Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Fifteen.

"And you are?" Evan's soft, deep voice asked Dannie just before the thunder sounded. His eyes were the same color as lightning. She noticed he was wearing a black suit and looked practically the same since she had seen him last.

On the inside, Dannie was overjoyed. She wanted to run to him and embrace him and tell him everything was going to be all right since they were together again. She didn't want anything that Ravyn had told her to be true. She wanted to cry with happiness and remind him of who she was and who he used be. But, she couldn't. As much as it hurt her, she had to act like they were strangers.

Dannie did all she could in her power to remain calm. "My name is Danielle," she informed him. "I'm here to apply as a donor." She only blinked and his glowing eyes were gone.

"So you are," he said right into her left ear, startling her a little. She tensed up as he circled her, slowly, his eyes prying right into her. "Look at me." She did as he told. Their eyes locked contact as he interrogated her. "Are you here to kill me?"

"No," she replied honestly. He could tell she was sincere.

"Your application said you were referred," he reminded her. "Who referred you?"

"Ravyn," she answered. He continued pacing around her. It almost made her nervous.

"Do you know what I am?" he asked.

"Yes."

She felt his ice cold hand touch her wrist. He was feeling her pulse, she knew it. "Are you afraid of me?" He did have a sinister, menacing look in his eyes that could scare anybody. Dannie was only afraid of the possibility of him not believing her and wiping her memory like he did to the other girls. But she knew he would never kill her.

"No." Her body tensed up again as she hoped he'd believe her.

He smirked at her. This was something he hadn't done since they had separated. "You look scared," he taunted, counting her breaths. He stood beside her, intimidating her.

"I'm not," she promised.

"Why is that?" he inquired.

"I know you'd never hurt me." The words left her before she could stop them.

"You speak as though you know me," he observed.

She quickly tried to think of a cover. "Vampires don't hurt their donors."

"True," he agreed. "But I haven't decided if you have the position yet." Evan had some more questions. "Why would you want to be a donor?"

"The life," she replied. "It appeals to me." She herself couldn't even tell if it was true or not.

Evan smirked once again. "The life of imprisonment in a castle getting fed upon and bedded every night by a vampire is appealing to you?"

Dannie started making a face of disgust as she imagined that but was able to restrain. Thankfully, he didn't give her time to answer him.

"To each their own, I suppose," he muttered, still holding her wrist with his freezing fingers. "Your application was the best out of all of them. No family. No job. Good health. Knowledge about my kind's existence. All I need now is a taste of your blood."

Dannie suddenly remembered Ravyn's warning about how he should never drink from her. But, she couldn't stop him or he'd refuse her and turn her away. She didn't know what to do.

He stepped closer to her and raised his other hand onto the side of her face. Goosebumps rose all over her skin. He grazed his thumb across her lower lip softly and he could feel every one of her breaths on his hand. Her entire body was still while he touched her. His caress was so gentle until he reached the corner of her mouth. The nail on his thumb grew longer and sharpened and he dug it right into the corner of her lip. She gasped in pain but didn't jerk away from him. A small drop of blood began to seep out from the tiny wound he left on her mouth. She knew he intended to drink from her lip. Her pulse sped up and she wanted to tell him to stop but she couldn't. His head moved closer and closer to hers. She closed her eyes tight and and waited for something terrible to happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another short one, sorry. :3 16 will be up asap.