Sequel: Broken Wings
Status: Old version.

Broken Soul

Thirty.

Several miles down the road, another grand house stood alone. It was dark and made of stone and had pillars at the front. Despite that it was modern and had electrical wiring, there were candles lit throughout the bottom floor. Ravyn stood silent as she watched Dusk try to heal Raine, who was laying on the kitchen table and had fallen unconscious hours ago after turning back into her human form. A chill went through Ravyn's body as she glanced over to the room behind her and saw the house's owners lying dead in a bloody pile on the floor. There were four of them. Two had been children. Slowly, she approached Dusk and said gently, "Zachary," she used his first name, "we should go soon. We've been here for hours and she shows no sign of healing."

He remained quiet at first. The silence made Ravyn nervous. But eventually, he replied, "Her human form is dead. She has to go back to them now."

"Let's go." Ravyn softly took hold of his hand to lead him out but he didn't leave with her. Before she could ask what was wrong, he spoke again.

"I need another demon." Dusk turned around and faced her and his eyes glowed red at her. "Summon yours."

"Zachary..." Ravyn really didn't want to do that.

"I said summon him now!" His voice tore right through her, chilling her to the bone. "We share a soul so he's practically mine anyway. Summon him!"

Ravyn did her best to hide her fear. She just stared back at him and calmly replied, "I can't."

"Why not??"

"Because I will not lose him over this," she answered. "If you make him kill someone, then I'll lose my demon all because of your jealous and inferior ways. I'm not bringing him into this." Of course she would never confess that her demon was really protecting the girl Dusk wanted to kill and the vampire he wanted to eliminate since he wasn't one of them. Dusk still didn't know Ravyn was Evan's maker and he didn't care either. He simply wanted them all dead.

"Jealousy has nothing to do with it," he growled at her. "The more vampires that are in this world, the more difficult it becomes to keep our existence discreet. That vampire is not one of us. He should not exist. And all who have knowledge about us should die and our secrets will die with them."

"Well if you want them dead, why don't you do it yourself?"

"You know I can't! That vampire's demon made me swear not to harm them and it stands. I can't do it directly but I can have someone do it for me. I lost my demon centuries ago and soul stealers are getting harder to come by with every passing day. There has to be another way."

Suddenly, an idea hit him. His glowing evil red eyes lit up with hope. Ravyn easily read his mind.

"A slayer?"

"I know just where to find one," he announced. "But first...let's cut off all of his protection. If he's alone, he'll be easier to kill."

* * * * *

October watched Leighton's property from a safe distance. She hid behind a few trees, hoping no one would see her. Erick was aware she was still lingering but hoped he wouldn't tell anyone. She only wanted to make sure Evan was safe. She didn't completely trust everyone in that house.

The sun was about to set and October knew that Evan and Leighton would be waking up soon, if they already hadn't. She had to get going but promised herself she'd stay until she saw Evan. The moment she could see that he was all right, she'd take off and go somewhere else. No excuses this time.

Evan's window's curtains opened and October softly smiled as she expected to see him on the other side. Her smile dropped instantly when she realized it was Amanda. That was another person she didn't trust. There was just something about her that bothered October. She never liked her, nor did she like Myra either. It seemed all girls Evan used as donors irked her for some reason. She wasn't sure why. Her cold black eyes watched as Amanda sat next to Evan on his bed and he leaned in to kiss her before they had moved out of her view. October couldn't help feeling angry at what she had seen. She knew he was only hypnotizing Amanda so he could feed from her without hurting her but she still hated witnessing it. Tears of rage flooded in her eyes and she turned away from the house and rested her back on a tree and closed her eyes as she tried to forget what she had seen. She didn't care what Erick or anyone else said. These feelings were real. She had fallen victim to them. Whether it was love, lust, envy, greed, it didn't matter anymore. She just knew she was a victim of the emotions Evan made her feel. They were nearly out of her control now.

As she tried to avoid completely breaking down, she heard a man's voice utter, "Problems of the heart, my dear?"

October open her eyes and quickly recognized the vampire in front of her. "You! I remember you! What do you want?? Go near the people in that house and I'll kill you!"

"Calm down," he said, holding his hands out to her, lowering them slowly to show her he wouldn't hurt her. "I will not harm you or them. I've promised you that before."

"What do you want then?" She was in no mood for games.

"I couldn't help but notice the sadness in your demonic eyes as you were looking at that vampire," Dusk told her. "I've never seen a demon cry before. It intrigued me."

"What of it?" she remarked.

"I've decided to help you."

"You?" she asked in disbelief. "You want to help me?"

"Yes."

"And why should I trust you?" she asked, staring into his red eyes. "Please tell me why I should trust the last person who came to my master's castle before it was burned to the ground. Enlighten me."

"I did not start that fire," he declared.

"But your demon did."

"I do not have a demon."

"Then you got a soul stealer to do it, I don't know. I just know you were involved somehow. I'm going to give you a five second head start before I rip your throat out."

"I know that look," he said, not even bothered by her warning. "You're in love."

October's hateful stare softened to an almost blank expression. "So what? Are you going to tell me that demons can't love? And that it's wrong?"

"Of course not," he replied. "I've come to make a deal with you."

October finally decided to listen. "Go on."

"That vampire won't love you because he won't believe you have the capability of those emotions," Dusk declared. "No one believes you do. But, if you were human then you might have a chance."

"Are you saying you know how to make me human?"

He nodded. "I know how to make both of you human."

Her eyes widened in astonishment. "That's impossible. No vampire has ever been turned back into a human. It's never been done. I've searched for the way myself, I've never found it."

"Just because it's never been done before, it doesn't mean it can't be," he grinned encouragingly.

"How is it done?" she inquired. "Tell me."

"He's being kept alive by a human girl, yes?"

"That's correct."

"He doesn't have a soul of his own," Dusk reminded her. "At least one that's strong enough to thrive by itself. If he has a complete soul, he'll break free of his curse and will become human."

"So...what do I have to do?"

"Steal a soul for him."

October did not like the sound of that. "But...then that would make me a soul stealer... I don't think I should do that..."

"But what if you never got caught?" Dusk asked. "Wouldn't it be worth it? To be human with him? To actually love him and have him love you?"

October thought about it. She pictured living a normal life and deciding for herself and being with Evan; holding him, kissing him, his eyes looking at her the way he used to look at Myra. It sounded too good to be true. "If this really worked, why haven't you done it? What are you waiting for?"

"The curse works differently for vampires," he explained. "I willingly gave the majority of my soul away and I was already cursed when I did so. I'm a lost cause. Plus, I wouldn't want to be human again anyway. I've become accustomed to the darkness."

"So, if I steal a soul for him, what do I do with it then?" she asked. "How does it become his?"

"You do one thing for me and I'll tell you," he promised. "Do we have a deal?"

"Not until you tell me what you want me to do," October said.

"It's simple," he grinned. "I want you to kill the leader of the Midnite Clan. He goes by the name Leighton." He could tell by October's expression that she knew who he was talking about. "Once he's dead, I'll tell you how to use the stolen soul to your advantage."

"Leighton?" She wondered if she could actually do it. "Why? He let everyone stay here at his home, he's been kind to them. I couldn't kill him..."

"I assure you, he is not kind," Dusk told her. "He is a vampire. We're all selfish, just like you demons are. Don't tell me that you actually trust him."

The truth was, she didn't. She didn't really trust anyone. "Maybe not. But I've never seen him do anything wrong toward them or anybody else."

"He's done plenty of wrong, believe me."

"Like what?"

"Rumor has it, he's trying to extend his territory and wants your vampire's land," Dusk declared. "Once he has it, he'll eliminate him. It's what we do."

October could usually tell if someone was lying to her, but she was too distracted by how she was feeling to examine his statements and expressions thoroughly with caution. Dusk continued talking. "Find out more yourself if you don't believe it. But it's only one vampire's death and then you'll have all the answers you need. Will you do it?"

Again, she thought about being with Evan. She knew it would make her more happy than anything. "Yes," she agreed. Dusk's expression turned eerily sinister but she didn't even question it. "I'll do it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update. :/