Teenage Dream

Teenage Dream 4: PROM

Prom

Cassie Stevens

I walk into the gym. It’s my perfect fairytale. Everyone’s dresses pop with the simple color scheme, and the lights reflect off of the balloons. The DJ spins a perfect mixture of old classics and new hits. People dance, or grid with each other. Couples sit holding hands and whispering to one another, while others linger by the punch. I look around. Everything is perfect, so why does it all feel so wrong?

Hallie Jones

I don’t even want to go to prom. I know I’ve been looking forward to it for, well, ever. But I honestly do not want to go. It’s going to look perfect, the music is going to be the most amazing blend possible, and she is going to look stunning. Why does she have to do this? Why does she have to be in charge of the one social event I have looked the most forward to? First she buys the most stunning knee length Miley at the Oscar’s esque dress, then she decides to dump me a week before prom. What a bitch. A hot bitch with gorgeous blonde hair and pretty blue eyes.

Cassie Stevens
Our song is playing. Our song is playing and I really do not know what I am supposed to do. I see her, I see her standing there in her dress. She went for the full length, blush pink gown. She looks, incredible. Did I make a mistake? I know I was pushing her, but how long can you wait for someone to come out? How long can you wait for them to publicly acknowledge your relationship? You would think after two years, she would be okay with it. She would be able to step out into the world and know that people would accept her. But she can’t do that. And it kills me to watch her dance with a guy. But that’s what she wants, and I can’t change that.

Hallie Jones
Okay, how many times must I be felt up before I go running back to Cassie? I want her. I really want her and, it isn’t worth it. It is not worth this feeling; this empty feeling where nothing seems like it’s going to be alright again. Prom is supposed to be magical. It is supposed to be the epitome of awesomeness. And here I am, about to cry because I’m dancing with this reasonably attractive baseball player when I really want to be kissing my ex girlfriend.

Cassie Stevens
Why did we pick this to be our song? Why did we pick this common song to represent our relationship? I mean, it’s an oldie. How often do you hear Faithfully by journey playing at a senior prom? Not often. But for some reason, a reason other than watching Rachel and Finn singing it on Glee, we chose it. God, what a dumb move. Not choosing this song, no that was such a good idea. But breaking up with Hallie? That was stupid. I should have let her keep her secret. I should have let her keep the secret. Whatever, the bitch should have caved.

Hallie Jones
I’m going to do it. I’m soooo going to do it. I look at Todd, smile and walk out of his arms. I can do this. I can do this. I am Hallie Jones, head cheerleader and debate captain. I can do this. She’s only a girl. A girl who broke my heart in two, but I can do it. I can do it.

Cassie Stevens
Why is she walking towards me? Why? Why is she smiling? Why oh my god what is she doing. Why are her hands on my cheeks? Why is she why-oh. Oh I get it.

Hallie Jones
I missed kissing her. I really missed this. I missed her touch, I missed her flesh on mine. I missed this feeling of utter bliss. It’s as if I stepped into the ultimate salon shoe sale. All the purses I can dream of, Chanel, Dior, Louis Viton, Fendi and Prada were at my finger tips. It’s the bliss that you can’t buy, that no amount of chocolate or a perfect spa day can create. That’s what kissing Cassie is like. It’s complete heaven.

Cassie pulls away. “Why are you doing this?”
“I missed you,”
“Really?”
“Yes,”
“Everyone can see,”
“Are they staring?”
“Yes,”
“Well, who the hell cares,”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scout Tyler

I look like a freak. Oh my fucking god I look like a freak. Whoever invented the little black dress is stupid. This is the dumbest outfit I’ve ever put on. Who invented this? Who decided girls should wear heels? Why? It’s dumb. Not everyone can walk in three inch high shoes. Who wears these tight dresses and prances around with make up on? I want to wear jeans. I want to wear black skinny jeans and a tank top. I want to ride my skateboard and chill at the skate park by myself. Not go to some fucking dance that everyone apparently idolizes. I mean, prom isn’t anything special. What happens at prom? Well as Ryan Atwood says, “People get drunk and throw up on the gym floor”. I whole heartedly believe that he is right. What’s more, is that you have to buy a fucking dress, go to damn dinner and after all of that trauma, you have to show up in a place of your ‘peers’ while they all judge you and mock your terrible dancing. And, some how you have to dig deep down into the deepest part of your blacker than black soul and muster up the courage to ask someone. Now whether that’s a boy or a girl I don’t really give a shit. But somehow you have to ask someone and then once you ask, you are supposed to have a good time. How you have a good time when everyone is judging you and staring I really don’t know. But here I am. In a dress. I hate dresses. But this one is pretty nice, I mean it’s black. Which looks good with the theme, and I’m wearing a gold sweater. Which I guess looks nice. But this ass of a date I have is going to ruin the one day I look nice with his drinking. I mean, first his stupid ass friend spikes the punch, but then Tobin has to go and sneak in his own flask filled with vodka. Now he takes a swig every few minutes. Worst of all, he is trying to grind his ass against mine. So not only is he going to get ass shaped sweat stains on my nice dress, but he is going to vomit all over me. Furthering my humiliation and the ruining of the one item of clothing I own that is over $30. The silver lining, if there even is one in my poor excuse for a life, is that Jude isn’t here. Lucky for me that the one guy I want to see in my dress is not here. I wish he was.
“Hey hey, I wanna make love in this club,” Tobin sings while he grinds on me. “Ow baby! Don’t you feel it?”
“If you’re talking about my soul dying, then yes. I feel it real deep,”
“No, I mean you fucking feel what I’m feeling for your hot ass,”
“Um, no,”
“Oh damn baby, let me get you good,” he says. He pulls me into him and plants his lips on mine. They’re wet. Super wet and his tongue is trying to move into my mouth. Oh my god it’s in my mouth. Oh my god it’s touching my damn mouth. Oh my fucking god.
I shove him away.
“You fucking perve! Ew ew!!” I yell. Oh fuck. Isn’t this what always happens? Someone at prom loses it and yells at someone while everyone stares. I just happen to be that person. Great. As if I wasn’t pathetic enough, I have to go and make a scene at prom. Tobin stares at me.
“What’s your problem bitch?” He yells. I turn and walk away. What worse could happen? Tobin has already taken my already low self esteem to negative levels, he’s ruined my one good dress, and he’s made me look like some cheap prostitute in front of everyone. Oh, and it’s raining. Here is what Hollywood doesn’t tell you about prom: it’s awkward, it’s not fun, the dress isn’t worth it, the guy is never who you want it to be, and no matter how hard you try, if you run out and it happens to rain, your shoes get slushy your hair gets ruined and you will have to pay big bucks to get that one time only wear dress dry cleaned. So here I stand, in the rain. Cursing to myself because not only do I not have a ride home, but there is no awning outside of the gym so I am completely soaked. Prom sucks.
“Hey, Scout,” Oh great, a voice. A person in the distance talking to me. Is it God? Is this when I’m supposed to get Saved?
“Um, if you’re going to you know, bust a cap in my ass could you give me a warning? Because I’m fucking not goin down like that. This isn’t 8 Mile or Get Rich or Die Tryin’. I’m not your bitch or that girl that you can take and all of a sudden be all damn girl you so fine while you rape and pillage the little I’ve got on me,”
“Scout, it’s Jude. I’m not a fucking rapist or a kidnapper. Sure I smoke here and then but I can’t rap and I don’t know how to shoot a gun. So don’t give me that shit,”
“oh, okay,” I yell.
“So, ditch Tobin?”
“Yeah, he’s kind of an ass,” I yell.
“I know, I uh, I wanted to ask you but he kinda beat me to it,”
“Why are we yelling across a fucking parking lot?”
“Do you honestly think I’m not a rapist trying to lure you to my truck? Or that I don’t have my gang members ready to shoot after your next step?”
“You’re freaking me out,”
“In a good or a bad way?”
“In an evolution, Mariah Carey’s voicemail to the fans kind of way,” I yell.
“Oh, so not in a ‘I wanna eat your soul’ Joaquin Phoenix kind of way?” He yells.
“No, and not in a ‘your blood is intoxicating’ True Blood, Vampire Diaries kind of a way,”
“So evolution,”
“Evolution,” I say.
“Whales and dolphins to humans... I get it,” He yells.
“This whole yelling is getting annoying,” I yell.
“What do you suppose we do?” he yells.
“You have the penis aren’t you supposed to know?”
“But you think with the brain inside your skull, so shouldn’t you know?”
“This is fucking ridiculous.” I call.
“Let’s meet half way,”
“At the borderline?” I sing.
“The Black Eyed Peas are so 2008,”
“Fine,” I say. I walk towards him, or this guy who is apparently Jude Nelson.
“Is your dress shiny?”
“Yes, it’s got a gold stripe or gold like material. I mean if it was gold it would cost a fucking load,” I say. We stop and face each other.
“I like it.”
“Are you wearing a gold tie?”
“Yeah,”
“SHIT! We match,”
“Damn straight,”
“So, what now? Because if nothing is going to happen, I’m well pretty fucking cold and wet. And I’m like a dog, if I get wet I um start to smell. So, either we make like Harry and apparate or we make like a fish and swim away.”
“You’re an odd kid,”
“Damn, hurt my feelings a little more,”
“I can fix it,”
“You fucking better,” I say. he places a hand on my hip and one on my cheek. “Um, isn’t this too predictable?”
“I thought that’s what prom was, an event where every girl gets to live out her teenage fantasy,”
“No, not ever girl gets to sleep with the teacher or the quarterback of the football team,”
“Oh, my bad,”
“Um, I don’t dance. So if this was going to turn into a dancing in the rain event, I’m out,”
“No, this was going to turn into a kissing in the rain event,”
“That ends with us both catching colds and writing in our diaries how it was ‘So worth it!’?”
“Exactly,”
“That’s a little too, John Hughes, Brat Pack for me,”
“Is it?”
“Yeah,”
“Well, that’s just too fucking bad,” He says. He leans in and kisses me.
Despite this ‘fairytale’ ending, Prom still sucks ass.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Madison Davis

“This night, is perfect,” Kyle whispers in my ear. He’s right. This is like the most perfect night of my whole life.
“I know,” I say. He smiles at me and adjusts my crown. Being prom queen was really the icing on the seven tiered cake. I mean, this night has been perfect. How many girls end up with the loves of their lives, virginity in tacked, and wearing an ah-mazing dress on prom night? This is really what dreams are made of.
“So, I was thinking,” Kyle asks.
“What?”
“Maybe, this summer we should take a trip. Just you and me for a week or two,”
“Really?”
“Yeah, I’ve already cleared it with the parents,”
“Where are we going?”
“Paris,”
“Paris?”
“Yep, just you and me for two weeks in the city of love,”
“Kyle, that’s, amazing!”
“I know, you deserve the world,”
“When do we leave?”
“The day after graduation,”
“Oh my god,”
“You and me Madison, eating in the Eiffel Tour, wondering the streets of Paris, going to the Louvre, eating croissants,”
“You’re perfect,”
“Thank you,” He kisses my forehead.
“You know what would make this night even more perfect?”
“A diamond ring?”
“What?”
“I got this for you. It’s not an engagement ring, not yet. We’re too young. But it’s a promise ring. A promise to be faithful to each other and to cherish the time we have as well as a promise to be honest and true,”
“That’s a lot to say with one ring,”
“I know, but, it felt right. It still feels right. And I want you to have it Madison Davis, forever,” he says. He slips it on my ring finger. It’s a gorgeous 14k gold ring with a diamond heart on it. It’s the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
“I won’t take it off, ever, I promise,”
“Well, one day when you have an engagement ring you should take it off. So that you know, they don’t rub against each other and so that no one gets the wrong idea,”
“I’m pretty sure people will already have ideas when they see me wearing this Ky. But I don’t care, I love it and I love you and I’m wearing it everyday,” I tell him.
“I love you Madison,”
“I love you too Kyle. This night was perfect.”