Seize the Day

Part 6

“Ok, tell me everything,” Sara said. “I mean ev-er-y-thing!”

“Well, I’ll tell you all I can remember, and then what was relayed to me later, but I’m still not sure that covers it all,” I told her. I began the story with meeting up with Matt at the bar in her restaurant, filling in what few details I had of the night before. I told her about the tattoo discussion and him singing to me on the bed, and ended with the car ride home. “Oh, you need to make sure you don’t work on Friday night. Matt said he’d call you in ‘dead’ if necessary, but we have to party.”

“Me too?” she asked, grinning hugely, pointing at herself.

“Yep, they want to hang with both of us together. You know the full effect,” I told her, motioning at the space between us. I was definitely as excited as she was. “And I’ll need your LA fashion-sense expertise. I’m pretty sure the ‘girl from Kentucky’ routine is just not gonna cut it at a label showcase.”

Whoa!” she yelled. “A label showcase?”

“Ok, only dogs can hear you now. Bring it down an octave or six, Trigger,” I teased. “Yes, we’re going to a label showcase show, and I’m going as, get this, as M. Shadows’ date,” I squealed.

“You’re fucking shitting me!” Sara screamed, beating my volume easily. She’d always been the louder of us two. “Oh my god! A date?”

“I know, un-fucking-believable, right?” I still didn’t believe it myself, honestly. “So we need to go shopping. I managed well enough for a club night with a bunch of guys, but I’ll need something better for a label show as a lead singer’s date.”

“Hells yes, you do. I know just the place. We’ll go tomorrow, right after I go to the restaurant and tell them to fuck off for Friday night,” she said. “Oh my god!” she screamed again.

I called Alex the minute I finished recounting the tale to Sara, and got pretty much the same response from her. Actually, she was even more excited than Sara had been, being as she’s such a huge fan of the band. I also made sure to tell her that all of the guys, especially her precious Zacky V., smelled fantastic.

When I got to the part about staying at Matt’s house, and him asking me out on a date so to speak, her brain clicked. “Wait a second! Matt’s married, Vivienne!” she squealed.

“Oh, that.” I had forgotten to mention that part so far. “Actually, Matt and Valary split up about eight months ago. Divorce should be finalized any time now.” When she didn’t say anything for a second, I added, “I know. Weird, right?”

Yeah. But I don’t know what’s weirder,” she started.

“That they split up, or that I’m the rebound?” I asked, giggling lightly.

Well, not exactly what I was gonna say, but yeah. Basic idea.” I could almost hear the wheels turning in her head.

“Believe me, I know. It’s a lot to process!” I told her.

Yeah. Wow. Anyway, so you’re really going to be his date to a label show?

“Looks like it,” I answered, grinning. “Oh, and Alex, you should see this man’s garage.” I knew Al was almost as big a “car girl” as I was. “He drove me back to Sara’s in a ‘70 Dodge Challenger, Al.”

You’re shitting me! He owns one?” I knew that would get her off the divorce topic.

“Yup. Sublime Green, no less. And he has a Boss 302 ‘Stang, a ‘69 Camaro and a Nova. Dude, I needed new pants just walking into his garage.”

Only you would get more hot and bothered by a couple of cars than M. Fucking Shadows, V.

“Yeah, you’re right. Well, me and maybe you.” We both laughed. “I really wish you were here, sis,” I told her as I was getting ready to end the call. “I know this would be a literal dream come true for you. I’m sorry that you’re missing out.”

That’s ok,” she said. “I’m just glad you’re having fun. Make sure to take lots of pictures for me! Oh, and tell Matt,” she paused here to giggle at the idea of getting to refer to him by his first name, “that I will fuck him up if he does anything to hurt you! I will come out there to LA and find his ass!

“I’ll be sure to let him know,” I promised. “I love you, kid. Be good.”

I’m not the one going on a date with a fucking rockstar.You be good, V,” she scolded.

“Fair enough,” I assured her. “I’ll call you later.”

Counting down through the next week was almost like torture. Sara and I got some awesome sightseeing in. We saw the Hollywood sign, the Walk of Fame, went to a taping of The Tonight Show, and even set-stalked a scene in Angelina Jolie’s new movie. However, every free second I had was spent thinking of the Friday night before, and the Friday night upcoming.

On Tuesday night, my phone rang. The caller ID showed Captain Dimples calling.

Well, I don’t remember putting that in there, I thought to myself, blushing.

“Hello?” I asked into the receiver, not exactly sure if it was indeed Matt on the other end.

Hey, V,” came the other voice. That silky, rich, dark voice. It was Matt alright. My stomach erupted into a pit of nervous butterflies. “How’s it going?

Ok, don’t lose it now. Keep it cool, I demanded of myself.

“Good, how about you?” I asked, managing to stay fairly calm. Sara shot me a questioning glance from the other side of her living room. “Matt,” I mouthed silently to her. She instantly went into a fit alternating between uncontrollable giggles and third grade kissy faces. I couldn’t help but laugh.

Something funny about my call? Or are you busy?” I could tell from just the inflection in his voice that he was smiling that smile.

“Sara is harassing me,” I told him, flipping her the middle finger. “Nothing I can’t handle. What’s up?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

Just wanted to make sure everyone is still on for Friday night. Sara did get off work, right?” he asked.

“Oh, right, Friday night,” I repeated. I was doing my best to make it sound like I’d nearly forgotten. “Yeah, we’re still on, I guess.” I winked at Sara, who was giving me two thumbs up.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure you hadn’t forgotten about me,” he said.

“How could I?” I asked too quickly and too sharply, forgetting all about my plan of acting uninterested. Shit. Way to go, V. Sara returned my middle finger, adding a finger-thumb gunshot to the throat.

Well good. I’d hate for you to forget,” he said. His tiny chuckle told me that he’d caught me in my ruse. “The showcase starts at seven pm, we have to be there at five. Pick you girls up at four? Or do you want to meet us there?

“Is four o’clock ok for Friday, Sare-Bear?” I said across the room.

“Sure!” she said back, picking up her enthusiasm.

“Four o’clock it is, then,” I said into the phone. “It won’t be a limo will it?” I groaned, remembering the transportation that first night.

Yeah, it will,” he chuckled. “Can’t have you showing up to your first label showcase in a cab, now can we?

“I was kind of hoping for another dose of those good old fashioned American muscle cars,” I cooed. Sara was rolling her eyes, and making more obscene gestures with her hands. “Shut up!” I tried to whisper. Apparently, it came out a little more than a whisper.

Why are you telling me to shut up?” Matt asked. I could still hear that he was laughing.

“Not you!” I shouted. Sara started laughing hysterically. “I’ll be right back,” I said to her, as I walked past her into the bathroom.

Ok,” Matt said.

“Not you!” I said again. “Sara, if you’re not going to leave me alone, I’ll be right back. Matt, I’m going into the other room so Sara will stop harassing me, so hold on!”

Sara stuck her tongue out at me, and gave me two middle fingers this time. Matt simply continued laughing.

Once in the safety of Sara’s bathroom, I said into the phone, “Ok, much better.”

Do you really have that big a problem with a limo?” he asked me.

“I guess not. I’d just rather be a little less conspicuous,” I answered honestly. “It’s not like everyone in the world is going to be looking at me once I get into the showcase already.” I sighed.

Come on, limos are fun,” he said, trying to be cheerful. “Not to mention, it’s hard to fit you, Sara, Zack & Gena, Brian & Michelle, Johnny & Lacey, plus me into one muscle car.

“Fine. But I won’t be happy about it,” I pouted.

What was that you told Sara the other night? About not being able to see your pouty face over the phone?” Matt was enjoying getting his way, yet again.

“And like she told me, you know I’m doing it, so it’s obviously working well enough,” I spat teasingly. “Besides, I guess Sara didn’t get the limo treatment, so I owe that to her.”

Now you’re talking,” he said.

“Can you warn Brian and Johnny in advance that they are to be on their best behavior?” I pleaded. “Sara’s still new to the crowd, and while we’re pretty much the same person, I don’t want them treating her like the new kid.”

I’ll do my best, but you already know that you can’t tell those two anything,” he laughed.

“Good. Besides, it’s them I’m worried about more than her,” I said, just as Sara started banging obnoxiously on the bathroom door. “Ok, I’ve gotta go. Sara’s getting antsy. I’ll see you at four on Friday.”

I can’t wait,” he purred. “Really, I can’t.

“Me either,” I answered. “Bye. Wait!

Yeah?” he answered.

“Did you put your phone number into my phone last Friday night?” I asked.

No, I didn’t,” he said, almost asked, puzzled.

“Hm,” I said. “Do you remember me putting your number in?” I asked, knowing exactly where this was going.

No, I don’t think so,” came his response.

“Ok, then. Make sure you tell Mr. Synyster Gates that I’m going to fucking murder him, then,” I warned. “Sara, cut it out!” I added, since she was still trying to beat the door down. “Anyway, I’ve gotta go, Matt. See you Friday.”

Ok. Bye,” he laughed.

“What do you want?” I growled at Sara as I yanked the door open. She grabbed me in a bear hug and we both fell to the floor, laughing. “So, are you ready for this shit?” I asked her.

“I guess I have to be, don’t I?” she replied.

“Yeah, I guess so,” I laughed. “Just be aware, these guys are quite a fuckin’ handful. Not that I don’t think you can handle yourself, but still.”

“Oh, they got nothin’ on this,” she said, as she gestured down the length of her torso. I just busted into a fit of giggles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, Friday rolled around. After spending at least three days trying to find an outfit fit for a musician’s date at a label showcase, of all places, we found the perfect thing. It was a dress, which I wasn’t keen on at first, until I realized that it matched perfectly my favorite (and only) pair of heels. The shoes were the only comfortable pair of heels I’d ever found to fit me. They were chunkier heels, not stilettos, but sexy nonetheless. The problem was that they were ugly white satin. I bought them any way, and modified them until they were truly Vivienne-style. Using black fabric paint, I’d done away with the white satin. Then I’d Mod-Podged the coolest zombie drawing I could find, in turquoise and purple onto the shoes. The result was pretty awesome, and I got compliments on them whenever I wore them out. The above-the-knee A-line dress we found had the exact shade of both the turquoise and the purple, with a black lace overlay.****(Links to pics at bottom)**** It was too perfect, actually. Sara decided on a black mini-skirt, with a white leather halter vest and tall biker boots. The whole ensemble was pretty Joan Jett-esque, but Sara pulled it off nicely.

At about 3:30pm, while Sara and I were sipping a couple of beers waiting for the guys, my phone rang. Captain Dimples calling, the caller ID told me. Damn, I forgot to change that. I’ll need to take that up with Brian when I see him. “Hey, you,” I answered.

Just making sure you two are ready to go. We’re about 20 minutes out,” he said.

“Yep, we’re ready. Just having a beer, call when you’re here and we’ll meet you outside.” The beer was serving more than one purpose, helping to calm my nerves about the night ahead, as well as lazily relaxing.

Ok, sounds good.

“See you in a bit,” I said, hanging up. I turned to Sara. “I don’t think I can do this, dude,” I said, covering my face with my hands.

“Of course you can, hooker,” she said lovingly. “I’ll be there, the other guys will be there, and it’ll be a blast.”

“Yeah, I know it will,” I resigned. “I just still can’t believe it.”

“Well, believe it, sister. This is LA!” she howled. She was truly excited.

I laughed at her enthusiasm. “Better get your drinking cap on, bitch,” I exclaimed. “These guys are drinkers, and they won’t take no for an answer!”

“Bring it on, fuckers!” she yelled, raising her bottle in a toast. I tapped my bottle to hers, and we guzzled them down.

“We are classy, classy broads. You know that right?” I laughed after she belched.

“Of course we are,” she said curtly. “Don’t you ever let anyone tell you otherwise.”

Just then, the doorbell rang. Sara eyed me curiously.

“I don’t know, I told him to call when they were here,” I shrugged. She stood staring at me for a moment. “You gonna get that, or what?”

She smoothed her skirt and rushed to the door.

“Whoa, hey, Sara,” I heard from the front steps, a little breathless. “You look great.”

Oh, Zacky, I thought. You’re so fuckin’ adorable.

“What did you think I was going to wear?” she spat. “My waitress uniform?” She was trying to play rough, but I could tell that she was pleased to have gotten the compliment.

“Well, uh, no,” Zack sputtered. I came up behind Sara, saving him any further embarrassment.

“Hey Zack!” I chimed.

“Hey V!” he replied. I reached over Sara’s head to give him a high five. Sara scoffed. She hated it when I flaunted my height over her. At 5’9”, I was already taller than Sara, and a lot of women I knew, but in these 3-inch heels, I towered over Sara’s tiny 5’4” frame. Even in her biker boots, she wasn’t nearly as tall as me without my shoes. Although, at this point, I was even taller than Zacky V. himself.

“Sorry, hun.” I apologized before she could express the feeling. “Come on in, Zack.”

“Wait, where is everyone else?” Sara asked suddenly.

“We’ve had a slight change in plans,” he grinned.

“Oh, shit,” I groaned. “I hate it when you guys have ideas!”

“You pipe down,” Zack teased.

I dropped my jaw in mock horror. “Zachary Baker, did you just tell me to pipe down?” I asked.

“Yes, I did, actually. And just what are you planning to do about it?” he replied, cocking an eyebrow and crossing his arms over his chest.

“Oh, nothing. I was just making sure that’s what was going on,” I said with a shrug.

“That’s what I thought,” he muttered.

Just then, my phone started screaming again. I’m really going to have to change that ringtone, I told myself.

“Captain Dimples calling?” he asked, a wicked grin spreading across his otherwise nearly angelic face.

“That was you?” I howled. “I will get you for that!” I answered the phone, out of breath, looking around the room for a murder weapon. “Hello?” I barked into the phone, as Zack just continued grinning at me.

You ok? You sound out of,” Matt started from the other end.

“I’m ok, but you’re about to have to find a new rhythm guitarist!” I cut him off, as I pitched an ink pen off the counter at Zack’s head.

“Hey! Don’t throw things at me!” he squealed, ducking.

Ok, ok, enough, you two!” Matt laughed. “Did Zack tell you what was going on?

“No, he started to, right before I threatened him within an inch of his fucking life,” I admitted, hanging my head. “Zack, what’s the plan?”

“Well, as you can see, I’m here and Matt is not,” he began. “There was a pre-party announced last minute, so Brian and Johnny and the girls are already there. You’re with me in the limo,” he said, pointing to a very gleeful Sara, “and Matt is on his way to pick you up,” he finished, pointing at me.

Almost there, actually,” I heard Matt say. I’d forgotten he was still on the phone and had dropped it from my ear.

“Oh, ok,” was all I could muster. Why all the separate cars? I wondered to myself.

“So, you and me, let’s go.” Zack reached for Sara’s hand.

“Ok,” she shrugged, looking to me.

“I have no idea what any of this is about, so don’t look at me.” I honestly didn’t.

“Here’s the key. Lock up when you leave.” She dropped her apartment key into my hand. “See you in a bit, I guess,” she said.

“Yep, I guess so.” I was still so shocked that I had nothing else to say.

Hey! V, you still there?” Matt’s voice came from my phone handset.

“Oh, yeah, I’m here,” I said waving Sara and Zack out the door. “So what the fuck is going on, anyway?”

Like Zack said, they announced a pre-party very last minute. I didn’t want to cut into your time getting ready or whatever, so we just sent Brian & Michelle and Johnny & Lacey and Gena on ahead.” He was leaving a bit of information out, though.

“Ok, but what about Zack? Wouldn’t it have been easier to have just picked Sara and I both up in one limo?” I asked.

Well, yes, probably. But you said you didn’t want a limo, so I figured I’d oblige.

Right at that moment, I heard an unmistakable car pull up. I looked out the window to see Matt’s green Challenger parked in the front space.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
********Vivienne's Label Showcase outfit
Picture this, with a purple bodice and cream tie belt! :D
********Vivienne's awesome shoes
Picture these, only DIY and turquoise/purple, not lime green. :D