Seize the Day

Part 2

I followed Matt, while Brian followed me. Herded me was probably a better term, as he was nearly pushing me the whole way. We passed Sara on the way to the corner. “Hanging with these guys tonight, I guess. Call me when you get off!” She just nodded, winked, and continued on her mission.

“Guys, this is my new friend Mmmvuhvenny,” Matt announced as we neared the table. He made it sound like he had a mouth full of peanut butter, still making fun of my initial star-shock.

“Ha ha ha! Such a comedian.” I turned my head to see Brian behind me. “’Shads’ could give your dad a run for his money, I believe.” I turned back to the rest of the Avenged Sevenfold crew sitting at the table, already laughing. “I’m Vivienne. These two have kidnapped me, and promised me fun,” I said cocking a thumb to each of the men standing on either side of me.

“Again, Matt?” Johnny had a gleeful look on his face. “You always get to do the kidnapping. When do I get to pick one?”

“Christ, shut up, before I knock your teeth in,” Matt said smiling, neither his playful tone nor his face matching the threat. Johnny hung his head, almost like a scolded puppy.

They do pick on Johnny a lot, don’t they? I asked myself.

“As I’m sure you know, we have here Zacky v. and Johnny Christ.” Matt set the tray of drinks in the center of the table, and sat in the empty chair between the two. Zack simply looked at me, gave me a slightly shy smile, and a half wave. “And these crazy motherfuckers are the Berrys. Just ignore them, we all do.”

Johnny looked up with a childish grin. “Hi! I have to piss like a fucking racehorse!” He pushed back from the table and hurried away.

“Um, that was too much information.” I was the only one still standing, as Brian had taken a seat between Jason and Matt Berry.

The other Matt, the one who I’d barely taken my eyes off of for nearly 30 minutes now, kicked out what was Johnny’s chair, motioning for me to sit. “Here, have a seat,” he grinned. Those dimples were going to be the death of me if I had to look at them much more often. As I sat in the chair, he leaned forward to the table, keeping his left arm curled around the back of the chair, and by default curled around my shoulders, as he reached for one of the drinks he’d placed on the table.

God, I’m a walking cliché, I thought as I swore I could feel electricity where his arm was touching the skin left exposed by my thin-strap tank top.

“So, Mmmvuhvenny told me she wanted to check out the most hardcore rock-n-roll party we can find tonight.” He shot me a sideways glance and a huge smile as he butchered my name once more. I was pretty sure that wouldn’t be let go all night.

“Uh…I… Um…Wait… I did… I DID NOT say that!” I could barely manage to get the words out.

“Sure you did! Gates, you heard it too, didn’t you?” Clearly, I’d gotten myself in trouble hanging out with this crew.

“Yup! Sure did. Just like that. She’s a party animal, let me tell you. I already know.” Brian was enjoying this far too much, almost as much as Matt. “There are a couple of parties going on tonight. Which one are we dragging her to?”

Now it was Zack’s turn to get in on the fun. “Shit, let’s hit ‘em all. I’m in a partying mood tonight, anyway!”

“HEEEELLLLL YEEEEEAHHHHHHH!” Uh-oh. Johnny was back. If anyone was in a partying mood, it was Johnny. He seemed to be four and a half sheets to the wind already. “Damn, dude. She took my chair.”

“Shut up, man. You can stand up,” Matt shot, still looking far too happy to be serious. “We’ll be leaving soon anyway.”

“So that’s that. Drink up, fuckers!” Brian shouted. Everyone reached for a drink and chugged before I could pick my glass up off the table. “Yeah, you too, Princess.” His smile was equal parts pure charisma and pure mischief.

“To my new so-called-friends, and the trouble I seem to have gotten myself into,” I toasted myself, since everyone had finished their beverages. As I tipped my head back to slug back what was left of Jack, I felt Matt’s arm was still around me. I shivered so unexpectedly I nearly choked.

“Whoa, there. You ok?” Matt asked, honestly worried.

“Yeah, fine. Swallowed wrong. I hate it when that happens. I should have just spit.”

Brian caught my double-entendre and began giggling like a schoolgirl. I just smiled at him, still trying to catch my breath.

“That’s enough. Let’s pay and get the hell out of here.” Matt stood up, and reached out his hand to help me from my chair.

As Zack was cashing out the bar tab with Luke, and the other guys went to round up some transportation for the night, I came to a realization. I clapped my hands over my face. “Shit!” I yelled into my palms.

“What? What’s wrong?” Apparently, my condition was of a great importance to Matt, as his tone was again genuinely uneasy.

“I just realized what exactly I’m doing, who I’m hanging out with tonight, how completely unbelievable it is, and that Alex is going to strangle me,” I sighed.

Matt laughed. I got lost in the dimples again. He really is trying to kill me with those things, isn’t he? We stopped in the lobby of the restaurant, waiting for Zack.

“Unbelievable or not, it’s the God’s honest truth. And who’s Alex, and why is he strangling you?” he said, flexing his arms. He punched his own palm, as if to say, “Who am I gonna have to beat down?”

“Nope. I’m fairly certain I’m still on the plane on my way from Cincinnati to LA. I’ve fallen into a terribly deep slumber, and that this is all a dream. And she is my kid sister. A kid sister who really and truly will strangle me.” The words were only slightly untrue. She’d wait until after I’d given her all the details of my visit with the Avenged Sevenfold, and then she’d strangle me. Or push me off a building. Perhaps even run over me with her car. At any rate, she’d kill me because she wasn’t here.

“Kid sister, huh? But again, why is she strangling you?”

“She’s, um, a fan of yours. A big fan, actually. She’ll kill me because I’ve gotten to meet you and she hasn’t. Well, that and the fact that I just referred to her as my ‘kid sister.’ She hates that.” I sighed. I wished there was a way she could be here with me.

I drew another chuckle from Matt. “Not a kid, then?”

“No, she just turned 21, but she’s the youngest of the family. She’ll always be a kid to me,” I mused.

“Man, that bartender was nice, but he’s slow,” sighed Zack as he finally caught up with us. “Sara said bye, and she’ll call you later tonight to make sure you survived. You ready for this, V?”

“No, but I guess I’m past that now, Z,” I said, emphasizing the initial. Internally, I giggled that he was already using the nickname I’d gone by pretty much my entire life. “I’m just glad I changed at Sara’s after I got off the plane. I’d not be nearly so easy to talk to if I was still wearing my sweats from the plane, let alone ‘official rockstar business party’ ready,” I said. I had thrown on some extra black eyeliner and changed into my favorite pair of destroyed jeans with black fishnets underneath. Those, combined with my combat boots, and the punk-yet-lacy tank top actually made for a decent rock club outfit.

“I doubt that,” I thought I heard Matt mutter.

“Did you say something?” I asked, looking for clarification.

“I said ‘good, let’s go’,” he said too quickly.

“Oooooooooaughhh… It’s your FUCKIN’ nightmare… HA HA HA HA!”

“Crap, my phone. Hold up just a second.” I fished my iPhone out of my pocket. Alex calling, the Caller ID read. Uh-oh. How do I tell her this? It was then that I noticed the four guys looking at me oddly. “Oh. Yeah. The ringtone. I love that song.” I shrugged, smiled at each of them individually, and then pressed the “CALL” button.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hello?”

“Did you make it ok? I hadn’t heard anything, so I wanted to make sure.”

“Yeah, I’m here. Sara ended up having to work late so I… Hey, hang on just a second, ok?” I pressed the mute button on the face of the phone.

“Hey, I don’t suppose I could ask a favor of you, could I? You know, as repayment for kidnapping me?” I asked.

“It’s the strangler, isn’t it?” Matt asked with a smile.

“The who?” Brian asked sharply.

“Alex. My sister. I was telling Matt that she’ll strangle me when I tell her I met you guys. But if you tell her……..” I trailed off.

Zack’s face suddenly split with a wide grin. “Does she by any chance have the same phone you have?”

“Yeah, we’re on the same plan. We upgraded together right before I left. Why?” I wasn’t quite following.

“That’s an iPhone 4, correct? With video calling?” Brian caught what Zack meant, and grinned his mischievous little smile.

“Ahhh, yes, it is.” I finally caught up to them. “Would you mind terribly to say hi to her? I know this is a stupid fan thing to ask.”

“Of course we will,” Matt answered.

“Is she hot as you are?” Johnny asked from behind Brian. He was so small, Brian hid him completely. I’d nearly forgotten he was there.

“Christ, I’m pretty sure I told you to keep your mouth shut,” Matt snapped. He was a little more serious this time than the last. “We love meeting our fans. Besides like you said, we owe you for the whole kidnapping thing.”

“Ok, great. By the way, no offense to anyone else, but Zack – You’re her favorite.” I caught his proud smirk from the corner of my eye as I unmuted the phone. “Hey, you still there?”

“Of course I’m still here, what the hell are you doing?”

I turned on the video calling function. “Can you see me ok?” Her image appeared on the small screen in my hand as she answered the video call.

“Yeah, but what’s up? Seriously, dude, what is going on?” as she noticed the impish look on my face.

“I have a little surprise for you. So, I told you Sara was working late, right? I went to her bar, and you’ll never believe who I ran into while I was in there!”

“Who? Was it someone famous?? Tellllll meeeeeeee!” she shrieked.

Just then, I spun the phone around to point it at the group of four guys standing next to me on the sidewalk.

“HI ALEX!” they all chimed in unison. I passed the phone off to Matt, as he was still standing closest to me.

“Hey, kiddo. We just wanted to say hi,” he said into the phone.

I really hope those dimples come through as well in video form as in person, I couldn’t help thinking. And that voice. I actually shuddered just thinking about it.

Matt passed the phone to Brian. “Hola, chica. We’re kidnapping your sister, and holding her for ransom. Nah, not really. I mean we are kidnapping her, but we’re a famous rock band. We don’t need ransom money! HA!”

“That’s enough, Mr. Gates,” I hissed. I made sure the phone got back to Johnny, since he was still hidden behind Brian.

“She is as hot as you are!” the smallest member (with the biggest voice) of the band piped up.

Christ!” Matt growled, as I blushed. I don’t think anyone noticed.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Teeth kicked in and all that,” he muttered. “Hi Alex. Thanks for being a fan,” he chimed into the phone, holding his face way closer to the tiny camera lens than was necessary. He handed the phone off to Zacky.

“Hey Alex,” he began. “We really wish you could be here with us. We’re about to go hang out for the evening with your sister here. That is, if that would be ok with you, of course.” He winked directly into the camera lens, drawing even more attention to his dazzling crystal green eyes. As if he’d had to.

He turned the phone around and handed it back to me. I immediately started giggling once I was looking at the screen again. Her jaw was hanging to the floor, her eyes as big as dinner plates. I realized I hadn’t heard her so much as peep since she’d seen Matt’s face on her screen. I crowded in with the guys, and turned my back to them, so we were all in the shot at once.

“You ok, over there, kiddo?” Matt asked into the phone, chuckling again.

“Yeah, are you, sis?” I echoed.

Uh, Viv, please tell me that actually really did just happen. Are you really standing on the street corner with Avenged Sevenfold?

“Yes, I am. But when you say it like that, it sounds like we’re turning tricks or something! So. That’s what I’ve been up to tonight! What are you doing?” I was still laughing, watching her try to compose herself.

“Wow. That’s incredible…” was all she could manage.

“Guys, limo’s here,” Brian called from behind me. “Let’s go!”

“Ok, Al, I’ve gotta go, but I will definitely, definitely call you later.” Matt was pulling me into the limo.

A LIMO?! And you better call! I’ll be waiting up! Ok, probably not, but call me!

“Say goodbye, guys.” I turned the phone around again to catch each of their faces one more time.

“Bye Alex!” the four of them shouted, waving like fools.

Bye guys. Take care of my sister! Be careful!

“Never!” Brian shouted, laughing maniacally like a mad scientist.

“Bye, sis,” I said, hanging up the phone. “Thanks guys. I’m pretty sure she can die a happy, happy girl now.”

“Glad we could oblige,” Matt said. It was only then that I’d realized he and I were sitting probably closer than we needed to be, considering seats in the huge stretch limo. Our thighs were touching, but there was nearly enough space for another human on either side of us. He caught my eyes, and comprehension washed over his face. I knew he knew what I was thinking, but neither of us bothered to move an inch.

“So,” he said, patting my thigh, getting dangerously close to the exposed skin at the holes in the knee. “First things first. People are gonna talk. But you know what? Let ‘em. Fuck ‘em! We’re out to party, and party we will.”

I laughed at his sudden enthusiasm. “I have a question, though, if you all don’t mind.” I had the attention of each of them, even if just momentarily. “Obviously, I don’t know you guys, but as we’ve already established I’m a fan. And my sister is the epitomical fangirl. I can’t imagine not being able to have a private life, but that’s what you live every day. But my question is this: where are the girls?” I felt Matt stiffen slightly next to me.

Brian was the first to answer, and it was the first time I’d heard him serious all evening. “The girls aren’t much for partying every night. They’re only part of this lifestyle by proxy. They’ll make their appearances, but Michelle is as much a homebody as I’ve ever known. Plus, she and Lacey have real, actual day jobs, so they can’t be out traipsing around all night every night.”

I giggled at his use of words like “proxy,” “homebody” and “traipsing.” “Ok, fair enough,” I replied.

“Gena’s usually out with us, she just wasn’t up for it tonight,” Zack answered. I saw him, Johnny, and Brian exchange tense glances, and each of them threw one at Matt, who was still sitting stiffly next to me, silent.

“Ok, I apparently have stepped on a toe that I had not intended. Sorry, guys.” I really was sorry. I hadn’t meant to offend anyone with my question. It was honest curiosity.

Matt finally spoke, somberly. “No, it’s ok. You didn’t mean anything by it. You didn’t know.” It was only then that I realized he was fiddling with his hands. Or more specifically, his right hand was fiddling with his left, where his wedding ring was not displayed.

Oh, shit. I really did go too far, didn’t I?

I put my hand on his knee, returning his earlier gesture as he spoke. He relaxed just a tiny bit. “I’m sure you know about Valary. What you probably don’t know is that we split up about eight months ago. We’ve known each other since grade school, but something just changed. We woke up one morning and we were both different. We’re still on good terms, because of her involvement with the band, and on the basis of her, shall we say, close relationship with Mrs. Synyster Gates. But I am currently unattached. Should be finalized within the month.”

“Oh, god. I’m so sorry. I had no idea.” Way to go, V. Open mouth, insert foot, as usual, I scolded myself.

“No, you didn’t know, of course. It’s fine. I’m slowly but surely starting to come to terms with it all.” His eyes had lost their twinkle, and he looked miles away.

Soon, the limo stopped. All four of them took a couple moments to properly accessorize for a major rockstar evening. Brian put on his trademark leather fedora and instantly became Synyster Gates. Matt tied a bandanna around his head, put on his trucker cap, and of course the aviators, and suddenly, M. Shadows was sitting next to me.

“Aw, look! You wear your sunglasses at night,” I mused in a sing-song voice. I got a little smirk with that comment, but Matt still wasn’t quite there.

“Awesome! Let’s go get trashed!” Johnny yelled.

“Johnny, that’s the smartest thing I’ve heard you say all night,” Matt said. He smiled, but it wasn’t the same smile I’d already grown accustomed to.

“Christ is right. Let’s get schwasted,” I giggled, using Alex’s favorite drunken terminology.

“Schwasted?” Zack asked, cocking an eyebrow and adjusting the precisely unbuttoned front of his black and purple plaid shirt.

“Schwasted. It’s a step over and above drunk, trashed or wasted,” I said grinning.

At last, Matt smiled a real smile, stunning me all over again. “I like it. Let’s get schwasted.” He grabbed my hand and towed me out of the limo and onto the sidewalk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part two!! Let me know what you think. :)