Status: Hiatus

I'll Be Me, And You'll Be You

Chapter 1

"Did you get to finish reading that chapter that Mr. Redding assigned to us last night? It was over 100 pages long! No way in hell was I going to finish that in the time I had to. Doesn't he realize that most of us have lives to live? We are, after all, high school-ers," Alice rambled on about. I was vaguely listening to her. My head was throbbing from staying up so late, writing my fathers speech for the press conference he was holding later today. He always said I had a way with words.

The only way Alice got my attention was by waving her hand in front of my face. "Earth to Andy. Hey! HEY!" My head snapped back in response and I instinctively grabbed her wrist. I let go before I could do any real damage. Waving her hand in front of my face had begun to get annoying.

"What, Alice?" I bit out, covering a yawn.

"You've been spacing out more and more since the beginning of the week. Is there something you want to talk about?" Is there anything I want to talk about? The fact that my father forces me to take college classes and do extra curricular activities that no teen should have to do at my age is just the beginning of an entire topic I would be banished for if I ever opened my mouth about it. Did any other teen have to be their parents personal assistant even though they paid professions to do that? Did any other teen have to only wonder out loud what it would be like to do this, or have that, and immediately get it without question?

No, I don't think any other teen went through what I went through on a regular basis. Was there anything I wanted to talk about? Hell fuck yeah. To Alice though? Hell fucking no.

I shook my head at her question and looked at the time. "We're going to be late if we don't leave for class now," I informed her. She jumped up, pulling me with her, and started to sprint to our classroom. There was one thing I liked about Alice, and that was that she knew when it was time to hustle and get shit done.

We made it to class just as the bell rang. The teacher raised an eyebrow at us and motioned for us to take our seats. Alice looked at me and we both rolled our eyes and sat down. The teacher started class and I mechanically began to take notes, not even paying attention to what class was about.

I'd become accustomed to riding on automatic in class. Everything was kind of just review for me since my father forced me to take college classes and study outside of school. I really didn't even need to be in school at all, but my mother wanted me to have the social experience of high school.

Ten minutes in to class, there was loud yelling outside of the door. The teacher got up and went to see who it was. Long behold, it was Saber Carson, the school's biggest bad boy asshole within a thousand miles. He entered the room with his girlfriend under his shoulder and a few of his friends behind him. I turned my attention out the window while Saber made enough noise and ruckus to wake the dead.

When the whole attention-grabbing fiasco was over the teacher began class again. He seemed to drone on and on today, probably because it was raining outside. Everyone conveyed in one way or another that they disliked the rain. Personally, I liked the rain. It cleansed the soiled Earth and renewed it, in a way, making it fresh and invigorating.

Why couldn't the rain do the same to people? Washing away their mistakes and letting them restart with a new, clean slate? The world isn't fair, I know, but what about the people who truly want to change? Don't they get a second chance? What about the people who are getting second chances that don't deserve them? Who would be the one to take charge of administering who got second chances and who didn't? All of it was a moot point, obviously. If you weren't useful or didn't have money or luck on your side, then you were cast aside until someone came and helped you back on to your feet.

Or you got yourself back up. But most people aren't strong enough to get back on their feet like they were before once they hit rock bottom. But hey, who's to say I'm right? Maybe there's a soul out there that has hit rock bottom and gained it all back. This entire mental conversation is just to keep my mind busy so I don't have to pay attention in class. I am, after all, on automatic. It wouldn't make a difference if I paid attention or not.

The bell rang loudly, causing chairs to scrape back on the floor as kids rushed out of the room. Slowly, I gathered my things and intook a deep breath. I didn't have that much longer to go to school. I almost had all of my college accomplishments that my parents required of me. Pretty soon my days would be free for me to do what I wanted.

Alice skipped over to my desk, bumping it with her hip. "Isn't it crazy how Saber and his posse can just waltz in here and not get in trouble? If we walked in to the room like that we most definitely would get detention, or worse, sent to the Discipline Office."

I shrugged my shoulders and stood up, throwing my bad over my shoulder. "I don't think we would get in trouble," I said honestly.

"And why do you think that?"

"Because my parents wouldn't allow that. In fact, they've encouraged me to misbehave a little while I still have time left. If I got in trouble they'd just talk to the school about it, get me off the hook, and I'd be free to go."

Alice looked at me with envy. "Damn, I wish my parents had that kind of power. What about me? What if I got in trouble too?"

We walked out of the classroom and on to our next class. Oddly, Alice and I had all of our classes together. I hadn't thought anything of it before now. I knew Carson and I had all of our classes together because my parents wanted me to keep an eye on him just in case he tried to do something really stupid, something his parents couldn't get him out of. What was I, some kind of watch dog? Saber did what he wanted when he wanted, no matter what anyone said. He can take care of himself when the time comes.

I thought of Alice's question for a few moments before answering. "My parents wouldn't let any of my friends get in trouble if I asked them to get them off the hook, so you probably wouldn't get in trouble either." Alice laughed and pumped her fist in the air.

"Score!" she yelled enthusiastically. I chuckled at her and tightened my bag on my back. If we didn't hussle then we'd be late for class; it was all the way across the school building.

Alice suddenly tightened her backpack too, noticing the mischievous glint in my eye. A silent challenge was issued as we stopped on que and took our starting positions. On three, we both took off, sprinting like there was no tomorrow. So what if we got in trouble for running? For the moment we were both thriving in the now.

And wasn't that what life was all about?
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter is kind of a filler. But I promise that the ones to come will be more exciting. :P Give me feedback!