Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Twenty.

Still in awe over discovering her first new ability, Dannie stood frozen, staring at the spoon she had just moved with her mind. For the moment, she was too stunned to try it again. Her thoughts began gathering up and cluttering her head. "What else can I do? Will Erick show me how to control these powers? Should I tell Evan about this? He'll find out sooner or later anyway... Maybe I shouldn't until I talk to Erick again..." After wrestling with her inner thoughts, Dannie stepped outside on the balcony again. She couldn't stop thinking about Erick now. Her eyes tried searching for him but she didn't see him.

"Someone was here," October's voice said behind Dannie, causing her to gasp and spin around to see her there. "I can sense it... Who was it?"

"Um..." Dannie stammered, unsure of what to say. Her heart was still racing from being startled. "One of my bandmates. He came to see me. But now he's gone."

"This friend of yours climbed up the balcony?" October asked in disbelief.

"He did."

"How did he know you were here?"

"I don't know, he must've followed me."

"How could he have gotten through the gates?" October pried. "They are spelled and they only move for people Evan and I approve."

"How did Zachary get through them?" Dannie retorted.

"Touche." October was not quite sure about that. "Perhaps some spells can be tampered with if you know what you're doing. Zachary was obviously a vampire and could have found a way in. But your friend couldn't have. Unless he's not human. Is he human?"

Dannie shrugged. "Maybe."

October knew she wasn't telling her everything. Deceit was something she can spot a mile away. "Danielle. Please understand. I am not a bad guy here. The bad guys are out there waiting to kill you and Evan. Your other friend may be another vampire or demon hired to do the job for them. I need to know who he is so I can protect you from all threats."

Dannie didn't have much of a choice. Erick didn't want October knowing about his presence and she really didn't want to lose his trust. She hoped he'd understand why she did what she did next. "Alright. He's a demon. But he really was in my band. He came to help me."

October noticed Dannie was wearing something different. "That cross...did he give it to you?"

"Yes. Why?"

"He's protecting you too?"

"He didn't want you to know he was here because he worried you wouldn't welcome him," Dannie explained. "But I promise, he's on our side."

"Demons don't take sides," October reminded her. "We just follow orders."

"Yeah, I know-"

"So you also know that if the person your friend is working for happens to tell him to do something bad to you, he'd have to do it, right? Because he would."

Dannie did not believe that. "But he wouldn't! He's not working for someone who wants to hurt us!"

"One thing you need to know Danielle is never trust anyone," October said. "Except Evan."

"And you?"

"I'm his demon, so yes, of course. If this friend of yours returns, you should tell me so I can protect you in case he has orders intended to harm you or anyone else in this castle. I know you want to trust him, but you need to think about Evan and Myra's life too. Do you understand?"

The possibility of Erick hurting any of them was non-existent to Dannie. But she also remembered Ravyn telling her about Dusk and how she was with him. And the fact that Erick was Ravyn's demon. Dannie wondered if Erick had to take orders from him too. The possibility seemed a lot bigger now. "I understand."

"Very good," October said, then raised the tray of dishes off the bed and into the air with her mind. "Evan requests your presence now. He's in the south tower room. Just go on in." She left with the tray floating behind her.

Dannie walked down the hallway and up another set of stairs and finally found the south tower room. October had told her to go inside but she decided to be cautious and knock on the door. She only tapped her finger against it twice and she gasped when it creaked open on its own. She stepped inside and it closed itself behind her. She knew Evan had done that.

"Evan?" Dannie asked, trying to see where he was in the dark room. She looked toward the windows and saw his silhouette standing outside on his balcony. Silently, she approached him and stood beside him. Judging by his expression, she could tell he was in deep thought about something. She was about to talk to him but he spoke first instead.

"For months, I've been trying to figure out who I am. And why I'm like this. I didn't even know my name. I figured it was Evan because of the dream. Do you know anything about that dream?"

Of course she knew. She wanted to tell him she knew but she couldn't. Ravyn's spell still wouldn't allow it.

"Are you going to answer me?"

The words were in Dannie's mind. But she couldn't speak them.

"What do you know about me?"

Dannie's jaw felt like it was wired shut whenever he asked her questions like that. It was beyond her control.

Evan turned his head and moved right in her face and his eyes lit up with impatient anger. "Why aren't you answering??" he shouted, making her cringe. "Tell me something!"

The only words she could speak were, "I can't."

Evan's head lowered in disappointment. It broke Dannie's heart seeing him in such a lost, hopeless form. "Evan..." she said softly and moved closer to him and wrapped her arms around him. "I'm sorry..." She knew he had calmed down and wouldn't fight her off. Her eyes closed and she just embraced him, not even shivering from his cold.

Evan was quiet and just stood with her, feeling her warming his heart. Then, ever so slightly, he managed a smile. A real one. Maybe of happiness. He couldn't recall ever experiencing those emotions before. He returned the embrace, "You know..." he began to confess, "when I'm with you, I feel...different. It's almost like I'm alive...I don't remember that happening before. All I felt was cold. And anger. And confusion and rage. But now...I feel warmth and reassurance...and comfort. It's almost like deja vu...like it's familiar. I don't want to let this feeling go..."

"You don't have to," she promised him. "I'm not going anywhere, Evan."

These new feelings were scaring Evan. But at the same time, he welcomed them. His cold heart was melting and he was letting the positive emotions sink right inside. He felt that Dannie cared about him. Really cared. And he could sense he felt the same for her. Yet, he barely knew her. At least that’s what his mind kept telling him. But his heart told him there was something more. The two of them just stood there silently in the moonlight. He was listening to her breathe and she felt his cold cheek rest against her head. This was the happiest either of them felt for months. They weren’t ecstatic or gleaming with joy, but they had a pleasant, calming sense of contentment. It was something both of them needed.