Seize the Day

Part 25

We'd finally gotten the mastered copy of the new album, and Matt and I were sitting on the couch in his studio listening to it. After the first four songs, which were all your standard average Avenged Sevenfold rock songs, a slower down-tempo tune came on. I felt Matt tense a bit against me, so I laid my head on his shoulder.

As the lyrics began, my breath caught in my throat. I looked up at him, only to see him looking back down at me, that smile on his lips, an anxious look in his eyes.

"Matt..." I started. That's all I could get out. The song was beautiful - by a long shot, the most gorgeous melody I'd ever heard. The lyrics were heartfelt, and just about as sappy as they come, but still somehow held the edge of Matt and the band. The lyrics were about rising from the ashes, and being alive again, escaping the flames.

He just nodded. "It's yours." Those two words suddenly meant the world to me. “It’s called ‘Phoenix’.”

"It's beautiful, Matt!" I hugged him tighter as I continued listening. He didn't say another word. He simply sat, stroking my hair, smiling the whole time. When the song ended, I reached for the stereo's remote, and pressed "pause." "Whoa," I breathed.

He pulled me onto his lap, straddling his thighs. "This song is the reason I knew I wanted you to stay here with me," he explained, locking his hands at the small of my back. "That first night you stayed here, after I fought to, ahem, stay out of your pants, I came in here and wrote music for like 5 hours. I couldn't sleep at all, the melody of that song was trying to break out of me." He leaned forward and touched his forehead to mine, then took a second to breathe deeply. I could tell he was choosing his words carefully. "I'd gone nearly eight months without writing one single line of music. Then one night, I hang out with some random chick for a couple of hours, and this song was driving me crazy trying to get out. It was you. You
opened me back up."

I took his face between my hands. "Matthew, I have never been so completely honored and speechless!" I kissed him hard. "I love you, so much!"

"I love you too, baby," he replied. "How about we listen to the rest of the album?" He winked, readjusted me so that I was still on his lap, but more comfortably so, and pressed "play" on the remote in my hand. By the end of the next song, which was definitely metal through and through, I had relocated to the othe end of the couch, totally headbanging my heart out. Matt just sat laughing at me.

"Oh my god, baby!" I squealed as the final track came to a finish. I had spent the last hour and 34 minutes totally silent, soaking in and absorbing each and every note. Each of Matt's growls, every one of Brian's solos, every rhythm chord Zack played, Johnny's bass riffs, and each of Arin's drum fills.

I ran to Matt, jumped into his arms, and wrapped my legs around his waist. "I'm so fucking proud of you boys!" I planted kisses all over his face.

"Thank you," he gushed. He spun around in a circle still holding me off the floor. "It really means a lot to me that you like it so much."

"Like it? It's perfect!" I tilted his face up toward me and kissed him hard. "I knew you guys had it in you, and I'm excited that I'm a part of this crazy family now."

"I love you, V," he said. "I'm glad you're part of our little tribe, too."

"I love you too, Matt." I finally slid out of his grasp and put my feet back on the floor. "So what time is the crew meeting up?"

We had decided that each of the band members would listen to the disc once on their own, again with their girl, and then all of us would meet up for another listen and discussion. Of course, it was our house that was going to be listening station central. Matt had the best sounding stereo system, in his sound-proof studio.

"They'll be here in about an hour," he said.

As expected, exactly 55 minutes later, the doorbell started ringing maniacally. "Christ is here," I laughed. I ran to the door to find it was indeed Johnny, but Zack and Jess as well, each of them hovering a hand over the doorbell. It seems they were taking turns pressing the button.

Jess pushed past me and ran into the house. "What do you think, V?" she squealed over her shoulder at me as she greeted Matt with a hug.

"We'll all talk as soon as Brian and Chelle and Arin get here. Chill, Mama!" I still hadn't gotten out of the habit of referring to her as Mama, and even Matt and Johnny had taken to the nickname.

"I know, I know." She crossed the living room, flopped into the huge leather recliner, and pouted. "What's taking them so long, anyway?" she asked the ceiling.

I looked over at Zack, who just shrugged and grinned at me. Just then, the door swung open, revealing the final three members of our little listening party. Before anyone could say anything to him, Brian full-on sprinted up the stairs, heading straight for the studio. We all followed quickly.

After listening all the way through the album two full times, we each went on and on about what we loved about it, and the very minor things we weren't happy about. I was making a list so that the guys could
address any issues with the producers.

"Guys, it's so awesome!" Michelle said. Jess and I nodded emphatically in accordance.

"It really, really is," I said. I jumped off my perch on Matt's lap, and made a circle going to each band member and giving them a huge hug and a kiss on the cheek. "I am so very proud of you all, and so fucking excited for this tour!" I finished the statement in a squeal. "I just wish I got to come out on the road with you for more than a couple of shows."

Jess looked at me quizically. "Job," Michelle answered for me. "She works for their management company, but it's a full time day job. She's not going to be able to go to more than a week's worth of shows that aren't here in Cali."

Jess pouted. "I can't go out there without you!"

"Uh, what am I? Chopped liver?" Zack joked.

"You know what I mean," she giggled.

"Anyway, yeah," I sighed. "I won't be accompanying y'all on the full tour. Duty calls, and all of that."

"I know," Matt said, kissing the top of my head. "I wish you could come out with us too. We'll have to plan at least one awesome week's run of shows for when you can come."

Matt led Brian, Johnny, Zacky, and Arin out of the house to meet with their record company to discuss the final touches to the album. The girls and myself stayed and enjoyed the afternoon by the pool.

"I still can't believe any of this," Jess sighed. "There's no way this is real!"

Michelle laughed from her inflatable raft. "Get used to it, sister! It only gets crazier from here, right, V?"

I chuckled and nodded. "You have no idea. At least you have me to help ease you into bizarro world here. I got dropped in head first!" I climbed out of the pool and wrapped a towel around my waist. "I need another drink. Margaritas for the pretty ladies?"

"Yes please!" they both chirped. I laughed and headed into the house to fire up the blender.

Just then, my phone rang. It was my boss. "Uh, hey, Steve. What's going on?"

"Hi, Vivienne. I have a proposition for you."

"Oh? What's that?"

"Well, we've talked several times about where you want to be with your career, and how you could maybe use your administrative position and know-how to springboard into something else."

"Yes, I love my job, and I love working for you, but I really don't think a secretary is the end of my career path."

"And that is exactly why I'm calling you.

"Ok," I mused. Sure. I'll bite.

"The company has been toying with the idea of a satellite manager, someone who could travel around, scouting out new talent for us, and landing the contracts. It's come to our attention that Avenged Sevenfold will be touring soon, and we know you'll probably be wanting to go."

"Yes, they're working out the kinks for a tour right now with the record execs." I was trying very hard not to get my hopes too far up, since I had no idea still what he was talking about.

"How would you like to be our first satellite floating talent manager?"

"Me? Are you serious?" I asked incredulously.

"Of course, it means you'll have to resign your current position, and that you'll be travelling quite a lot, but it also opens up the opportunity for you to accompany the band on their tour. We're expecting a couple of national acts as support on the tour, but also local talent at each stop. You can be our eyes and ears in the trenches to pick up new signees."

"Um, that sounds amazing, Steve!"

"Good. Come down to the office tomorrow and we'll discuss details."

"Ok, great," I answered. "I'll see you then!" I hung up the phone and ran outside, temporarily forgetting the frozen blended drinks. ”Oh my god!” I screamed as I flew out to the pool deck.

“What?” Jess and Michelle both yelled, jumping out of their lounge chairs. “Are you ok?” Jess trilled.

“So, remember how we were just talking about me not being able to tour with everyone?” My voice was getting considerably louder and more shrill. “I just got a call from my boss and they’re giving me a new job and I get to go on tour and I’ll be a manager and signing new bands to the group!” By the end of this run-on sentence, I was barely intelligible, and jumping up and down, flailing.

”Are you fucking serious?” Michelle screamed, joining me in the jumping. Jess ran over and enveloped both of us in a hug, the three of us hopping around like a bunch of crazed 13-year-old Justin Bieber fans.

I took a deep breath and untangled myself from them. “I am so serious. I go to the office tomorrow to discuss details.”

“That’s so fucking awesome!” Jess said.

We had dinner ready for everyone when Matt and the guys returned to the house.

"So, Larry and the Warner Brothers crew are working out kinks for the tour," Zack explained to all of us between bites of steak. "Looking at a full world tour, headlining."

"Yeah, we'll need to come up with some support acts," Brian mused, also munching.

"First things first, though," Matt said, always the voice of reason. "We need to pick the first single off this disc, get it released, drop the album, and then it's time to tour."

"My vote for single goes to number 5," I said, still not knowing the track names. "It's loud, fast, and awesome. Kick 'em in the teeth right from the start.".

"Exactly what I was thinking," Jess piped up. "Syn, that solo blisters!"

"All in favor?" Matt asked. "I really like that one too." Everyone else in the group nodded in agreement. "Ok, we'll tell them that's what we want out of the gate."

"I figured you'd have picked 'Phoenix', V," Brian said, poking me in the shoulder.

"No need for you to stick your nose in my biz-nass, Gates," I laughed, poking him back.

"Seriously, though, that song is killer, Shads." Arin pointed at me and smiled. "I assume she's your Phoenix?"

"Yeah," Matt sighed. "I think I might like to release that as a single eventually, but not first, and not if she doesn't want it." He squeezed me around my shoulders.

"Are you fuckin' joking?" I shot with a wink. "What girl doesn't want a song about her played all over the radio every day?" The girls laughed. "We'll see what happens," I said.

"Ok, so there's first single," Johnny said. "Now, tour."

"Tour," Zack repeated. "I'm thinking start in Canada? We haven't done a full leg up there in a long time.”

“Canada would be awesome. I’d love to see Montreal and Quebec City again,” I said, winking slyly at Jess and Michelle.

“We can try to work it out so that’s your week out,” Matt sighed.

“I don’t know if that will be necessary,” I giggled.

“What do you mean?” he asked, eyes wide.

“I got a call from Steve while you guys were gone. I go down tomorrow to discuss details of being The Collective’s first ‘satellite floating talent manager’, I think he called it. Basically, I’m getting a promotion, and will be coming on tour with you guys after all!”

All five men lunged off their chairs to bear hug me. Ok, I love hugs, but these guys are ridiculous! I thought to myself. I can’t even breathe! “That’s awesome, Princess!” Brian piped up. I didn't even scold him. I didn't really care right now.

“So, you’re going to be scouting talent while we’re running all over the world?” Zack asked.

“That’s the idea.” I finally escaped the ten arms that were encircling me and themselves. “They’re going to try to get a local or regional act on each bill, so I’ll be checking them out to see if anyone is worthy of The Collective’s services.”

Arin offered me a high five. “I’m glad you get to come out with us. I was sad!”

“Yeah, I was pretty bummed myself,” I said, slapping his hand. “But anyway, that’s that.” I grabbed the pitcher of margaritas off the table, filled everyone’s glass and raised mine. “To the new album, to a new single, to a new tour, and to all of us!”

Everyone else raised their glasses as well, clinking them together. “Fuck yeah!” Johnny yelled before chugging his drink.

“This is going to be interesting,” Matt said with a chuckle.