Seize the Day

Part 23

Four weeks later, I was knee-deep in planning a surprise birthday party for Zack.  Everyone told me that it would be impossible.  I just told them in return that none of them could do it because they all have big mouths.  No one knew what I was planning, except for a very few minor details I had to let Matt in on to ask for his help.

I reserved a VIP room at one of the newest, hottest clubs in Vegas, booked all the flights for everyone, and I even made sure that the boys’ manager Larry had an idea what was going on, so he didn’t schedule anything and ruin my plans.  The people at the club of course knew who my boys were, and were more than thrilled to have Avenged Sevenfold as one of their first VIP reservations.  The biggest problem I was having was figuring out how to get everyon to Las Vegas.  Luckily, my boyfriend is sorta the ringleader of this gang, so that should work to my advantage, I thought while poring over travel itineraries and nightclub brochures.

“Baby, what are you plotting over there?” Matt asked from the couch, not bothering to look away from the TV screen.  He was, of course, mid-way through a campaign in Black Ops.

“Party plans,” I said nonchalantly.  “And no, you still can’t know.  You fools can’t keep a secret from each other for shit!”  He threw me a pouty look.  “Nope, not happening.  Oh!” I exclaimed, more to myself than anything.  “I’ve got an idea!”

I hadn’t heard Matt get up from the sofa, nor cross the room to stand behind me.  He blew lightly across the back of my neck, causing me to jump, shiver, and hum out a soft moan.  

“Asshole!” I yelled, rubbing the back of my neck.

He chuckled.  “But you love me.”

“Yes, I do, but don’t do that shit to me!”  I stood and threw my arms around his neck.

“Not even a hint?” he pleaded.

“You never give up, do you?” I sighed.

“Nope, not happening,” he mocked me.  “But I figured you’d have figured that out by now.”

I sighed deeply.  “Fine.  But I swear to everything, if you so much as spill a word to anyone I’ll bring Alex out here to shank you for me.”

He raised his hands in defeat.  “Got it.  Lips are zipped.”  He pretended to run a zipper across his lips, turned his fingers as if with a key, then tossed the imaginary key over his shoulder.  

I couldn’t help but giggle.  “Ok, here’s what I’ve got.  You guys have heard about that new rock club that just opened in Vegas, right?  Sounds like kind of a big deal.  Well, I may have booked the VIP room just for this occasion.”  Matt looked at me shocked, but didn’t say anything.  “What?  Will he not want to go to Vegas?  Shit.”  I stared at the sheaf of papers on the table, trying to wrack my brain to come up with something else.

“No, no, no!” he said.  “He’ll fucking love that!  We were all just talking about it like 3 days ago, how cool it sounded.  We were going to be planning a trip out soon anyway to check it out.”  He hugged me.  “See?  I knew you’d fit right in!”

“Ok, good, you had me worried for a second that someone had said they’d never be caught dead in there or something,” I said.  I pecked a kiss on his nose.  “Mattycakes, I promise you though, if you mention anything to anyone, Zack or not, I will maim you.”

“Got it.  Not saying anything.”  He looked away thoughtfully for a second.  “How are we surprising Zack in Vegas, when we’re in Huntington Beach?”

“Yeah, that’s where I’m stuck too.  I mean, I guess we could just tell him we’re all going to Vegas, just not what’s going on, but that’s no fun.”  I sighed.  “Uh, roofie him and drag him onto the plane?”

Matt chuckled.  “Don’t think that’s the best idea.  I’ll see what I can come up with.”  He mimicked my earlier show of affection and kissed the tip of my nose.  “See?  You need me for this.  You thought you could do it alone.”

“No, I thought I needed to do it alone.  It’s like you guys read each other’s minds sometimes.  I don’t want him knowing what’s going on.”  I leaned up for a kiss.  “But you’re right.  Your help is appreciated.”

Turns out, Matt talked to Larry, and had him fake some “appearance” scheduled the weekend around Zack’s birthday.  That gave us all an excuse to get out to Vegas.  The rest I could pull off fairly easily.  I had Matt help me put together the guest list, inviting tons of their old friends, new friends, other bands, and just a slew of people.  Of course, I made sure to mention that it was a surprise, and that no one was to spill a word.

The day before we were supposed to leave, everyone had gathered at my house again.  We were all hanging around in my backyard, fire pit going, drinking a couple beers.  It was still a little weird not having Gena around, but we were adjusting, Zack included.  I think he was happier now than he was when they were together.

“You know, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to being able to sit outside in a hoodie in December,” I said.  “I’m used to Ohio and Kentucky winters that stay below freezing from October through March!”  Everyone laughed at me.  “No, I’m serious.  In Ohio, it wasn’t abnormal to have to make your Halloween costume fit over a snowsuit.  In Kentucky it’s more ice than snow, but still.  I had to skip an Avenged concert once due to a blizzard the last week of March!”

“Whoa, really?” Brian asked.

“Yeah.  It took me 90 minutes to drive about 30 miles up the interstate, and finally I had to turn around and go home.”  I laughed.  “I was so pissed that I missed a chance to see the amazing Avenged Sevenfold.  I guess that’s a little pointless now, isn’t it?”  Everyone else laughed too.

“So, other than this stupid radio appearance or whatever the hell it is, you got anything planned for the big day, Vengeance?” Brian asked suddenly.

“Nah, I guess we do this thing, then maybe go out since we’ll already be in Vegas,” Zack replied.  “I just wish this thing could have waited.  I actually wanted to go to LV anyway, but not for work.”

“We’ll figure something out, dude,” Matt said, matching his tone to Zack’s.

“It’s ok, Zackykins,” I cooed.  “We’ll make sure you have a great birthday, even if you do have to do stupid work crap.”

The next day as we geared up to fly to Las Vegas, I asked Matt if he thought Zack had caught on to anything.

“Nah, I don’t think so,” he said.  “I think we covered it up pretty well.”

“Me too, just double checking,” I said.  “I’m getting anxious about this now.  What if he hates it?  What if he decides he doesn’t want to go?”

“Baby, chill,” Matt said, stroking my arm.  “It’ll be fine, I promise.”

“I know, I’m just an antsy person,” I sighed.  “I can’t help it.  You’re lucky I’ve flown enough in the last 8 weeks that I’ve gotten pretty close to over that one!”

“Yeah, I guess so,” he chuckled.  “So what’s the plan, anyway?”

“Well, we have the VIP room starting at 7pm, everyone who’s coming is supposed to show up about 8pm, I figured if we can stall Zack until 8:30 or 9, that would be good.”  I caught the look he was giving me.  “Yes, I’ve told you guys before, I do actually know what I’m doing!”

He laughed and grabbed my bag off my shoulder.  “Let’s go, everyone’s probably here waiting.”  

I, of course, had only given Matt a key to my house.  There was no way in hell I was as stupid as he was to give keys to the other guys.  Everyone was meeting at my house, since it was actually closer to the airport, and was actually already there, standing in my driveway, various luggage surrounding them.  

“We ready to party?” I squealed as I came out the door.  

Michelle ran over to me and high-fived me, trilling, “Yeeeeaaahhhh!” the whole way.  Brian and Matt just looked at each other and shook their heads.  Zack threw in a smile, but I knew he was still bummed about having this radio appearance “scheduled” so close to his birthday.  

The second we landed in Vegas, Michelle was pointing here and there, telling me places I needed to see, stores we had to go shopping in.  This was, of course, my first trip to Sin City, so I was completely in awe.  The boys' fake radio interview was to be at 8pm, on an XM Radio station.  The driver, though, knew to drag a bit, and make them "miss" their appearance.  Matt was then going to suggest heading to a club, and voilà!  Surprise birthday party.

Matt, Brian, Johhny, a very depressed-looking Zack, and Arin, the kid who was the current tour drummer, loaded up and headed to the hotel, while I took Michelle to distract her in a couple shops.  It was all I could do to look at Zack the way he was pouting, and be able to contain myself from telling him everything to cheer him up.

While we were perusing racks of cute party dresses, I told Michelle what was going on.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she shouted.  

"Honey, you know I love you, but you'd have told Gates.  And he'd have told Zeeves," I said.  "Cant be much of a surprise that way."

"Fine," she sighed.  "I guess you're right.  But who all is coming?"

I rattled off about 15 names, including the Madden twins, most of Stonesour, Cam Rackham, and her own sister.

"Wow, nice guest list!"  She high-fived me.  "Val's coming?"

I nodded.  "I've actually spoken to her on several occasions, and we're totally cool.  She's known Zack and the other guys for a long time, it's only right that she helps celebrate," I told her.  "Anyway, hurry up and get what you're getting if you're buying anything.  You're my setup crew!"

She decided on a short, black sequined dress, paid, and we left for the hotel to get ready, knowing that Matt had already gotten the boys dressed and out the door.

An hour and a half and 8 rolls of black and lime green crepe paper streamers later, the VIP room had been turned into a spot perfect for an Avenged Sevenfold party.  Michelle went up to the bar to get us a couple of drinks while we waited on the boys to arrive.  The manager of the club made sure to come per and schmooze us a bit, repeating for about the tenth time to let him know if we needed anything at all.  

Right at about 8 o'clock, someone tapped me on the shoulder.  "You must be the infamous Ms. V," he said with a grin.

"That I am, Mr. Madden," I grinned.  "Nice to finally meet you, Joel.". I extended my hand, which he shook lightly.

"Agreed," he said.  "So, you're the one who's the party planner extraorinaire, huh?"

I laughed.  "I don't know if I'd go that far, but sure."  

"Are you kidding me?" he said.  "Look at this place!  It looks amazing.  And if you actually did pull it off as a surprise, you're a party planning god, in my opinion."

"Well, thanks," I blushed.  "Here's hoping.  It had to be pretty much a surprise to everyone the way those loudmouths are."  I paused to allow his laugh and nod.  "Matt knew, but the bare minimum details only."

"Probably for the best."  He was still laughing.  "Anyway, nice to meet you, and I'm sure I'll be seeing you around!"  He hugged me , and retreated to the corner where I saw his brother Benji and his wife Nicole lounging.  

I went up to the bar to refresh the drink Michelle had handed me, as well as get a couple for the guys.  If Zack was as pissed as I thought he was, he was going to need something quick to get happy again.  I waited politely until the black-haired bartender finished serving the group that had gathered around the opposite end of the bar, then started spouting off the boys' order.  "I'll need three Jack & Cokes, five shots of Patron, and holy shit!  Mama!"

The bartender squealed, and nearly broke the gate at the end of the bar off it's hinges running to me.  "Vivienne!" she screamed.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Jessica?" I asked, breathless from the excitement and her death-grip hug.

"Um, working, duh," she said.  "What are you doing here?"

"This is my party."  I gestured around the room.  "Wait, how much do you know about this party?"  I cocked an eyebrow.

"Not much," she sighed.  "We begged the boss to tell us, but he wouldn't.  I guess it's someone stupidly rich's birthday, if I had to wager a guess."  She looked around.  "I've already served Corey Taylor and the Madden twins, so I'm guessing it's a big deal."

"What's a big deal?" Michelle asked from behind me.  

"And you're Michelle Haner!" Jess spat excitedly.

Chelle just laughed.  "Sure am."

"V, if she's here, does that mean," she trailed off unable to finish her thought.

"Mama J, think about it," I giggled.  "Who do you know of that has a birthday coming up?"

"Oh my god!" she screamed.  "Tell me you're kidding!"

"If that's what you really want," I said beaming ear to ear.  "The guys are probably on their way right about now, actually."  Michelle stood next to me, chuckling the entire time.  "Oh, sorry," I said finally.  "Chelle, this is Jessica, an old friend of mine.  Otherwise known as Mama J in some circles."

"Nice to meet you!"  Jessica enveloped her in a huge hug.  And being that Jess stands right at 6'1", she engulfed Michelle at her slight 5-foot-something frame.

"Quite a hug you've got there," Michelle said laughing after Jess let her go.  "The boys are gonna love that."  She shot me a grin.  "Zee especially."

I winked at her, but was kept quiet as my phone vibrated.  "Matt says they're on their way.  And that Zack is pissed."  I quickly explained to Jess about the fake missed interview and how only Matt knew what was going on.

"Wait," she said, back on her side of the bar and pouring our drinks.  "You and Matt?"

I grinned and nodded.  "Crazy, right?"

She showed me a huge shit-eating grin.  "The Shadswoman truly is now, huh?"

"Ha!" I barked.  "Just you wait.  I might need you later to bail me outta trouble with Vengeance.  Daddy V willnot be too happy with me at first."  I winked at her pointedly.

"No Gena?"  she put the drinks on a tray and slid it over to me.

"Nope.  Totally single."  I didn't miss the little stutter-step she did, tripping over her feet.  "Anyway, I gotta run.  I'll be back for you, though!"  I blew her a kiss, grabbed the tray, and Michelle and I flounced up to the DJ booth to make the announcement that the guest of honor was on his way.

Not 20 minutes later, everyone in the club was standing around the doorway, confetti and noisemakers in hand.  I'd had Joel and Benji talk to the manager of the club, and use their influence to get Jess off work.  She was standing next to Michelle and me, cheesin' to beat all.  Matt shot me a text to say they were pulling up front, and I readied the crowd.  "Theyre coming!" I shouted.  "Everyone quiet!"

We took our positions and waited silently.  We heard the club manager directing them into the VIP room, and I hoped that Matt remembered to make Zack lead.  Sure enough he was the first head to poke in the door.

"Surprise!" the crowd screamed, clapping and laughing at Zack's face.  If he hadn't still been standing up, I'd have been certain he'd died of a heart attack.

Matt clapped him on the back.  "Happy birthday, bro," he said.  
♠ ♠ ♠
Pardon any typos, please. This was written and posted from my asshole of an iPod Touch. :)
Lemme know whatcha think, as always!