Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Sixteen.

Nothing happened.

Dannie opened her eyes to see a confused look on Evan's face. Something had stopped him. He released her and backed away from her so quickly, he knocked a chair over and his back hit the wall in less than a second. "Who are you??" he inquired suspiciously. "No, what are you??"

"I'm a human," she assured him. She was more afraid now than ever. "I'm not going to hurt you-"

"Why does your blood smell like that?" he asked her.

"Like what?"

"Foul. Like...poison." He couldn't really explain. But it repelled him.

"I don't know," she said. "I'm just as confused as you. I promise."

Evan started to calm down. He approached her again and swept his thumb over her lip, healing it. Then he held his hand out toward the fallen chair and without even touching it, he lifted it up right and offered it to her. "Have a seat."

Dannie couldn't believe what she had just seen. She wondered what else he had learned to do since he had left. Evan sat in his large chair on the other side of his desk and she accepted the one he had offered her. Even if it had moved through the air.

He had a lot of questions for her. "You said someone named Ravyn referred you?"

"Yes," Dannie confirmed.

"Who is that?"

"You don't know her?" Dannie was surprised.

"I don't. Who is she?"

"An elder vampire," she told him. "From some clan-"

"What clan is she part of?" he inquired. "Is she from the Dawne?"

"I don't know," Dannie said honestly. "She didn't say."

"I can't let anyone conspire against me," he explained. "They could be using you to get to me..."

Dannie disagreed but didn't know how to spell it all out. " Evan-"

"Wait," he interrupted and stared at her. "How do you know my name? No one told you my name..."

"I...um..." Dannie tugged on her jacket's arm nervously. As she pulled at it, Evan noticed a mark on her arm. It was a tattoo. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean-"

"Wait," he said again. "Show me your arm."

This was a strange request, but she granted it and slid her sleeve back up to her elbow and revealed her tattoo.

Evan stared at it for a long moment. "And your voice..." he muttered, piecing it all together. He studied her for a minute then asked, "Do I know you? I mean...really know you?"

Because of Ravyn's spell, she couldn't help him. It wouldn't break until he was absolutely sure he knew her. If he was, he wouldn't have to ask.

"Never mind," he dismissed it. He couldn't keep her as a donor but he didn't want to let her go. This girl could be from his past. He couldn't just forget his nightmares and the similarities between the girl in them and the one sitting in front of him. He wondered if she could help him. "All right. I have decided." She eagerly awaited to hear his announcement. "You can't be my donor. But you might have some information that may be of value to me. I insist you remain here until I can find out who Ravyn is and why your blood seems toxic to me. There is an empty corridor upstairs. You may reside there for the time being. My assistant will show you to your room. We'll talk more after you rest."

"Yes, sir," Dannie replied and exited the room. Myra had overheard his verdict and guided her to the upper level of the castle. The stairs were long and carpeted with red velvet like a palace and the banisters were gold. Chandeliers hung above them, sparkling through the dreary lighted halls. Large, grim, but colorful paintings hung along the wall. It looked like a scene right out of a storybook Dannie had read years ago as a child.

Myra stopped in front of the last door on the floor and announced, "this is where you will stay." She opened the door and flipped the light switch on. Dannie 's jaw dropped upon entering. She had expected a small, modest room. But this was entirely something much more. An electric chandelier hovered from the ceiling. The walls were a beautiful purple color and the curtains on the large windows matched. The carpet was also a gorgeous violet, it was soft and plush underneath her feet. She couldn't wait to take her shoes and socks off and let her bare toes sink into it. The bed was a large queen size surrounded with its own curtains. At least six pillows laid decoratively at its head and a large thick black comforter rested on top. She also had access to a walk in closet. It was empty and she looked forward to filling up. Last but not least, she had her own bathroom. It was larger than her entire apartment back home.

Everything looked so bright and new. Almost everything was ivory white except the rug by the sink which was, yes, purple.

"Will this do?" Myra asked.

"Yes," Dannie replied, almost speechless. " Thank you."

"Let me know if you need anything," Myra said before leaving.

Obviously being kept in a vampire's castle wasn't going to be as horrible as every piece of paranormal fiction she had read made it sound.

While Dannie laid in bed, she started thinking about what Ravyn had told her. She kept saying how evil Evan was now. But Dannie didn't see it or feel it. He did keep Myra here but it didn't seem like he mistreated her. 'Well, he did say he beds his donors,' Dannie remembered. Maybe he was taking advantage of her. And maybe Myra was entranced and couldn't protest him. Dannie didn't want to believe he'd do such a thing. He spared her and gave her the most beautiful room she had ever seen. And most importantly, she could tell that he was starting to trust her.

* * * * *

"So, what are you thinking?" Myra asked Evan. He was standing on his balcony, staring straight ahead at the dark horizon as he leaned on the banister.

"It might be her," he answered, still staring at the starless sky. Dawn would be showing itself soon. Myra stood at his side, watching him while he spoke. "The girl from my nightmares. Or memory. Whenever it may be."

"How can you know for sure?"

"Her tattoo... Her voice... And she knew my name," he confessed. "You never told any of those girls my name?"

"I didn't," she promised.

"I just need to find out more about her," Evan thought aloud. "She might be connected with my past. I'm going to get in touch with October. I can't let anything happen to this girl."