Love Potions Don't Work

Love Potions Don't Work.

Ever since I could remember, I had always had a way with people. My parents adored me, even when I was at my worst. I had only met one or two people who couldn’t stand me. When I first started Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I thought everyone would love me. I was wrong.

I’m not the greatest witch like Hermione, but I try my hardest. I’m not quite as funny as Fred and George, but I do keep people smiling and laughing. I’m not as brave as Harry, but I’m pretty brave to stand up to the Bloody Baron on my own. I try to please everyone, but some days I can be a bitch. People practically know everything about me. All my emotions show on my face. I can’t hide anything.

I was in my sixth year, and exams were almost over. I knew I had done extremely well on all the ones I had taken. My last exam was Potions. I’m not great, but I’m not terrible at potions. As I thought about my exam, it brought back memories.

I loved being in the dungeons and I absolutely loved the eerie feeling it gave me. Snape wasn’t that bad looking either. Even though I was in Gryffindor, Snape actually liked me. I usually tried to pair up with Harry so Snape wouldn’t mess with him. It almost always worked, except when I was paired with Draco. Snape would always put Draco and I together. I had a huge crush on Draco. Even though he’s a prick sometimes, he still caught my attention. When we were paired up, Snape would drift over and comment on how cute a couple we would make. Draco could be the angel and I could be the demon.

In a way, it’s true. Based on looks, where Draco is all pale and light, I’m the complete opposite. My skin isn’t nearly as pale as his. My shoulder length hair is the color of an inky night sky. I know I’m pretty. I’m even a little vain, but I’m still a nice person. That’s what attracts people to me.

I had dated almost everyone by fifth year’s Christmas. I just couldn’t seem to find the right girl or boy to stay with. Draco finally asked me out after the holiday. I thought I would be happy with him. For a while, I thought I was in love. I gave myself to him completely. I knew he loved me. It might have been puppy love, but it was still love. He would wait for me every morning by the grand staircase. He would place his hand gently on the small of my back and kiss my forehead. We spent every moment we could with each other. We were Hogwarts golden couple. Who would have thought that a Gryffindor beauty and the Slytherin prince would last so long?

Then, the fights started. I always started them. I would become so angry with Draco about things like him becoming a Deatheater, or why couldn’t I get rid of that stupid Pansy girl. It was mostly his involvement with Voldemort and other dark things that frightened me and pissed me off. I would always apologize for starting the fight and we would make up. We would have amazing sex and everything would be all lovey dovey again. He would kiss my forehead and whisper how much he loved me. But one night, it didn’t end that way.

I had slipped into Draco’s dorm and was waiting to apologize for being mad again. I knew he was stressed and he wanted to do good for me. I wasn’t being fair to him. When he came in, he glared at me and advanced menacingly toward me.

“What do you want now, Ember?”

“I’ve come to say sorry. I don’t mean to become so angry with the things you do. I love you.”

He laughed coldly and told me to get out before he hurt me. I didn’t listen. When he was through with me, he left me broken in his bed. He didn’t have to even use his wand to hurt me so badly. As I was lying there, willing myself to forgive him, Blaise came in. When he saw me, he ran out and returned with Snape. I wanted to scream at him for telling Draco that we should go out. I wanted to hit him for hooking us up, but I couldn’t.

Snape wrapped the blankets around me gently and carried me to Madam Pomfrey. I was left in her care for two weeks. Snape visited me every evening. He couldn’t stop apologizing. I didn’t feel like talking much, so I just reached for his hand and held it to let him know it wasn’t his fault.

By the time I was back to one hundred percent, the whole school knew what had happened. Draco Malfoy had raped his own girlfriend, and then beat her up. He was the most hated boy at school. My house had started calling me their princess and the Prince of Snakes wasn’t going to get anywhere near me. Draco tried several times to apologize and make things right, but Snape was always close by to cut him off.

I never thought that Severus Snape would be so thoughtful, maybe even loving, towards me. Since I had missed the review weeks for exams, Snape offered to help me study. We never went to his office to study. He preferred to sit with me in the courtyard in the shade of the castle. Sometimes I would catch him staring at me out the corner of my eye. He always brought my favorite drinks and snacks to our study sessions, too.

When I had taken my other exams, I would go and discuss them with Snape. He always smiled and stopped doing whatever he was doing to listen to me. Snaping out of my thoughts, I pushed the dungeon door open to take my Potions exam. Snape had reviewed everything with me.I was totally read to ace this exam. Then he annouced what the potion would be. He had reviewed everything except love potions. That was what our exam was on. It was simple enough to do, but I was skeptical about its effects. After the exam, I went to talk to him.

“Professor Snape? Why did you not review love potions with me?”

“I didn’t want to remind you of Malfoy,” he replied curtly.

“It wouldn’t have reminded me of him. You can’t bottle true love, and I didin't have true love with him anyway. I believe there is another reason.”

“What other reason could there be, Miss Willow?”

“You like me, Severus.” He had been putting vials away, but he looked at me when I said his name. He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms.

“Prove it,” he dared.

“No other person was as concerned about me when Draco hurt me, as you were. You personally wrapped me up and carried me when you could have had someone else get me. You helped me study, brought my favorite snacks, and couldn’t take your eyes off me just like you’re doing now. You drop whatever you’re working on to talk to me. I’m the Gryffindor Princess and you haven’t told me to get out. Need I go on?” I stood right in front of him now.

“Okay, you proved it. But love potions don’t work. They only create infatuation.”

“I don’t need a love potion to know that you have loved me all along and it nearly killed you when you found me…”

Before I could finish, Severus had closed the distance between us, lifted my face toward his, and kissed me softly. “I’m glad you figured it out. Now, tell me you’ll be mine, Ember.”

“I will be yours, Severus, for as long as you want me.”

“That will be forever, love. “

Love potions don’t really work, but this one helped me find the right man after all.