Seize the Day

Part 5

Matt leaned further forward, resting his forehead on mine for a second. “Fuck,” he groaned. He sat up and yelled back, “Upstairs, Zack! Be down in a minute!”

“Yeah, you better be! Is she even awake yet?” Brian’s voice was much closer than Zack’s had been. Suddenly his footsteps were in the hall outside the bedroom, and then in an instant, he was standing in the doorway.

“Sleeping Beauty!” he trilled. “I knew I was right in calling you ‘Princess’ after all!”

“Dude, really? I just said we’d be down in a fucking minute,” Matt growled.

“I know, but I didn’t want to miss the fun,” Brian said. He was grinning from ear to ear. “How’s the head, Princess?”

“It was fine until just about 30 seconds ago, actually,” I said, glaring. If my eyes could have thrown daggers, they would certainly have been doing so right then. “Suddenly, I can feel the headache returning though.”

“So you’re not even up and dressed yet? What have you two been doing?” Zack was standing in the doorway now too. “Never mind, we don’t want to know.” They both chuckled.

“She’s only been awake about 45 minutes,” Matt said. “I was giving her time for the Tylenol to kick in. You guys are way early, anyway.”

“Yeah, we know. But the girls went shopping, and we got bored.” Zack was very nearly whining.

“Ooh, you came to torture me then! Goody!” In all honesty, my headache had subsided, thanks to Matt’s miracle cure of Tylenol and Gatorade. I wasn’t about to let them know that, though. Just about then, Matt’s screaming voice came from the nightstand at the other end of the bed again. “That’s probably Sara, wondering where I am. She hasn’t called yet this hour.”

Before I knew what was happening, Brian leapt into the room, seemingly across the bed itself, and snatched the phone off the side table. “Dirty Dave’s Den of Debauchery, this is Slimy Steve, how can I direct your call?” he said into the handset. After awaiting a reply from the other party, he chuckled. “Yeah, it is. How’d you know? Yeah, she’s right here. Barely alive, with all the blood she lost. You know, virginal sacrifice and all.”

Give me that!” I barked. “Hello?”

“You’ve got Synyster Gates as your own personal answering service now, huh?” came Sara’s laughing voice at the other end of the line.

“No, Brian’s just a pain in my ass, mostly,” I spat, making sure he saw my glare. He simply stuck out his tongue at me, leaned against the wall and continued listening.

“Brian? You’re on a first name, well, real name basis with these guys?”

“Yeah, you know how it is. A night of drinking Jack, everyone’s like BFF&-fuckin- E’s,” I said.

“Right. Jack was involved. They’re lucky you’re just BFF&E’s, and not several more notches in your drunk-ass’ bedpost,” she joked.

“You’ll do well to shut it up, missy. Right the fuck now.” I chided her, in jest.

“Are you always so mean to her?” Brian asked from the other side of the room.

“Yeah, that was a little harsh, don’t you think?” I’d forgotten Zack was still in the room as well.

“Fuck off!” I yelled, sticking my tongue out at the both of them, repeating Brian’s earlier childish gesture. Matt just snickered next to me.

“Anyway, sorry to break up the party, but I was wondering if I was actually going to get to spend time with my best friend, since I’d assumed the bitch had flown across the country to see me,” she said. I could hear it in her voice that she was making her best pouty face.

“I can’t see you sticking your lip out, there, Sare-Bear. You know it doesn’t work if I can’t see it!”

“Obviously, you know that I’m doing it, so that’s close enough for me!” she said triumphantly.

“Fine. You win. And yes, I’ll be at your place as soon as I can get these crazy fuckers to release me. I think they’re still holding out for a ransom check.” I elbowed Matt to emphasize my point.

“Yeah, I know. You need to get back to Beverly Hills,” he said. Talking in a much louder voice, aimed at the phone he added, “Sara, I’ll have her back to you in a couple of hours, is that ok?”

“Tell him that’s only ok if I get to be kidnapped in return,”Sara said.

I relayed the message to him. “I wasn’t the kidnapper, that was Brian. You’ll have to talk to him,” he laughed.

“Hey, fucker!” Brian yelled, pointing a finger at Matt. “You’re the one who found her. I was just logistics.”

“Whatever, guys. But I did actually fly three thousand miles to visit Sara, and I would actually like to get to see her before I fly back.”

“Now, you’re talkin’, sister!” Sara chirped.

“You pipe down, lady!” I teased. “So, who gets the honor of driving me to the other side of the world?” I redirected my question to the room, rather than the phone.

“I promised you yesterday that I’d drive you to the Hills,” Matt said. “I’ll get you there. Just as soon as your lazy ass gets out of this bed and into some clothes!” He finished the sentence a tad louder than was necessary. I started to wonder why, until Sara piped up again.

“Whoa! You’re in his bed? Andnaked?” Her voice was incredulous.

“It’s not his bed, it’s a guest room, and I’m not naked, I’m just not wearing pants. So sue me! I don’t like sleeping in jeans!” I whined, turning my death dagger eyes on Matt now. He was grinning like a kid in a candy store.

Brian and Zack exchanged smirks. “You’re not wearing pants?” Brian asked, the wheels in his twisted little brain obviously spinning in overdrive.

“Don’t even think about it, Haner!” I shouted, grasping at the covers still hiding my lower half with my free hand.

“Hey, man. You don’t have to scream in my ear,” Sara said. I’d forgotten I still had the phone to my ear.

“Sorry, hun. I’m gonna have to get off here, so I can’t get these craze-mos out of the room so I can get dressed, and make Matt drive me across the freaking Sahara to get back to you. I’ll call you when I’m on the way, kay?” I asked.

“Sure thing. Make him be careful, ok?” she commanded. Then she yelled, as if he could hear her, “You hear that, mister? Be careful with my baby girl!”

“Got it, sweet thang. I’ll be sure to keep it under 100 miles per hour,” he answered, grinning. He’d heard her after all. I giggled.

“Ok, talk to you later. Loves!” I cooed, hanging up the phone. “Out!” I bellowed at the two men still standing near the doorway. “You too, sir,” I commanded Matt, nudging him with an elbow.

“Fine, we’re gone,” Zack sighed. “I do want to say that I hope we get to hang out again while you’re on the West Coast. You were a lot of fun last night.”

“ZeeVee’s right. I enjoyed having someone new to pick on,” Brian chided. “Make sure to give us a call before you fly out, puh-leeeease?” He made the word have at least three syllables.

“Fair enough,” I answered. I had certainly enjoyed myself around these guys. From that first instance with Matt at the bar, to the party in the VIP club, it felt like I’d known these four for years. “I’ll be sure to get in touch before I go back to Earth.”

Matt chuckled. “Ok, out we go. Bathroom’s just outside your door here, take your time.” With that, the three of them left.

I wore the sheet off the bed to the bathroom, just in case Brian had any bright ideas about coming back up the hallway after they’d left. I went into what seemed to be the most lavish bathroom this side of a royal palace. It was larger than my bedroom back home, which wasn’t modestly sized. There was both a full size tub/shower and a large Jacuzzi bathtub in the room, along with the standard toilet and sink. The vanity counter and mirror stretched along the long wall, and I found a stack of clothes sitting there. I unfolded a pair of the jeans, too nice for anything I’d buy myself, and checked the size. Close enough, I thought. They’ll work. It took too long for me to decide that I should skip the bathtub, being that I was on a bit of a time constraint. I could only imagine the time I’d waste if I made that choice.

Freshly scrubbed and wearing a full outfit of clean clothes, I emerged from the bathroom and went down the stairs. Zack and Brian hadn’t gone far -- the three of them were sitting in various chairs and sofas in the living room with video game controllers in their hands.

“Ok, all ready,” I chimed.

“Hmm. You’re gonna have to wait now. We just started an online campaign in Left 4 Dead 2.” Brian was the one who replied.

“Awesome, I love this game!” My enthusiasm caught them off guard. I hurried around the corner to catch a glimpse of the tv, which unsurprisingly, was roughly the size of a refrigerator laid on its side.

“You play video games?” Zack asked. “That’s fuckin’ badass!”

“Badass it is,” Matt added with that smile.

“Yeah, I’m one of those girls. I’m too fucking attached to my PS3 to get anything done at home sometimes.” I grinned at the three of them as they continued to stare me down. I ignored the looks and continued as I plopped down on the opposite end of the sofa from Zack, next to Matt’s chair. “So, do the other people you’re playing with know that it’s Avenged Sevenfold on the other end of that internet cable?”

“Nah, totally anonymous,” Brian said. “Just the way we like it.”

“Oh, and don’t let her distract you, Shadows. We have to win this one,” Zack teased, looking back to the screen before he could see me flipping him off.

After a thirty minute zombie-killing spree, they were declared winners of the match, and turned off the game. “Ok, I really need to get her back to Sara. She’s going to start thinking we’ve kidnapped you again,” Matt said, poking the controller at me. The other two guys headed toward the door, looking back at me as they left.

“Remember, call us before you leave! We need to get schwasted again,” Brian said. “Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Sunny LA!”

“Bye guys,” I said. “It really was nice to meet you, and I had fun last night. At least I think I did. I don’t remember much of it.”

“Oh, believe us. You had fun. I’ve even got the pictures to prove it.” Zack’s smirk, adorable as it was, told me that he likely wasn’t kidding.

“You’d fucking better be lying, Vengeance!” I growled. “I will not be ok with finding myself on Google one day!” He just threw his arms up in a shrug. I stepped forward and hugged them both goodbye. “I promise, I’ll talk to you all before I leave.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt locked the door behind them, and then directed me through the kitchen to the garage. As soon as I opened the door, I couldn't help but feel like I'd stepped into an episode of MTV’s Cribs. "Oh. My. God," I breathed, making each word a statement of its own. "Is that a '69 Camaro? Oh God! And a '70 Nova SS?"

He stared at me, eyes wide in disbelief. My Avenged Sevenfold fan girl moment was officially over. I was now completely geeking out on his harem of transportation options. "A car girl, huh?" he asked, his face still shocked.

I was barely paying attention to him. I had begun running my hands over the curves of the cars, reading the stat sheets over in my mind. "And a 1970 Boss 302 Mustang? Does that Nova have the 350 or the 396?" I finally looked at him, only to see that he was completely taken aback by my knowledge, standing with his jaw hanging open. "I grew up as the daughter, granddaughter, niece and sister of a family of mechanics. This garage is what my Heaven will look like, if there is such a thing!" I answered his questions before he asked them. Just then, I noticed the last car in line in the garage. “Is that,” I sputtered, “a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T?”

He simply laughed. "It just so happens that it is.” He was obviously enjoying this. “You know that’s the same model…” he began.

“That was used in Vanishing Point in ‘71, yeah, I know,” I finished for him. “Tarantino’s Death Proof, too,” I added. “Sublime Green, my favorite color.” At this point, I was talking directly to the car, not to Matt. “This really is heaven!”

“Well, since you’re the car expert, I'll let you choose the ride. If you're really nice, you might even get to drive. “ He winked, but I barely saw it.

"Are you serious?" I shrieked. "I get to ride in one of these pieces of art?"

"Wow, you really are a car girl, aren't you?" he beamed.

"You have no idea, sir!" I was absolutely ecstatic at the prospect of getting to sit in one of these cars, let alone take him up on his offer of driving one.

After I'd finished with the inquisition about the vehicles, which he more than thoroughly passed being a decent gear-head himself, he asked, "So, which one is it going to be? Your choice.” I pointed without a thought at the bright green Challenger. "Your wish is my command," he said while opening the driver's side door, holding it open invitingly.

"You were serious?” Not possible, V. You’re totally dreaming again, I thought. “Oh, no. I couldn't. Just being in the car will be quite enough." Mostly, I was shaking too badly to be allowed behind any wheel, let alone the wheel of my favorite car of all time.

"If you're sure," he said, rounding the front bumper of the car to open the passenger door instead.

"Aw, thanks," I blushed.

He walked back up to the counter just outside the door into the house and rummaged through a couple of drawers. When he came back to the car, he held two electronic devices. One was an iPod he plugged into a definitely not-stock stereo system. "Sorry, I know having after-stock parts, even a radio, is like blasphemy, but I gotta have my tunes." He handed the other device to me, a GPS unit. "I have no idea where Sara lives, so if you'll put her address in there, we'll be on our way."

"Got it," I said as I entered Sara's address onto the touch screen . As I was doing so, Matt was shuffling through the music player, until the sound of Metallica's "Hit the Lights" was raging through the sound system.

Metallica. Of course, I thought to myself trying not to smile. He’d only be more predictable if it was Guns N Roses.

He kept the volume low enough that we could still hold a conversation as we drove down the highway.

“So what do you do with yourself when you’re not partying with rockstars and sleeping like the fucking dead?” he asked, smiling.

“I’m a secretary by day and a caped crusader by night,” I said, drawing a chuckle from him. “Actually, I have two or three other seasonal jobs as well.“ I was trying to focus on the conversation, rather than the dimples. “But I’m pretty fond of my new gig as a drunken groupie. I think I was pretty good at that.”

“That you were,“ he chuckled. “Two or three seasonal jobs? One job isn‘t enough?” he asked. “Well, one job and fighting crime?”

“I’m the kind to stay busy. I don’t deal well with down time. In the fall, I work at a Halloween store. That’s more of a hobby I get paid for, really. We just all get together and fuck around all day, and get paid for it. It’s a lot of fun. Halloween is my Christmas,” I told him. “I also have a part-timeish gig planning a convention the weekend after Halloween every year. “ I giggled lightly. Wait for it... Three, two, one…I thought.

“A convention?” he asked, an eyebrow raised. “Like Comic-Con?”

“There it is,” I laughed. “Yeah, it’s sort of like Comic-Con, but it’s for horror movies and the paranormal. It’s called Scarefest,“ I explained. Talking about the convention was one of my favorite things. “Slasher film stars, ghost hunters, psychics, scream queens, we’ve got ‘em all! Last year we had George Romero, this year, we have both Freddy Kruegers, the new and the old, and Bruce Campbell!”

“That actually sounds fucking awesome.” He said this like I didn’t already know how awesome it was.

“Yeah, I know. It’s completely uber-nerdy, but is indeed fucking awesome. That’s why I’m a part of it,” I retorted. “Or is it awesome because I’m a part of it? I guess we’ll never know.” It was my turn to grin. “Anyway, this early fall trip is actually my set-up vacation. With Halloween and then Scarefest, my fall runs right into Christmas season, and I don’t have a chance to breathe until after New Year’s. I like to take a little time off before everything gets into gear.”

“Wow, you do keep yourself busy,” he said.

“What can I say? I’m a bit of a masochist,” I said with a wink. “So yeah, that’s what I do. I’m boring. Not only do I work too much, but none of my jobs are exciting.”

“Boring isn’t bad,” Matt said. “Besides, I’d hardly call you boring.”

“You’re right,” I agreed. “’Lame’ is the term I use most frequently.”

He lightly slapped my knee. “Lame and boring are the two least likely words I’d use to describe you.”

“Oh really?” I asked. “Then what words would you use to describe me?” Uh-oh. That’s a loaded question if ever I heard one, I thought to myself. Take it back!

“Hm,” he started. “I should have known that question was coming, shouldn’t I?”

“Never mind,” I mumbled. Good going. Foot in your mouth again, I thought, chewing on my lip.

“Nah, off the top of my head, I’d go with fun, outgoing, and beautiful,” he said, not looking at me as he answered.

“Wow. Maybe I should be the one trying to get a gig as an actress,” I said. “Sara’s good, but apparently I’m better, if you believe even half of what you just said.” I was trying to keep the beautiful part out of my head. “Fun? Outgoing? Who the hell did you meet last night?

“You forgot ‘beautiful.’” He looked my way for a split second. His half-smile made his face terribly transparent. There was no lying displayed there.

“Ok, and beautiful.” The word tasted funny in my mouth. I’ve never been good at receiving compliments. It was even harder coming from a person I’d admired from afar, but had never in a million years expected to meet. “I’d really like to know who it was you met last night, though, because if she gets all the glory, and I got the hangover, I am not happy.”

His smirk turned into a full-on smile. “Of course it was you. Anyone who can pick up and hang with our crew as easily as you did, as quickly as you did, has to be fun and outgoing. We’ve proven to be pretty fucking overwhelming with a lot of people.” He rested his hand on my knee. “You, on the other hand, it was like we’d known you as long as we’d known each other. You could even handle Gates, at his best. Or worst, I guess.”

“I’m definitely not a people person,” I argued, shaking my head briskly. “I’ve never been outgoing. I actually hate crowds and being around people. That’s the biggest reason I was already drinking when you came up to the bar. Too many people. I can’t handle it sober.”

“Ok, so maybe one of those words to describe you should be ‘lush,’ then?”

“Ha ha. Very funny.” I slapped at his leg playfully.

“Hey, trying to drive here!” he kidded as he swatted back. “Are you trying to kill us both?”

Not any more than you’re trying to kill me with those dimples, I thought. “Um, we’re sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the LA freeway. “ It was true. It’d been at least 3 minutes since we’d moved at all. “Or were you too busy staring at my beautiful visage to notice we haven’t moved?”

“Ha ha,” he said. “Now who’s the comedian?” I just grinned the biggest, most mischievous smile I could. “When are you leaving?” he asked. “We have to plan another party night before you go. You heard Gates,” he added, returning the grin.

“I fly out next Tuesday. Ten days,” I answered.

“Good,” was all he said. I could sense there were wheels turning and plots being plotted behind this answer.

“Any particular reason that’s a good thing?” I asked pointedly. “It’s not nice to keep secrets, you know,” I added to make sure he knew that I knew he was up to something.

“No secrets,” he said, still smiling. “Just an idea.”

“Care to share with the class?” I asked a little more forcefully.

“Well, on Friday night, there’s a little showcase show for the label.” I could tell he was trying to choose his words wisely. “It’ll be an excuse to party afterwards, an excuse for all of us to get to hang out with the infamous duo of Vivienne and Sara, and a chance for you to get to catch us play.”

“I have seen you play, twice actually,” I said. “Well, I was there twice. Only the second one counts.” He eyed me suspiciously. “I told you -- I don’t deal well with crowds. The first time, in Lexington, I had a full scale panic attack, hyperventilation and all, and had to watch the show from behind the soundboard. I think I made it through like 2 songs.” I could feel my cheeks redden with slight embarrassment.

“Are you blushing?”

Crap. Busted.

“Why would you be embarrassed that you had a panic attack? It’s not something you can help.” His voice had an edge of tension. “You weren’t hurt or anything, were you?”

“No, nothing like that,” I answered, still flustered. “I just couldn’t stand the pushing and shoving. Moshing is one thing, but I felt like I was being crushed, and I couldn’t breathe. So I had to get out of the pit. If it’s any consolation, Alex stayed right up front the whole time. She even got Zacky V. to blow her a kiss,” I finished, emphasizing Zack’s stage name.

He laughed. “Right, her fave. But you did see us again?”

“Yep, Uproar Festival in Columbus. It took everything out of me, but I willed myself calm to enjoy the show,” I said triumphantly. “I wasn’t about to chicken out again! But anyway, yes, I’ve seen you play live, twice.”

“But neither of those times were you attending as the personal guest of one of the lead singer.” I couldn’t tell if the look on his face was cockiness or trepidation. The shaking in his hands, clutching the steering wheel suggested the latter.

“Matt Sanders, are you asking me out?” I nearly shouted in surprise. This is not happening! I thought. Please don’t hyperventilate. Now is not the time. Calm the fuck down, V!

“If I was, what would your answer be?” he said sheepishly, his head tucked down slightly.

He is asking me out, and he’s legitimately worried about my response, I thought. What planet did I land on? I’m sure as shit not in Kansas anymore.

“Well, I’d have to say yes, of course,” I said, trying to keep my voice even. “I mean, if that’s what you’re asking.”

“It is, and good. It’s a date then,” he said. I saw the tension release from his hands. “Make sure Sara doesn’t have to work. I don’t care if I have to call her in dead, she’s coming too.” The smile was spread across his face again.

The rest of the trip was spent chatting about this and that, nothing over the top important -- musical tastes (other than the obvious, of course), books, tv, movies, and the like. It was only when my stomach growled loudly and uncontrollably that we paused the conversation.

“So, did I actually eat anything last night?” I asked, still unable to recall most of the night.

“No, you ordered enough for all of us, but couldn’t be bothered to touch it,” he answered, laughing. “We gave it to Gerald. I guess that’s well into 36 hours you’ve gone without food. Want to grab something?”

“That sounds like the second best idea I’ve heard today.” I couldn’t keep the smirk on my face out of my tone.

“Second best?” he asked, seriously.

I stared at him for a brief moment. “You asked me out on a date less than 15 minutes ago, and you really have to wonder what the best idea today was?” I retorted lightly.

“Oh. That,” he said, the same sheepish smile creeping back. “I guess that was a pretty good idea, huh?”

“I’ll say,” I said. “So. What to eat?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 5 of a currently written 14. Let me know what you think, and if you want me to keep posting. :)