Seize the Day

Part 33

"Jess!" I yelled through the door into the main part of the hotel suite. Both Jesses came almost running toward my bedroom.

I had just flown back from LA and meeting with the bands I'd scouted since we started our tour. Jessica had picked up Mama J from the airport the night before, and they had, of course, spent the night wreaking havoc on the unsuspecting population of Chicago. The boys had another radio appearance, so they had gone straight to the hotel. Jamie, much to Johnny's dismay, had traveled back to Toronto to get some things in order so she could continuing touring with us. Michelle had flown back to California to spend some time with her parents. Both would be rejoining us in a couple of days. I got to Chicago about noon, and now me and the Laugh Twins were hanging out in mine & Matt's suite.

"What are you screaming about?" Jessica asked.

"I'm not screaming, I simply non-chalantly called for one or the other or both of you." I was sitting on the floor when they came into the room.

"And why the hell are you down there?" Jess asked. "You ok?"

"Mama J," I started. "I think we may have a problem." They both just stared at me, waiting for me to explain. "Uh, well, I think I might be pregnant," I said very softly.

"What?" Jess trilled. "How late?"

"Well," I said. "That's the thing. It's been so crazy around here, I honestly don't know. I haven't been paying attention."

"Oh," she said.

Jessica just stood behind her, mouth hanging open. "Well, I'm sure I can find a doctor who can get you in," she finally said. "This is my town, after all."

"I need you both to promise you won't say anything," I begged. "To anyone," I added,
glaring at Jess. "Not until I know anything for sure." I dropped my head to my hands. "Guess I need to make some phone calls and try to get an appointment, huh?"

By some miracle, an OB/GYN Jessica had seen before actually had an opening that afternoon, so we all loaded up and went. "There's no way I'm doing this by myself," I said. "You're both coming with!"

On the way, Jessica asked me, "You ok with this? You seem a little freaked. I always thought you'd have been thrilled to tote around a Mini-Shads for nine months." Jess laughed, too.

"Oh believe me, I'm totally ok with it," I said. "Just a little shocked right now. I mean, those pills I take every morning are supposed to keep this from happening until I'm damn good and ready. Besides, middle of a tour isn't exactly the best time to come up preggo." I looked in the rearview mirror at Jess sitting in the back seat. "This could be a crazy couple of months."

We got to the doctor's office, and to my immense surprise, there was no one waiting. I was in the exam room and with a doctor inside of fifteen minutes. I explained the situation, how I hadn't been tracking things, and mentioned the tour. That launched a pretty long conversation, as she was actually a fan of the band. She did her exam, I had to piss in a cup, then she trotted out the door.

"Weird," Jess said when she and Jessica came back into the room. "I think that doctor is going to remember this day forever. She touched the same hoo-hah that M. Shadows has!" The three of us busted into giggles.

"First person to know Shadsman has procreated, and she's a fucking fangirl," Jessica said, shaking her head.

"Might have procreated," I corrected her. "I may be just paranoid."

Just then, the doctor came back in. "Well, its official," she said. "You are definitely pregnant. If your memory and my calculations are correct, you're about 4 weeks along. Congratulations!"

I just stared at her, not knowing what to say. On one hand, I was excited and thrilled that I was going to have a baby, but on the other hand, I was still shocked and a little afraid of what Matt would say.

"Thank you, doctor," I said, sliding off the exam table. "I really appreciate you getting me in on such short notice."

I tossed the keys to Jessica. "You wanna drive? My brain is on overload right now." She
nodded and jumped behind the wheel of the car. Once we were all in and on our way, I sighed. "So, Auntie Puddin, Auntie Virgil, how do we think Daddy Matt's gonna react?"

"V, I'm sure he will shit," Jess said. "But in a good way. There's nothing in the world that he would be happier about."

"Really though," I said. "Don't say anything. Not even to Zack. I want to talk to Matt first."

"Done," she said, smiling. "Oh my god, Vivienne! This is so exciting!"

We got back to the hotel just as the boys did. Both girls were great about playing things off, and pretending nothing was up. Mama J introduced Jessica to everyone but Arin, who hadn't joined us yet. Myself, I seemed to he having a little more trouble. I felt like I was too nervous to even talk to Matt. I didn't have any idea how I was going to tell him. Mostly, I just tried to keep quiet for fear of it slipping out. Luckily, he was preoccupied enough with the show tonight, he didn't seem to notice.

Finally it was time to head to the venue and start getting ready for the show. We all grabbed our stuff and met in the lobby of the hotel.

"Oh!" I called, grabbing Jessica's wrist. "This is Arin." I winked at him as he came up next to me. "Arin, this is Jessica. She's good people."

"Of course she is," he said. "All your people are good people." He held out his hand to her. She looked at me, and I could tell she was squealing on the inside.

"Don't look at me," I laughed. "Make a new friend, Virgil!"

She snapped out of it, and took his hand. "Uh, hi."

"Really?" I giggled. "You bummed cigarettes off Gates, made fun of Vengeance and Christ, and tried to arm-wrestle Shadows, but the kid gets you tongue-tied? Oh, Jessica."

Jess and I laughed. I swear Arin blushed, but his dark skin made it difficult to tell. I just shook my head, took a deep breath, and walked over to Matt.

"First US show tonight!" I said, wrapping my arms around him. Stay calm, V, I ordered myself.

He kissed the top of my head. "Yep, its definitely a big night," he said softly.

"You ok?" I asked him. "You seem a little out of it."

"I'm good," he assured me. "Just psyching myself up for the show."

"Just checking," I said, hugging him tighter. "I love you."

He squeezed me back. "I love you too, baby." He pulled back to look at me. "Are you ok? You've been a little out there today too."

"Just tired." I looked up and tried not to get lost in those eyes. "Jet lag sucks."

"I know it does." He let go of me, took my hand and led me toward the door. "C'mon guys," he called over his shoulder. "Let's get going."

Once we got to the venue, the boys started their warm-up routine, and me and the Jesses went wandering around. I could hardly stand to be in the same room as Matt. I was sure something would slip out.

"How the fuck am I gonna tell him?" I wailed, as we moseyed around the soundboard.

"Well, I'd say the easiest way would be to open your mouth, and allow the words Matt, I'm carrying your child to come out," Mama J said.

"She's got a point," Jessica added. "You just need to tell him. If we drink tonight, I can't
promise I won't say anything." She giggled lightly.

"Well, if I don't tell him before drinking happens, it'll be clear something's up," I said. "Usually, I drink more than they do. Not gonna be doing that anymore."

"So just tell him," Jessica said.

I sighed. "I know." I plopped myself onto the floor behind the soundboard. "After the show. I don't want to freak him out before they go on stage."

Jess's phone buzzed with a text message. When she read it, she got a blank look on her face. "Hmm," she hummed softly.

"What's Vengeance up to?" I asked her, smiling.

"Oh," she said. "Um, they're hanging out backstage with the openers. Wanna go?"

"You guys go," I said. "I'm just gonna watch the stage crew set up the backdrops."

Matt's POV

After Vivienne left for California, I'd taken Jess back to that jewelry store where V had seen a ring. She had the information she'd requested when they were in, so finding it again was easy. As we sat down at the counter, the saleslady came up to us.

"Ah, so there was a little hint-dropping after all, huh?" she asked Jess.

"Well, yes, but not for me," she snorted. She looked over at me and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, then who would you be shopping for, sir?" Nicki, the sales associate asked, slinking over to me.

I returned Jess' eye-roll. "My best friend," she said. "When we were in the other day, it was recon work. She loved that one." She pointed into the case.

"Oh, yes," Nicki said. "I remember her. This ring is gorgeous, and looked amazing on her hand." She unlocked the case, and pulled the ring out.

I took it from her, and nearly gasped. "Wow, it is pretty damn nice, isn't it?"

I heard Jess chuckle. "Yes, Matt," she said. "It's fucking amazing. And V loved it, even if she wouldn't say it out loud. She literally couldn't take her eyes off it."

"What about sizing?" Nicki asked. "Did she find one that fit so we can have this one matched?"

"Actually," Jess said, "this one fit her perfectly. It was weird. Totally meant to be."

"Great," I said. "Makes things easier on me, since we're not here long. I'll take it." I fished my credit card out of my wallet and handed it over. The Nicki looked at me like I was nuts. "Yeah, I want it now," I huffed. "We're only in town one more day, so I wasn't sure what I was going to do if it had to be sized. But since it doesn't, here's my credit card. Please wrap it up."

"Ok, whatever you say, sir," she said, walking behind the counter to ring up the sale.

Fifteen minutes later, we were on our way. "Thanks, Mama," I said, throwing my arm around her shoulder as we walked through the mall. "V's got a great bunch of friends, and I'm glad to say you're my friend too."

"Yeah," she laughed. "You just owe me, huge. I'm talking like major big-time, here."

"I know I do," I said.

I carried the ring around with me for the next day and a half while Vivienne was in California. I was trying to decide just when the big event was going to happen, but I just couldn't come up with anything.

"So, when ya poppin' the q?" Johnny asked me as we were sitting in the airport waiting for our plane.

"I have no idea," I told him.

"You gonna cheese it out and do it at home, or do something fun?" Brian asked.

"I have no idea," I repeated, sighing. "I really don't know. I can't decide. I'm pretty sure she'll fucking hate me for like a week if I do it during a show like I want to, but I don't know if I can wait and keep it a secret until we get home."

"Just play it by ear," Zack said. "You'll know when it needs to happen. Don't rush it, bro."

When I picked up V at the airport in Chicago, the hug she gave me told me. It needed to happen sooner rather than later. We had a radio show to do, so the girls, including V and Jess' other friend Jessica, were spending the day chilling out.

I managed to make it through the radio interviews with minimal freaking out, but I was so distracted when we all met up in the lobby to head to the venue that I felt like shit. I didn't want it to seem like I was ignoring her, but I was afraid if I spent too much time around her, something would slip. I guess it was a good fucking thing she was so jet-legged from her quick trip to the West Coast that she didn't seem to notice.

As we were warming up and getting ready for the show, the Jessicas and Vivenne went trolling around the arena. I decided that I at least owed Mama J to tell her what I was up to, so I shot her a text message.

--FYI - It's gonna be tonight on stage. Can't wait. Hope she doesn't hate me too much.--

--OMG. She'll get over it, swear. I love you, Mattycakes. And she does too. It'll be fucking AWESOME. Be right there.--

Then, as if she was reading my mind, before I could say anything back, she continued.

--Just me and Jessica. V is hanging with JBDiz, DTB and the stage crew.--

--Ok, see you in a min.--

A few minutes later, the Jessicas ran up to me squealing.
"Sorry, sorry, sorry," Jessica said, out of breath. "I don't mean to be so loud and obnoxious, it's just that oh my god!"

Jess laughed at her, but was just as excited, I could tell. "Are you freaking out yet?" she asked me, hugging me.

"Yes. Completely and totally," I answered her honestly. "Are you sure that she'll say yes? I can't imagine doing this in front of a ten or twenty thousand people and getting shot the fuck down." That thought hadn't actually crossed my mind until just now, but I couldn't get it out of my head now.

"You're a goddamn idiot," Jessica said. "Sorry, I know I just met you, but I thought you'd be smarter, especially if V fell for you." She rolled her eyes. "Is he always this dumb?" she asked Jess.

"Sadly, yes," Jess laughed, winking at me. "As long as I've known him, which also isn't that long. I always thought smart as she is, Vivienne would have picked someone with a friggin' brain."

"Ha fucking ha," I said.

"Seriously, Matt," Jess said. "She loves you, more than anything in the world, and will absolutely say yes. No doubt about it." She shot a look at Jessica that I didn't miss, but couldn't explain.

"Um, speaking of," Jessica said. "We should go find her, you know." The both rushed off before I could say anything else.

Weirdos, I thought. A little crazy, both of them.

We finished getting ready for the show, watched as New Medicine and Trivium got the crowd worked up, ready for us. And worked up they were. Best crowd we'd seen so far on this tour. I pulled the guys aside and decided to fill them in on what was going to happen.

"Ok, so everyone already knows I'm planning on asking V to marry me," I said. "I'm gonna do it tonight. Seize the Day is being added to the setlist, between Danger Line and Bat Country. Gates, after your solo, keep going, that's when it's going to happen."

Zack and Brian both really lit up when I actually talked about it.

"Dude, that's fucking amazing," Zack said. "She's gonna flip."

"Yeah, I know," I said. "I can't imagine doing it any other way, though, and definitely not any other song."

Arin and Johnny also shared their congratulations. "Let's do this," Johnny said, clapping me on the back.

"Let's do this," I echoed.

We blew through the first couple of songs, as usual. The crowd was way into it, screaming the lyrics back to me, even the lyrics that I got wrong. If I was going to choose 25,000 people to witness my marriage proposal, I'd say a good majority of the kids at this show would be picked.
When Zack switched to his acoustic guitar, I glanced off to sidestage to look at the girls. Jess and Jessica were grinning ear to ear, and Vivienne looked a little confused. I knew she wasn't expecting to hear Seize the Day.

When Gates' solo started, I walked over to where the girls were standing, and reached for V's hand. For just a second, she just gaped at me. Finally, she put her hand in mine. I started walking back to the center of the stage, pulling her with me. As I'd expected, she clammed up, and started struggling and giggling, trying to get back to the safety of her stage wing.

By the time the solo was finished, and the guys were just looping background music to cover, I'd finally gotten Vivenne to the middle of the stage. I turned to look directly at her, knowing that she was terrified.

"Everyone, I want you all to meet someone," I said into my mic. "This is V, and she is my best friend. V," I said, as I reached into my pocket for the ring box, "I have something to ask you." Her eyes were full of fear, tears, and excitement when I opened the box. "You wanna get hitched?" The wording caught her off-guard enough that she busted out laughing. I winked at her, seeing that familiar blushing reaction. "What I mean is this," I said, dropping to one knee. "You truly are my phoenix, my everything right now. And I want to share everything with you, always. Will you marry me?"

Her hands flew to her mouth first, then around my neck. "Of course I will!" she nearly shrieked. "Yes, yes yes!"

I stood up, pulled the ring from the box and slid it easily onto her finger. Jess was right, I barely had time to think. It fits her perfectly, like it was made just for her. I pulled her into my arms tightly, and didn't want to let go. "I love you, baby," I said into her ear, over the screams and cheers from the crowd. I had almost forgotten there were thousands of other people in the room.

"I love you too," she said. She pulled away for a second, kissed me, then held her hand out to gawk at the ring. "Oh my god," I heard her breathe. "How did you know?"

"I'll explain it all later," I laughed, kissing her again.

She wrapped her arms around me again, and put her mouth to my ear. "Since you went through all this trouble, I might as well tell you," she said. "I'm pregnant."

I pulled away and looked at her. I knew my face couldn't have been too happy looking, since her expression changed immediately. After just a second's shock, her words sank in. "Are you serious?" I asked, my voice raising an octave and trembling just slightly.

She just nodded, and smiled sheepishly, waiting for my reaction.

Again, I forgot I was on stage, in the middle of a show, in front of 25,000 strangers. I grabbed her around the waist, picked her up and swung her around in a circle. "Fuck yeah!" I yelled, as I set her back down. I leaned over and kissed her deeply.

Now that she knew everything was ok, V's smile couldn't have been any bigger. "Well," I said, picking up my mic again. "If that little bit wasn't eventful enough, my fiancee" I said, emphasizing the word, and now addressing anyone and everyone in the building, "V has just informed me that it seems I'm going to be a father!" Again, screams and cheers erupted from the crowd. I turned to look at the guys behind me, all of them almost as excited as Vivienne and I were. They all walked over to us and started hugging and congratulating us. Jess and Jessica must have managed to coax or shove Dan the Body out of the way, because they both ran out onto stage as well, to join in the love.

After a couple of minutes of celebration, Vivienne took the microphone from me and winked. "Sorry for hijacking your show, y'all," she said, her Southern drawl coming out at the end. "Who wants to see these guys finish their show?" The crowd went nuts. "Oh, that's not enough," she yelled. "Who wants to see Avenged Fucking Sevenfold?" I didn't think it was possible, but the fans got even louder. V just laughed. "That's what I thought. Thanks for being here and being part of this, but now I just wanna rock the fuck out!"

The Jessicas fell into fits of giggles as V handed my mic back. She kissed me one more time, waved at the crowd, and towed the other girls off stage.

"She's right," I growled into the mic. "Let's finish this shit. I wanna see some moving out there, Chicago! We're going to Bat Country!"

We finished the set, tossed some souvenirs to the crowd, and said our goodnights. Once we got off stage, the congratulating and hugs started all over again.

"Ok, someone's got some fucking explaining to do," V tried to hiss, but she ended up laughing through it. She was glaring at Mama J and myself.

"Ok, ok, ok," Jess said, holding her hands up. "When you and me swapped boyfriends that night, Mattypants told me he was thinking about asking you to marry him. Then he held me in a headlock until I promised to find out what kind of ring you'd like. I had no idea how I was going to do that, until we were shopping that day. It just kind of happened. Then once you left for LA, we went back, bought the ring you ogled over forever, and ta da!" She flipped her hands out jazz-style.

"All true," I said, my arm around her waist. "Even the headlock part. I admit it."

"Congrats, bro," Zack said. "You scared Jess into keeping quiet." She shot him an evil look. "I commend you for that." He gathered V into a hug. "Congratulations, punkin," he cooed at her. "Now you really are family."

"And the family's just getting bigger!" Brian yelled, putting his hands on Vivienne's stomach. "Baby Shadows, you're fucked, little dude," he laughed.

V swatted his hands away. "Rules, my dears," she scolded. "There will be absolutely, postively no touching of my belly unless I ask you to do so. Period. End of conversation." She replaced Gates' hands with her own. "I'd like to think whoever is in there is pretty damn lucky," she said. "Dysfunctional and fucked up as we all may be, he or she is gonna have the most rockstar, kickass family ever."
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes? No? Comments? :-)