Status: Hiatus

Annoyed the Ice Until It Melted

Welcome to Hogwarts

I happily bounded up to a random compartment on the Hogwarts Express and pressed my nose against the glass. Currently it had only one platinum haired blonde boy residing inside.

After a few seconds of wondering if I should go in, he looked up at me and sneered… oh, big mistake buddy, no one sneers at a Hart!

I planted myself opposite him and although he said nothing he continued to sneer at me. "Maddy, Maddy Hart," I introduced, extending my hand in attempts to break the silence. Hey, I knew things would never go well between me and a guy who sneered at someone he didn’t even know, but at least in the future I can say I tried… a little.

He looked up at me, and sneered again, his icy blue eyes shining in irritation. "I don't care," He spat, "Get out."

Wow… someone is going to be on Santa’s naughty list this year!

I raised my eyebrows. Done with the pretence of introductions I could now give him a dose of Maddy Madness "Make me." I mocked as a cheeky grin overcame my features.

He glared, as he stood up, and bellowed; "Get out!" I rose to my own feet and remained un-flinching as he glared down at me.

"Not very nice are you? And you know, it might be a good idea to use your inside voice. You might attract some unwanted attention." I nodded knowingly, and then poked him hard in the chest.

"No! And I’ll use my outdoor voice, should the occasion call for it!" He huffed angrily. "Now, this is your last warning Hart… leave." He crossed his arms, trying to inconspicuously rub the area on his chest I had just viciously prodded.

Hahaha, it hurt, I thought, whilst broadening my grin. God was he rude... But hey, at least he heard my name- wait! He listened? Merlin he made it too easy!

"Oh, so you do care what my name is?" I smiled up taunting him, my eyes sparkling in amusement as his face turned into one of horror "That's a good start I guess. Keep it up Kiddo! Soon you'll be off to learning your alphabet!" I said in a mock appraising voice, tempted to see what his reaction would be like if I reached up and tussled his hair.

"God, you think you're so clever don't you?" He sneered as he looked me up and down. I nodded in reply, with my eyes wide and a large grin on my face.

A slight blush crept up his pale cheeks illuminating his mortification. Then noticing his slip of embarrassment, he sneered before saying; "Fine. Sit here for all I care… I’ll just pretend you don’t exist," He mumbled.

I grinned in triumph. Maddy: 1 - Evil boy/Loser: 0… and boy, will there be many more points to come, I thought hiding the evil grin that planned to erupt on my face. A couple of awkward minutes passed by for him as he shifted uneasily under the unwavering gaze of Maddy Hart. "What in the bloody hell are you looking at?!"

I grinned, and shook my head before replying; "I was just wondering if your hair was solid or not...Hey, can I touch it?" I said reaching towards his head preparing to mess up his rock hard gelled head.

"No it's bloody not! And step back, you weirdo!" I chuckled, shrugging my shoulders as I sat back down, cool as a cucumber. He quickly followed. We sat there in silence once again with me continuing to look at him. "And stop looking at me!" he snapped.

Image

As all my other new class mates stood trembling head to toe, I stood there with eerie calmness as I took in my new surroundings. I looked at the grand marble staircase glinting in the firelight that led to the higher floors.

I observed the dark corridor that seemed to guide the way into black oblivion, the high ceilings that held the stain glass windows representing the four founders of Hogwarts. I tried to commit every shadow to memory even though I would have seven long years to do so.

Then, a woman wearing emerald green robes stepped through the door that lead to the Great Hall. She had a stern face and looked like the person who could make a grown man cry… without trying.

"The firs`-years, Professor McGonagall," came Hagrid's gruff voice somewhere from behind the crowds. She nodded curtly and stepped forward to address us.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because; while you are here your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house and spend free time-..."

I tuned out the rest of her lecture. I knew it all off by heart- Seth, my older brother, filled me in. I had also borrowed his copy of 'Hogwarts: A History' and read it over a few times.

It was safe to say I knew exactly what I was in for. And I knew exactly what house I would be sorted in. I grinned heavily at the thought of bringing more chaos and pranks into the walls of Hogwarts. With the Weasley twins and the second Hart, the concoction of chaos was complete.

Breaking abruptly from my thoughts, we were lead forwards into the Great Hall. I looked up immediately to stare at the night sky that hung above the four tables. The dark blanket of the night was speckled with stars that shone like diamonds. It was simply one of the most awe inspiring sites I’d ever seen.

"It's bewitched to look like the night sky; I read it about it in 'Hogwarts: A History.'" A girl with rabbit teeth and alarming bushy hair whispered to the astounded group of people she was surrounded by.

I rolled my eyes and mimicked her in a high pitched and squeaky voice. She instantly turned to glare at me, and I silently prayed that she wouldn’t end up in the same house as me.

"God what a show off..." I heard the unidentified blonde kid from the train mutter under his breath slightly in front of me. I pushed my way across to be slightly nearer to him.

"Can’t be as bad as you though eh, Blondie?" I whispered, and added a wink.

As he twisted round and as he began his retort, Professor McGonagall shot him an icy glare and he immediately closed his mouth and directed a glare of his own at me, which only intensified when I mockingly held a finger to my lips and quietly uttered; ‘Shh!’- before smirking. I saw a familiar blush growing on his cheeks once again, making me let out a soft chuckle.

Maddy:2, Blondie:0.

As names were read out and my new classmates were sorted into their various houses, I decided to continue to irritate Blondie by rhythmically poking him. He tried to remain silent as I continuously drove my finger into his side and he even tried to copy my actions. I declared a silent poke war, and continued my vicious flow of pokes, but was interrupted mid-poke as my name was called out.

"Madeline-Rae Hart." I cringed at my full name but immediately replaced it with my trade mark grin/smirk as I stepped through the crowd, onto the platform.

Turning around to face the four tables, I loudly stated; "I prefer Maddy, actually, because you know Madeline-Rae… it’s a little too long, and it sounds funny. Well at least I think so. I don't know about you, but some of you are probably already thinking 'hey, her name sounds-"

"Miss Hart, please!" -
"Maddy! Sit down!" two people had simultaneously interrupted my speech; the only difference was that one (Seth) was laughing.

"Yes Ma'am!" I obliged too quickly, missing the stool and landing hard on my ass on the stone flagged ground.

As everyone started giggling at my ungraceful landing, I scrambled my way back to my feet; “Well, it’s a good thing I’ve got a big arse… I do recommend them for all emergency landings. Great cushions!” I announced, tapping my bum and finally planted myself on the three legged stool (this time aiming carefully) whilst the entire hall was tried to suppress their laughs.

The hat was dropped onto my head and slipped over most of my head and came to a stop at my nose. I faintly remember Professor McGonagall’s small smile before my sight was replaced by blackness.

"Another Hart? Merlin, please protect Hogwarts!" The hat prayed, before it boomed its verdict throughout the hall, "GRYFFINDOR!"… And that is how we Hart’s do it!

I knew that Gryffindor was the only house for me, but I was still overjoyed. I clambered down from the stool, took a bow and walked up to the astounded/horrified Professor.

"See you around Professor, I have a feeling you and I will be seeing lots of each other over the next 7 years!" And with those parting words I jumped from the platform and skipped to my allocated table and turned to wink at Dumbledore, whose blue eyes were twinkling merrily and he lightly raised his goblet to me.

Hogwarts is in for a treat.

As I sat down beside the others who have been put into Gryffindor from first year, two more names were called... one of them being Blondie, who is apparently also known as Draco Malfoy. Pfft, what kind of name is Draco? I thought as I watched the hat barely touch his head before shouting; "SLYTHERIN!"

Slytherin, eh? Brilliant. And that ain’t sarcasm…

The second boy who was called looked slightly peculiar. Almost...scared? "Harry Potter" was his name, he was quite tall and skinny. The hat remained on his head for a while and it seemed as though the whole hall was holding its breath as they awaited the verdict.

"GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers as he was welcomed to the table. So... The Harry Potter eh?
♠ ♠ ♠
a note from author She Said Poptarts!

OK, before judging.. I just wanted to let you know that this story was inspired by my obsession with Draco Malfoy stories on Quizilla that happened years ago (2006-07). Remember how cheesy, and those 'bad boy gone soft' stories that were on the Highest Rated/Most Popular lists? Well, I've been wanting to write a story like that, and this is what happened. JUST LOOK AT THE STORY TITLE!

So if you want to read something lighthearted or to have a dose of nostalgia, this story is for you! (;

edit: this story is 3 years old, so... a bit of editing needs to be done. beware!