Status: Hiatus

Annoyed the Ice Until It Melted

Protector of the Innocent

I bless the day I met Draco Malfoy... Why? Well, simply because he ended up making me grow into the girl I am today, six years later. I mean, he was a big git when I first met him. But after I’d dealt with him I’d managed to reduce his ego to a bearable level.

See, I deal with people like him all the time… Okay, that’s’ a lie. Quite frankly he’s the kind of the only one I ‘deal’ with, but the first time I talked back to him, making him get irritated or embarrassed, I fell in love with knowing that I had that kind of effect on someone and it made me who I am today.

All I have to say is that I'm damn proud of myself.

However pranking Malfoy has practically become an obsession, I'll admit. But it's the best obsession anyone can ever have, seriously- you end up having a good laugh everyday humiliating those who bully other people or see themselves superior; and having the feeling of everyone's gratitude and encouragement directed at you.

You see, Malfoy isn’t the only Slytherin with a snobby air to them so the only people I pester are that lot. The other houses don't have that many people who bully… Actually...I'm not sure if any of them bully at all. Oh well...

Protector of the Innocent is my calling card. That's right, I, Maddy Hart, defend those who cannot defend themselves against The Draco Malfoy. And I defend with pleasure. Well, actually, they aren't always innocent, and sometimes my motive to humiliate Malfoy isn't to actually protect someone... but you catch my drift right?

I bet you've all heard of the phrase, 'Karma's A Bitch'? Well...I'm Draco's, self declared karma and conscience; yup, we're the best of friends (insert my evil grin here). Anyways, so it's basically my job to get back at him, for anyone he so much as sneers at or bullies. And I mean that...I get paid 1 Galleon to avenge those who have been picked on by Malfoy.

That is my reputation in Hogwarts. But obviously, the teachers don't know about my 'calling card'… although many of them (mainly Snape), have wondered why my only victim mostly happens to be a certain Malfoy. And since it’s pretty much impossible to keep a secret in Hogwarts, I always manage to land myself a detention (more like a few hundred detentions).

You see, since the Wizarding world has reached the stage of recovery where people can again freely admit they have ‘impure’ blood, we have also developed a certain type of class who seem to think themselves better than others as they are ‘pureblood.’

And Malfoy is such kind of snob. I know I’m a pureblood too, but that’s out of pure coincidence. And since I don’t have a death eater parent and none of my family supports the dark side I must be a ‘Blood traitor.’

It disgusts me. With his stupid smirk, ‘superior’ air, and how his nose scrunches up as if something that stunk horribly was under their nose when certain people go near him, he definitely made it easy for people to hate him. And so it is my duty to put people like him in their place, whether it be covered in very foul goo, or locked up in Moaning Myrtles bathroom; two of my all time favourites.

The burst of adrenaline of doing something naughty, like, transfiguring Filch's cat into a hairless guinea pig or levitating dung into someone's school bag, gives me the rush that I need and makes the punishment for it all the more worthwhile. I think it's safe to say that I am an adrenaline junkie.

Oh, even at the age of 11, I knew it I could do it all; with help from my brother and the twins, of course. They taught me the ropes and the secret passageways, the way to tell good quality Wart cap powder from itching powder. They told me who to avoid and how to tell if someone required our… ‘Services.’

They also gave me the gift of strategy. All my pranks are original and effective; As long as the deed is done, and done well, who cares if I get caught? And the fact that Malfoy got into Slytherin was an even better reason to pick on him.

Image

"Luna!" My voice carried to the other side of the train towards Luna Lovegood, who was in a year below me in Ravenclaw. We met when I asked her what she was doing when she wore these big spectacles and a net; two years ago in my fourth year.

"Yes? Have you found one?" Her dreamy voice was filled with excitement at the thought of finally catching one of the most evasive creatures to exist...Nargles! That’s right, that day she also explained to me what Nargles are and I found myself determined to catch one of those bloody things.

She looked slightly frazzled, her blonde hair sticking out in various directions and her Nargle glasses were hanging lopsidedly on her nose.

I put a finger to my lips in a signal of hush and waved my hand frantically in a random direction, my own pair of Nargle glasses dangling precariously from the end of my nose whilst readying my Nargle net which was lying dormant on my shoulder.

We looked at each other and screamed, "Charge!"

In the end, we didn't catch the discovery of the century and I sighed as I lay my Nargle catching equipment down safely. I will catch one of those bloody things, someday! And then I'll shove it up Hermione's nose.

With that mental image in tow, I gleefully skipped down the corridor, knocking on random doors screaming; "Boo!" Or I leaned against their window with my face in a funny position until they noticed me. I did earn a few glares, or giggles.

I finally got bored and instead of walking the dreadfully long way back to my compartment I peered into one, which just happened to be Draco Malfoy's; excellent.

SCORE: Maddy- 0, Draco-0… a new year, a new scoreboard.

I plastered an evil grin on my face, and then burst through the door jumped on Draco's lap wrapping my arms around his neck and squealed, "Drakie Poo! Ah, I've missed you so much!" in a respectable imitation of Pansy who looked horrified at me sitting on her 'boyfriends' lap.

As I felt like being totally obnoxious today, I decided to continue with my revolting facade. With my arms still around Draco's neck, I turned to Pansy and squealed; "Paannss! I missed you too!" The pitch of my voice could have cracked all the glass in the entire compartment, had it not been reinforced.

She stared at me in shock, but when she didn't reply I turned back to Malfoy who was having a hard time deciding if it was a good thing I was there, or a bad thing. After all, I did have a gift of shutting Pansy up!

"Hart… are you drunk?" With those words of welcome, he unceremoniously dumped me on the floor and moved further away as if my obnoxious behaviour was contagious.

"Oh, only off of your love!" I grinned up at him happily from the floor and fluttered my eyelashes, whilst he sat rigid in alarm.

Wait for it....

Seconds later he cooled his demeanour and replied with his usual smirk, "I knew you couldn't resist me Hart. After all, I am a Malfoy- Draco Malfoy to be exact." He waved his pale arm gesturing to himself as if he were a celebrity.

Ding! Ding! Ding! People we have our ego-maniac!

I had been in the process of trying to haul myself from the floor when he said that, but as soon as the words registered I somehow landed flat on my ass again. Nice huh...?

"You say that like you’re important, Draco darling!" I added a posh English accent to my words and continued my 'polite' retort rather airily. "We both know that money doesn’t buy you fame... or brains for that matter!" And with a shrug I turned to face the currently silent Pansy whilst still seated on the floor.

"So Pans-Pans, how are you darling?" My voice oozed a level of sweetness honey would be jealous off.

She gaped at me in shock as if she were too horrified to be her usual rude self… I suppose to her, I had just reached a new level of weird. “Fine…” She replied, regaining the usage of her vocal chords.

The room remained silent apart from my humming as I looked from face to face in the compartment hoping someone would start the conversation.

When no one did, I stood up and dusted myself off as I cheerfully said; “Wow, you Slytherins’ are boring!” And I walked out of the sliding compartment door with a cheerful wave.

Image