly.

“Do I have to?” I asked.

“Yes,” he answered. “You’re still a minor and it’s what your mother wants. Now, can you get your stuff together and I’ll escort you to the Iero’s house.”

“Does Mrs. Iero know I’m going to be staying there?” I asked.

“Yes,” the police officer said. “We called her before I came here.”

I just nodded my head and went into my house. I went into my room and grabbed my suitcase out of my closet. I threw a bunch of clothes into it. After I was done packing I grabbed my suitcase and my book bag and went outside.

“Ready?” asked the police officer when he saw me.

“Yeah,” I said.

We walked over to the Iero’s house and the police officer knocked on their front door. I stared at my feet while waiting for someone to answer the door. I couldn’t believe my mom would be dumb enough to drive drunk.

The front door opened and I looked up to see who it was. To my great misfortune, Frank had answered the door. Instead of trying to be nice to me like usual, he just frowned at me. I smirked to myself. I see he got my message from earlier. Then I remembered I’d be living with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was motivated by the one comment I recieved that I decided to update quickly ; ) Feedback?
~Sally