Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Thirteen.

"I don't care what you say, I'm going," Dannie declared after she told Bryan and Caden of her decision to go to Rome. "I have to leave."

"You never even told us why you're doing this," Bryan said, blocking the hotel's front door so she couldn't walk out. "You're leaving in the middle of our tour and you won't even tell us why! What is going on?"

"This is more inportant than the tour," she told him, but he didn't believe her.

"If it was, you'd explain," he remarked.

She thought about spilling everything to them. But she didn't want them getting involved. They already knew about Evan and Ravyn but she refused to let them tag along and end up getting hurt or killed. "I can't. Now, move."

"No." Bryan stood his ground. "Tell us why you're taking off like this."

"I can't!" she said again.

"Why not?"

"It's for your own good."

Bryan just looked at her with confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"I can't get into it, just drop it and let me go," she demanded. She tried to shove her way through but Bryan held onto her. "Bryan, stop!"

"What's going on here?" Erick had appeared out of practically nowhere and approached them.

"Nothing..." Dannie muttered bitterly, her expression turning annoyed.

"She's leaving and isn't telling us why," Caden explained.

"Caden...." Dannie growled, turning her head to glare at him. She didn't want Erick knowing her business.

"Dannie, this little game of mystique and secrecy is getting old really fast," Bryan told her. "We're your friends. Why can't you just tell us?"

"Why can't you just trust me enough to let me go?" she asked him. The other three were silent as she stared up into Bryan's eyes, hoping she could make them listen. "Please...just let me go."

"Yes," Erick agreed. Bryan released one of Dannie's arms so she could turn around and look at Erick. She was puzzled by his response. "I agree with her. You should let her go."

"Yeah, you'd want me gone, wouldn't you?" Dannie asked, her eyes full of anger toward him. "Or are you trying to make me like you by taking my side? I see what you're doing!"

"Dannie, stop that," Bryan said impatiently. "Even when he's trying to help you, you treat him like this. Stop."

Dannie relaxed and looked at Erick. She wanted to see if he was sincere or not. It was hard to tell. His black eyes harbored no expression. They never did.

"If Dannie feels she should do this, you should let her," Erick explained. "You should trust her decisions and support her, even if you don't understand her intention. She is obviously set on leaving. All you can do is step aside and let her make her own choice."

Bryan knew he was right. Finally, he released her and moved out of her way. "Well...if you really know what you're doing..."

"I do," she promised. She gave Bryan a long hug. "I'm sorry..."

"You sure you don't want us to go with you?" he asked.

"I'm sure."

Dannie hugged Caden as well. She didn't hug Erick though, even after what he had done for her. Not one word was even spoken to him as she left.

* * * * *

Another nightmare jerked Evan awake. It was the same exact dream every single night for as long as he can remember. He sat up in his large, black bed that was in the middle of his gigantic master bedroom. It just seemed so real and so vivid and detailed. He saw himself get stabbed and from what he could tell, it was in a girl’s point of view. Her voice was full of anger and hate toward the man who injured him and he heard her crying and trying to help him as he bled on the ground in the icy cold rain. She held his hand and called out for help before the dream blacked out. It repeated every time he slept. And every time he’d wake up, he looked down at his chest to see the scar the stab wound had left on his skin. He wished he knew who the woman was and why his subconscious played the same memory night after night. Evan wished he knew what it meant and who the girl was and if she was even real.

“The nightmare again?” his companion, Myra, asked, her voice soft in the darkness. She was always beside him while he slept through the afternoons. Now, it was after sunset. “It’s time for you to get up anyway.” She put her arms around him and kissed for this cold cheek, then touched his soft black hair. Myra was his human donor. He had spelled her to keep her in his house almost like a captive. One would think she loved him if they didn’t know any better. She was simply entranced. Myra had no choice but to do as he asked of her and care for him. “Your new donor applicants are arriving soon.”

He didn’t say anything back yet. He just sat on the edge of his bed, thinking about his dream. Or memory. Or whatever it was. No matter how many times he saw it, he never grew used to it.

“You’re not replacing me, are you?” she asked and brushed her fingers through his hair. She already knew the answer but she just liked asking him whenever she had the chance.

“Of course not,” he replied, then turned his head to look at her. His face was always expressionless and his eyes glowed in the dark. “I just need at least one more donor so I don’t end up killing you.”

“Why are they applying for this?” she inquired. “I never applied.”

“Because I knew no one would find you,” he told her. “I have to make sure these girls won’t be missed.”

Myra remembered how she was chosen. All he did was to follow her home one evening and then the next thing she knew, she was at his castle, under his spell. That was all it took for him to choose her. He must have been having bad luck finding other girls who had low profiles so he decided to do what many vampires do in treat it like a job and require applicants. “I need you to read through every selection and narrow them down for me.”

“Yes, sir,” she replied respectfully.

He was about to get up, but realized he felt a craving for her blood. Going without could have dire consequences so he decided to feed from her before starting his evening. Feeding usually led to other actions and this was no exception. He definitely abused his relationship with her but held no remorse for it.

As he was dressing, he said, “I’ll start seeing the inquirers at 9:00. I have other business to attend to first.”

“Yes, sir,” she said again, resting on his bed. “You’re not going to take advantage of all your donors, are you?” she wondered. Myra blinked and he was back in the bed next to her again. He just kissed her deeply and then stared into her eyes and asked, “Do you love me?” She had no choice now but to tell him the truth.

“No,” she answered. A small smile appeared upon her lips. She wished that just once, he’d smile back. “Why do you ask me that every day when you know the answer?”

“Just checking to see if your answer changes,” he said. The truth was that if she did love him, his hold on her would break and she would only be his by her own free will. But neither loved the other so he didn’t have to worry.

Myra realized he never gave her an answer. “Well, would you?”

“Do not question my intentions,” he told her. “My business with other girls is just that.” Evan got out of his bed for the final time before putting on his shoes and suit jacket and disappearing out of his room.
♠ ♠ ♠
14 will be up soon... :]