Seize the Day

Part 18

It seemed that Alex had sufficiently entertained the boys while I was at my meeting. We sat in the park watching the fountain while I ate, and Adriana got used to the crew. She was another one who was never quiet, but for the first 20 minutes, she was completely speechless. Until, that is, I asked her to tell her Warped Tour story.

“Um, you’re welcome?” Brian said questioningly when she thanked them for catching her so she didn’t bash in her skull. “Don’t mention it. I just don’t like blood, that’s all!”

“Dick,” I muttered under my breath.

“I’m sorry, Princess, I didn’t hear that,” he threatened, still grinning.

“I called you a dick!” I yelled across the park. A couple of bystanders snapped their heads to look at me. I just smiled and waved at them. Everyone else in the group was in tears of laughter.

“Oh my god!” Addie squealed. “Did you really just call Synyster Gates a dick? In front of the whole world?”

I rolled my eyes. “Honey, if you even knew how irritating this man is, you’d be ok with me calling him a whole lot more.”

Michelle nodded, earning a glare from Brian. “What? She’s got a point,” she shot.

“He is a little on the bitchy side,” Johnny beamed. He knew we’d take his side on this one, so he was able to voice his opinion without an ass-kicking.

Matt chuckled and Alex giggled. She’d fully warmed up to them by now, and had even taken to calling Brian “Scarecrow.”

“Adriana, it’s true. He’s totally a whiner, and loves nothing more than to push buttons,” Zee explained. “However, he can’t take it at all when the tables are turned.”

“Fuck you!” Brian yelled. “Fuck all of you!” When we all busted into laughter again, he finally smiled. “Whatever.”

“Anyway, everyone hush,” I scolded, going into Mama Hen mode. “The kickoff party is tonight at Buster’s down the street. You guys up for it?”

“When are we not up for a party?” Johnny asked. Brian fist-bumped him in agreement.

“It’ll give you all a chance to scope out the venue for Saturday night, and well, and excuse to get trashed.” I glanced at Zack and Brian, knowing what was coming.

“SCHW-” they started in unison.

“Fuckers!” Alex said. “That’s my word, remember!”

“Pipe down, Babykins,” Brian said. Good god, he knows how to get her going!

“Haner, do not think that I won’t kick your ass right here in front of God and everybody,” Alex seethed.

“Alex!” I yelled, snapping my fingers in front of her face. “Just ignore him, swear to god, it’s easier that way!” I turned to Brian who was wearing an all-too mischievous smirk. “And you. I’ve told you, she’s way meaner and more violent than I am. I have no doubts at all that she can and will kick your ass and mop the floor with your remains any day. And if you keep it up, I’m not going to stop it when it happens?”

Zack and Mike were standing by watching this entire scene as if it was the most interesting movie they’d ever seen. “God, I’d like to see that,” Zack breathed with a chuckle.

“Hey, you hush it, Zee,” Alex chirped, grinning.

Well, at least she’s not actually pissed. I can’t handle her mad. I shook my head. “Anyway, again, we’ll go to the kickoff tonight, but Addie and I need to be home early,” I went on. “We have to be up and at ‘em at 7am to check in vendors and set up the floor.”

“I hope this year’s kickoff is better than last years’,” Addie said. “Do you remember that god-awful DJ? With his new age pan-flute music?”

“Shit, it was terrible,” I exclaimed.

Alex nodded. “We even requested songs, and he didn’t have any dance music.” She shook her head, remembering the disappointment. “I mean, what DJ doesn’t have ‘The Humpty Dance?’ Or ‘The Electric Slide?’”

“Well, this year,” I started, looking around at the guys, “I have a feeling it’s going to be a way better party.” I winked at Johnny, who was hopping back and forth from one foot to the other in anticipation.

After hanging out in the downtown park a little longer, we headed back to the hotel to get changed and ready for the party. Zee and Johnny drove Alex back to her Starbucks so she could get her car and get to her apartment to do the same, while Matt and I took Addie to her place. We met back up at the bar a little later. It was nice hanging out with the Kentucky Scarefest crew again. Miracle upon miracles, the DJ was indeed quite a lot better than the one from previous years. He even had a full karaoke setup, which, of course, was taken advantage of by the dear, dear (and totally not sober) boys of Avenged Sevenfold.

Since we hadn’t announced that they were going to be attending the party, there wasn’t a huge crowd of fans present, but once people noticed they were there, whispers started. There was even a surge of people who showed up late, no doubt due to phone calls or texts from friends already inside. Several autographs were signed, and when the DJ would announce each of them for their turn at the mic, the small crowd that had gathered would erupt into cheers. Zee decided to go with the karaoke staple “I Will Survive,” and nailed it. That man’s voice can reach octaves I can’t, and I was a mezzo-soprano! Johnny went a little goofy and dragged Addie and Alex on stage with him to help him sing “Love Shack,” and Brian did “I’m Too Sexy,” garnering quite a few catcalls and whistles. Michelle just blew him a kiss and smiled at him. They talked me into singing as well, but I only agreed to do it if I went last, so I could drink more first. Matt was next up, and absolutely killed “Creep” by Radiohead. Not that I didn’t think he’d out-do anyone who sang any song, but still, I thought as he finished.

After a couple of other people sang their songs, it was my turn. I had taken quite some time to pick a song, but in the end, Alex helped me choose -- Save Ferris’ version of “Come On Eileen.” It was one of our favorite songs, and I was actually surprised that the DJ’s catalog contained this version. I also knew it was a song that I would be able to do relatively flawlessly, based on how often Alex and I belted it out in the car. I tossed another shot back and headed to the stage, amongst cheers from my friends, new and old. I was calmed and unnerved at the same time by the presence of Matt and the guys. He’s your boyfriend, he’s not going to care that you sound like a drowning cat, I told myself. But he’s also a professional musician, a singer for real, and he’s going to mock you silly. The internal arguing had to go, as the music started up. I took a deep breath and just went with it, dancing and bobbing around and having a ball. As I finished the song, I looked out at my crew, since I’d been avoiding eye contact since I stepped up. Everyone, save for Alex, was gaping at me, jaws on the floor. Even the DJ looked shocked. Shit. I sucked bad, didn’t I? I was mentally freaking out.

I sauntered back over to the corner where everyone was, trying to stay calm. That didn’t last long.

“What the fuck?” Brian yelled over the music that had been turned back up. “You never told us you could sing like that!”

“Seriously, babe, why didn’t you say anything?” Matt breathed, eyes still wide.

“Wait, what?” I was horribly confused. They thought I was good?

“I mean, you told me you used to sing, but I never thought anything about it. No offense, but a lot of people think they can sing,” Matt said. “But that was amazing.” He pulled me to him. I could feel my face on fire.

Alex just grinned smugly. “Don’t act so surprised, assholes,” she said. “My sister is amazing, no matter what she’s doing.” She shot me a proud smile.

“You can say that again,” Matt whispered into the top of my head.

I giggled. “Thanks, sis.” I straightened myself up, still holding one arm around Matt’s waist. “Seriously though, how’d I do?”

Michelle and Gena both balked at me. “Really?” Michelle asked. “You just had M. Shadows and Synyster Gates fawning, telling you how amazing your voice is, and you’re going to ask a stupid question like that?” She came over to me. “Honey, you’ve got a set of fucking pipes on you.”

“Really, V,” Zack added. “I’ve heard that version of the song several times, and I’m pretty sure you just over did her. Which is not easy to do.”

“Ok, moving on. Thanks everyone, but let’s let it go, shall we?” I was suddenly seriously uncomfortable with the attention. Everyone in the building kept coming up to me and telling me how great it was. I was fully intending on ignoring any more comments and enjoying the rest of my evening, until I heard a very familiar voice behind me.

“Hey, I didn’t know you could sing like that,” he said. I recognized the voice immediately and rolled my eyes before I turned around to face him. The pissed off look on Alex’s face confirmed who was standing behind me. She hated him.

“Hi, Ben,” I said softly. Matt protectively wrapped his arms around my waist. “How’s it going?”

“Good, good. I figured you’d be here tonight,” was all he said back.

“Yeah, it is Scarefest. I do kind of work for them,” I sighed. I really don’t want to have this conversation right now. “Oh, Ben, this is my boyfriend Matt.” I gestured to the man firmly attached to my back. “Matt, um, this is Ben. My, uh, ex-husband.”

Matt unclamped one hand from around me and offered it politely. “Nice to meet you, man,” he said, even though I could tell it was far from true.

“You too,” Ben brushed him off, and looked back to me. “But yeah, I had no idea you had a voice like that.”

“No one did,” I answered. “I haven’t sung in public since church as a little kid.”

He was quiet for an awkward moment. “Well, I guess it’s true then,” he said, eyes fixated on Matt’s hands locked at my belt-line.

“What’s that?” I asked. I knew what he was talking about, I just wanted to hear him say it.

“That you moved to California and are some kind of rockstar groupie now,” he said, bitterness starting to creep into his tone. I felt Matt tense, as if getting ready to pounce.

I rubbed his arm gently, trying to soothe him. “Babe, why don’t you go get us another couple beers, I’m going to talk to Ben for a minute, ok?”

He almost growled, chest rumbling with a noise that I felt, but didn’t hear. “Fine,” he huffed finally. “I’ll be right there.” He pointed at the bar, then took my face in his hands and kissed me, hard, marking his territory.

“I got this,” I whispered to him, adding another peck on his cheek.

He wandered off, taking Zack with him. I thought I heard him muttering something about “smashing,” but I wasn’t sure.

“Let’s go outside,” I told my ex. I looked at Alex and the rest of the group. She was still boring a hole through Ben’s skull. “I got this,” I repeated to her. Brian looked at me anxiously. “Five minutes, I swear. You can even come check on us. We’ll be just outside.”

Once we got outside, I nearly lost it. “You have something to say? Go for it,” I hissed. “A groupie? Is that what you think?”

“Well, I know you were a fan of them. For all we know here, you went out there to fucking stalk them or something. And now you’ve got your meathooks into them, just like you did with me and my family. Probably making him pay your bills too, aren’t you?”

It took every ounce of energy I had to keep myself from kicking him square in the balls. “Look fucker, you’re just jealous. You had me, but you gave it up. You wanted me back, but I was already sick of your bullshit.” I stepped toward him. “For your information, I went to visit Sara in LA, met the guys at a club, when Matt approached me, and we hit it off. Well. Not like you and I. There’s actually a connection there.” I knew those words stung, but I didn’t care anymore. “And if it’s any of your business, which it’s actually not, I have a great job as an admin for a talent management company, and live in a great house of my own.” I could see that there were people starting to watch us, including Brian, Michelle, and Alex from near the door. “You didn’t want me when I was yours, and now I’ve moved on. I’ve got a great bunch of friends, and an amazing boyfriend. Yeah, he happens to be famous or whatever. So fucking what? Stop being childish and jealous, and get the fuck over yourself.”

I turned on my heel to walk away, but Ben caught my wrist. I saw Brian and Zack, who’d recently joined them as well for a cigarette, start toward us, but I shook my head no. I turned back to Ben. “Look, I’m sorry for all of that. You’re right. I’m jealous. He’s exactly the kind of guy I expected you to leave me for every day we were together,” he told me.

“Be that as it may, I never once thought about it. You were my husband, and that meant something to me. More than it did to you,” I said. “Now let me go, I have a party to get back to.” I slung his hand off my wrist and walked away. Ben stormed off to the parking lot.

“Who the fuck does that guy think he is, starting drama with my Princess?” Brian asked me, pulling me into a huge hug.

“A fucking douchenozzle, that’s who,” Alex spat. “I hate that guy. I should have kicked him in the ‘nads when I had the chance.”

Just then, Matt, Johnny, Mike, Gena, and Addie came out of the bar too. Matt walked straight over to me and wrapped me up in another of his bear hugs, while Brian and Alex explained what had just happened.

“I’m sorry, baby,” I whispered.

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for. He was just trying to start shit.” He kissed my forehead.

“I should have known he’d pull something like this,” I sighed. “You know that I’m not with you because you have money, right?” I asked him.

He sucked in a breath. “What? That’s never once crossed my mind. I came up to you the first time we met. You weren’t out just trying to hook up with someone famous.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. “I know that, I just needed to make sure you did. Goddamnit, even now, he has a way of making me feel like I’m nothing but a piece of shit.” I willed myself not to cry, even though it’s the only thing I wanted to do.

“Hey, stop that,” he said. “You’re not a piece of shit. Far from it. You’re beautiful, sweet, caring, amazing, and magnificent.” He pulled my chin up to look at him. I caught his gorgeous hazel eyes, and he flashed me that million dollar dimpled smile. I giggled a little.

“What?” he asked softly.

“You and your dimple-dazzle,” I chirped. “That look is hypnotizing!” I leaned up a bit and kissed him. “Thank you for not freaking out. I’m sorry that all had to happen, but let’s go back inside, ok?”

“Are you sure? We can just go back to the hotel if you want.” His arms snaked back to my waist as mine went around his neck.

“Nah, after that, I’m gonna need another drink or 6,” I said, trying to laugh.

“Ok, whatever you want, baby.” He kissed me again before taking my hand and walking back toward the group.

“You ok, doll?” Alex asked, nearly shoving Matt out of the way to hug me.

“Yeah, I’m good. I just can’t believe he did that. Did you hear what he said?” I asked her, hoping she had, because I didn’t want to repeat any of it.

“Every fucking word.” I could tell she was trying hard, for my sake, to keep her temper in check. “Want me to follow him home and rip his innards out?” she asked, with a huge grin.

“Nah, he’s not worth getting blood on your new shoes,” I said winking, “or on his mother’s front steps. Alex let out a guffaw of laughter, knowing that the comment about his mother was totally true. “Let’s go get hammered, shall we?” I asked the whole group.

We continued partying for a while, probably longer than I should have stayed out. However, I knew that if I’d tried to have gone to bed immediately after Ben’s scene, I’d have never slept. Several shots later, we decided to go for another round of karaoke. All ten of us jumped on stage to sing “Afternoon Delight”, harmonies and all. By the end of the song, Zack was even strutting back and forth across the stage like they do in the video for the song, and Michelle and I were making explosion motions with our hands, mocking the fireworks.

Finally, it was time to head off to bed, since it was nearly 2am, and I had to be ready to run at 7am. Eh, that’s why they created Rockstar drinks, isn’t it? I told myself as I yawned.

“You ready to go, babe?” Matt asked me, seeing the yawn. I nodded through it.

“Yeah, we need to get a little sleep,” Addie said.

“I know your blood is lime green from all the Monster you drink, but you’re right. Let’s get outta here,” I replied.

We called Alex a cab, since Adriana was staying in the same hotel we were. We’d learned the hard way the previous year that it made life easier to be at the convention center by 7am, if you were sleeping in the same building.

I stumbled into our room, kicked off my shoes, shrugged out of my jeans, and belly-flopped onto the bed. Matt chuckled behind me, but mimicked my actions exactly.

“I’m sorry again you had to meet my asshat, fucktard of an ex like that,” I said.

He pulled me against his chest, not letting go for dear life. His breath was hot on the top of my head, and I could feel his heartbeat thumping against my cheek. “I said it earlier, you have nothing to apologize for. It’s his town too, we were bound to run into him. I’m just glad I didn’t actually hear him say any of the shit he did, or I’d have shoved my foot so fucking far up his ass he’d choke on the shoelaces.”

“There’s my Hulkster,” I giggled. I felt my eyes starting to droop.

“Go to sleep baby, we’ve got a long couple of days ahead of us.” He pulled my chin up so that his eyes met mine. “I’m glad I found you,” he whispered. “And I’m glad I came here with you.”

I sighed happily, and drifted off to sleep.

VIDEO - “Come On Eileen,” Save Ferris
VIDEO - “Afternoon Delight,” Starland Vocal Band
♠ ♠ ♠
Be sure to check out the YouTube links for the karaoke songs... Especially the cheese-o-riffic video for Afternoon Delight! ;)

I have several chapters ahead of this planned out already... I just need to GET THERE! Wishing I had more time to write!